Lost: The 6th & Final Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think the purpose of Desmond (and the reason that they tested him with the magnetic device) was to somehow reunite the two timelines into a single continuity. I'm not sure to what end but I've been telling my wife this was the most logical narrative resolution to the split story.

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Considering Des has seen his 'constant', it may make him invincible; now, I assume he needs the manifest to re-unite the 'gang', but HOW THE HECK IS HE GONNA DO THAT?!?!?!?

3. SPOILERS:
    Probably the same way his wife knew--they seem to be someone "gifted" as "Others" to be able to see alternate timelines/possible outcomes of reality in a way that Richard is not (although he has other gifts) which might be why they were selected originally to "lead" the Others and why Richard would go to a prospective "leaders" home to test them with items that "might" show up later that they would use in their lives, etc.

I think that and the ability to intunte possible threads for the future.

I like the fact that we heard an echo from before from his wife "What happened, happened".--It suggests that they can't undo the past but they can CHANGE the present perhaps by reuniting these two timelines into a single one. As to the outcome of this, we don't know but maybe that also plays into keeping Smokey trapped on the island because, if that's the case, Locke might somehow resume existence (how I'm not sure yet) in the timeline. Then again, "what happened...happened" suggests that what's in the past can't be undone but WHICH past? Which reality will become the "true" one that all characters experience? I suspect they won't lose their memories of the alternate life whichever one comes into existence (I suspect the one where they never were on the island will be the one that will come into existence and dominate).

Since the characters are all tied together in some way intersecting regardless of which reality they are living in, perhaps this is also a way for Jack (if he is chosen to succeed Jacob) to "live" his life AND also serve on the island--an alternate Jack that shares his life with the other Jack and shares his experiences, etc. while also remaining on the island.

As for Widmore--he probably had a sense that Desmond was bound for greater and more deadly things which was why he never "approved" of him and tried to push him away from Penny to prevent her pain. He also may have recognized from the moment he met him that he was bound for the island and was just pushing him towards destiny. He may not have completely understood his destiny.

It's not a coincidence that "Lost" shares a similar storyline regarding "alternate" realities as "Fringe" I might add--I suspect that Abrams was involved in helping to set up the resolution with Cuse and Lindeloff.

If this is the payoff of the series by the way it will make it even more like a Phil Dick novel....

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

5. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Charles seems privy to a lot of information the rest of the cast is not. Remember he was on the island from the 50s through the 80s at least, maybe even born there. He also has information from the Black Rock ship (diary). His son was a physicist.

And I'm not sure he knew about D. going to the alternate reality. He was trying to see if Desmond would survive the large energy release....He has a task coming that only Desmond can do....?

I also remember what he told Ben: "The island was mine. It always was, and will be again." Gotta be something to it.

6. vince

I don't think I've ever seen a show that's left me this hungry for MORE!!
    Maybe it's the internet age (where you can watch episodes as often as you wish, with fewer commercials), but, those cuts to commercials really get up my skin!!

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That seems to be his motif, overall. Remember when he kept doing that switching from present to past, and it was making him sick from mental time travel a couple seasons ago. Until he contacted Penny to get grounded in reality. It seems like last night was an echo of that type of thing or a pre-echo from the side story, where he tried to find Penny and did, at the stadium.

8. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Agreed. The Desmond episodes always seem to be the best. The one where he was time-slipping was the best Lost episode ever IMO.

9. vince

I think that's why he got that 'I'm high'-look on his face..... maybe this will end in a 'love-will-concur-all' type senerio!

10. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

As soon as he met Penny, he went back to the island, while fainting in the sideways timeline..she's definitely his constant, which seems important for future episodes.

I think Whitmore and Eloise need to be "humbled"...they've been "in the know" far too long without sharing, and that should be addressed, imo. We'll either see them losing something, or get a back story where they are humbled, which will balance the scales in how we see them. Right now, imo, they seem too....in control. I'm not sure if that's the best way to describe the impression I'm getting, but I expect that to change, to see more.... lack of control or desperation I guess.... from both. Possibly one of them will be the body for the MIB. I'm still wondering; if Jacob gets replaced, does that mean MIB will be as well if he's "killed"? If so, one of the Whitmore's will probably get the job.

