Lost: The 6th & Final Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm surprised nobody has started a thread yet as the final season starts in just a few weeks. I'm a relative newcomer to the show, having watched most all of the first 5 seasons via Netflix during the past year or so. I only have the final episode of the 5th season left to watch. So the final season will be the only one I will get to see as it actually unfolds. I guess I'll need to get used to commercial interruptions!

So how is everyone feeling about it? Looking forward to another season? Are you glad it's almost over? Will you be bummed out in the end? I know that I'll be upset. Lost brought me back to television in a big way.

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Waiting on this, big time. :righton:

And, I will miss it when it's gone.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll be glad it's over. I've watched it from the beginning on TV, and have been through the disc sets three times except for Season Five, only once so far. (This show looks beautiful on Blu-Ray!)

Hope it has a conclusive and acceptable ending and "explication."

5. bruce_campbell

bruce_campbell New Member

Never seen an episode. I thought about getting the dvds but decided to wait until it ends to see if the internet shuts down from people posting about how it "sucked worse than the X-files finale". If the world doesn't end from a sucky Lost ending then I will get the dvds.

6. Lonson

If the world DOES end because Lost does, that validates one of my theories. . . :)

7. vince

Ba, ba, WHAT?!?!?!?
    Well, being a 'Lostie-come-lately', be warned, it felt a little 'soap-y' at the beginning there. By the end of Season 1, you should be nice and 'hooked'! I know I was...
    I started with the re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel. My wife would come in every so often to ask, "Why are you watching this?" Then , by the end of Season 2, SHE WAS HOOKED.... forcing us to rent all the seasons on DVD of the holiday of 2008.

8. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I started watching last year via Netflix.....Dvds are a great way to watch a show. I watched 3 episodes a night.

9. vince

My theory is.............

They're gonna do a 'parellel universe'-style flashback: showing though out the season what WOULD'VE happened if the bomb actually WORKED......... maybe.

thgord likes this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I was there from the beginning (well, almost). The day after the premiere that I'd missed through ignorance of even knowing about it, a co-worker urged me to watch it. Fortunately ABC was re-rerunning the opener that Saturday evening, and from that point on, I was hooked.

I've got all of the DVDs up to this season, but haven't spent much time watching them. Initially, I re-watched much of Season One on DVD just before starting up Season Two, since that first season was such a groundbreaker and at that point everyone was looking for anything they could see in background shots and corners of the screen.

I'm both looking forward to the show's conclusion and not - since the show will then be over. It will be nice to have some answers (I don't anticipate the creators answering EVERYTHING), but I'm not one of those who lamented not knowing what the ultimate explanation was from week to week.

So many people seem to have gotten frustrated each week when not only did old questions not get answered but new questions were raised.

We've gotten a lot of answers to date, and I'm pretty satisfied with most. But the real treat of LOST is the ride itself. Getting there is MOST of the fun.

Harry

thgord likes this.
  11. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

The season 5 finale ruined the entire show.

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Care to elaborate?

13. vince

Maybe the fact that we can't tell if the bomb worked or not?
    "Coz I gotta tell ya', the stuff with Ben & Jacob & the 'not-Locke'....... KILLER!!! Good stuff! Michael Emerson DESERVED THAT EMMY!!!

14. Bender Rodriguez

SPOILERS!!

So it turns out that all the events of the series occurred so that one character that has barely appeared in the series can kill another character who has barely appeared in the series. The characters in who's lives viewers have been invested for five years are merely bit players and the real main characters, those pulling the strings, are characters we have barely seen and in whom we have no emotional investment.
    That's what I mean when I say the whole Jacob/(Esau?) thing ruined the series. The events in which our main characters have been involved are merely the manipulations in the rivalry of two unknown characters.

It's like the Duke brothers ruining people's lives over a dollar bet.

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I stopped reading after "SPOILERS!!"

Are these season 5 spoilers or season 6 spoilers?

16. Bender Rodriguez

17. vince

Dude, there's tons of 'shoulda, woulda, couldas' ALL OVER THE SERIES!
    The WORST in my mind happened when Mr. Friendly gives Jack, Locke, & Sawyer the 'when-you-enter-a-man's-home' speech..... I'm mean, C'MON, guys!
    My fictional re-write!;
    JACK: "Oh, yeah? Well, when a PLANE CRASHES IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE, do you just quietly hang around, not helping injured people, telling them where they are, steal a pregnant girl, and strangle a rock star????" :realmad:

But, that's just splitting hairs.
    Like Bill Hicks says: "It's just a ride."

18. Lonson

I'm not one of those who has to have all the answers, who's been theorizing nonstop, etc. I enjoy the journey. I'm ready for it to end though, after five seasons.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

hopefully the ending will be the highlight of the series...the writers sucked. They must have had some super strong weed and killer brownies...

I'm glad it's ending...I don't believe I could have stood another flashback or surprise sibling.:rolleyes:

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

For you perhaps - certainly not for me.

Harry

21. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Season 5 was great. I don't love everything about the series, but I love the series overall. Still incredibly involved and just several fascinating aspects to it.

Have watched it through season1 and looking forward to see what happens soon.

22. vince

My candidate for the word to make a 'drinking game' with:

"Absolutely."

23. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

For me, 'Lost' ranks second right up to my favorite series 'The Prisoner'.

Both had flaws. Are they major or minor? Depends upon your perspective.

Lost:
    One of the best first episodes ever.

Twists, turns, flashbacks, flashforwards that all seemed to push the series along.

The episode that got my wife's and mine attention - the very first Locke-centric episode where the wheelchair is revealed.

We now know the mysterious Jacob. Is he really flesh and blood?

Who is the mysterious 'friend/enemy' of Jscob, or, the "non-Locke" as someone previously mentioned? It appears he knows enough to be patient and find a loophole.

I see no problem in introducing new characters and new subplots (in what ever form). From the end of Season 5, we now have several besides Jacob and the "non-Locke" - the passengers from Flight 316. I, for one, am interested in Ilana's story.

A series, especially one like this, need not and should not be tidy and linear. However it ends, I don't see it sucking (I don't expect it will solve everything and there will no doubt be something I don't like, but I'm betting on it being satisfying). I don't think there will be collective outrage like there was for 'The Prisoner' when it ended the first time it was shown in England.

The writers and the ancillary staff have been great - hats off to them all and a special thanks to Greg Nations, the continuity expert.

Oh, and where is Claire?!

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Now there's more a full time job that would probably finish him up in a straight jacket babbling to himself.

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Cannot wait here...it has taken so long for this complete story to develop!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.