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

:righton: That alternate universe (ie: the west coast) is just too strange, We're gonna have to send Desmond over there to straighten things out.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Before we get into another argument about west coast vs east coasters posting......let me try to sum it up:

The simple fact is, it would be much easier if west coasters and UK people just refrain from viewing this thread. To get everyone to comply the other way around is just not feasible.

13. musicalbeds

I had the same problem with Rescue Me...for years it ran in Canada months after the U.S., and so I couldn't participate in the thread that was here, started during the American broadcast.

With this situation, we're just talking hours for the West Coasters, and a few days for the UK folks. However, using the spoiler blue blocks might help, but then again, the whole thread would be like that in many places, which would make it harder to read for everyone.
    I don't know how to use the blue blocks, or I'd have done so....anyone care to share their expertise in this field?

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

exactly. its one thing to post as spoiler stuff that you know happens in future episodes. Its ridiculous though to ask people who viewed it live to hide what happened because someone in LA didnt watch. If you dont want to be spoiled, is it really that freaking hard to wait til AFTER you watched the episode to join in?

Hey guys, I DVR'd last ngiht's can we keep everyting as a spoiler till I catch up on Thursday afternoon? Thanks!

15. musicalbeds

LOL, I wouldn't wanna send him to the candidate most responsible for this whole time fiasco.... but someone's gotta have a chat with that ol' rascal, the sun.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I Tivo the show and watch it a few hours, or a day, later. I do not find it difficult to avoid reading this thread after an episode I've not yet watched (but which has already aired).

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Despite being in the UK, I agree. The problem is that, while I'm watching the show in my real time, for you its a parallel (but equally real and genuine) universe :)

By abstaining from this thread until I've watched any given episode I'm always unable to actively participate in the discussion. And by the time I've caught up, you guys are on to the next one.

It's sad for me but it's just the way it is. I've still enjoyed the chat and some of the theories and suggestions have really made me think so, overall, this thread is still a place worth visiting even if I'm only able to press my nose against the glass.

:cheers:

18. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

A basic question but I can't remember. The origin of the "others" has not been revealed yet, correct? Also, the makeup of the "others" has sort of changed over the years with various actors portraying various characters. I wonder if there are competing factions of "others".

19. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

But he didn't go to John house to test him as we originally thought, he went there (as it turns out) because 50's John told him to.

20. vince

After re-watching last nites episode, imo the sideways LA-verse is Jacobs "doings" and the real timeline is MIB's. MIB originally said that man would fight and take,which is anger and greed (i.e.EMOTIONS). Love is the most powerful emotion. When Eloise said that looking at Penny's name was against the rules, I think she meant Jacob's rules. Just a thought.

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: A local thread for local people.

Or do what I do, i.e. not read the thread till you've seen the episode if you're bothered about spoilers.
    Great episode by the way.

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There are a number of LOST forums out there and one of the "rules" they have are that spoilers are not allowed UNTIL the show has aired somewhere in the world. If a Canadian or UK showing happens to be ahead of Eastern Time in the US, then following those showings one is allowed to discuss anything.

I realize that it's a man-made way to deal with a spinning sphere, but time zones are what they are. The fact that the East Coast generally gets things first is just the way it is. Once the show airs here (if indeed here is first), then anyone else who hasn't seen the show shouldn't be opening the thread if they so object to spoilers.

Seems like common sense to me.

By the way last night's show was awesome. I loved all of the subtle (and not-so-subtle) parallels between Desmond's sideways life and the crash timeline. Seeing him put in a MAGNETIC Resonance Imager and given a BUTTON to press was just a hoot. We actally stopped the recording to see if the numbers on the MRI happened to be familiar. Unfortunately they weren't.

Harry

23. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Oh, yes. S6E11. Lost as I love it.

24. Because he's going to get them all together (or see them individually) and allow them to experience what he did--a moment from the other life.

25. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

The more I think about it, the more I think Eloise may be on team MIB. She could be a linking element back to the Jacob/MIB storyline. She is one of (possibly a handful) of people that both Jacob/MIB have working for them in both time realities. It would explain her ability to "just know" what it is Desmond is looking for and why she demands he steer clear of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.