Lost: The Sixth and Final Season-"The End" (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now you've all done it!
    The wife and I are re-watching the show........ again!

alexpop likes this.
  2. I would agree to an extent BUT providing the resolution they did kind of cheapened the experience for me. While it's nice to have all the pieces neatly tied up, I'm OK if they don't do that provided that the conclusion knows you out. The last season with the "sideways" story I felt was a cheat with the reveal and it could have been developed far better. Still, over all, the first couple of seasons were extremely strong and towards the end again the show found its "voice".

Still one of the best pilot episodes ever. Bit of trivia--Michael Keaton had signed on to play Jack but pulled out once he realized the committment he would have to make when the character wasn't killed off in the pilot as originally envisioned.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. I agree with you. I felt the whole "plut in the island" thing was both cheesy in execution and conception. The "sideways" story because of the reveal lost much of its dramatic power for me. Sometimes telling people WHY things happened is less important than showing what happened to the characters.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes! The score was a big plus factor on second viewing,never noticed it before.​
    Both 5 & 6 series were rushed!
    They could easily have extended the show for another two series, there was no back charactor development with the new charactors that were added.

5. alexpop

Will there ever be a Directors cut of Lost ?

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I was not a watcher from the beginning. I was like many others who, on the advent of the video iPod and iTunes video store, immediately bought both of the pilots for the first series to appear on the store - LOST, and Desperate Housewives. Honestly, after watching the first half of the Pilot, I was completely drug in and the wife and I proceeded to catch up with binge viewing nightly. I also really enjoyed the first season of Housewives, but never moved past that. I never watch network TV, but I did get completely caught up in Lost, then 24, and the BB.

I did think the last season and a half got a little tedious, but I was fine with the ending. I always thought that the writing did a nice job of moving through the storylines and generally took the effort to develop a story that kept things mysterious and somewhat bizarre, but never really getting off track.

Quite the opposite of the Star Trek reboot, which I had huge hopes for with the same team, yet was hugely disappointed with. Using time travel to fix or set up a story line, has to be the lamest and laziest writing EVER. But I guess I just expected so much more from Abrahms. I guess he'll be screwing with the Star Wars fans now with Episode VII, but that was always a kids series to me, having none of the significance and intelligence of the Trek franchises. But that's a whole other bunch of threads.......

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The Empire Strikes Back is on of the best sci-fi/fantasy films ever made. I agree with you regarding the use of time travel in the Star Trek reboots. It was completely unnecessary. The original prime Star Trek universe had plenty of room for an origin story. There was absolutely no need to alter the time line. If they wanted to bring Nimoy into the film, the could have simply had him telling the story in flashback form.

8. alexpop

Did any of the cast get another hit show after Lost ?

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Daniel Dae Kim - Hawaii Five-O
    Michael Emerson - Person Of Interest
    Ian Somerhalder - Vampire Diaries
    Yun Jin Kim - Mistresses
    Emile de Ravin - Once Upon A Time
    Nestor Carbonell - Bates Motel

That's just off the top of my head. Elizabeth Mitchell was on V for a season, Revolution for 2 seasons and is currently on Once Upon A Time. I've seen many of them show up as special guests on various shows. My favorite was Jorge Garcia making a cameo appearance on Fringe, doing bong hits with Walter Bishop. Mark Pellegrino (Jacob) has been doing lots of bad guy roles on various shows, including playing Satan on Supernatural.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Never seen any of those shows.
    I'd give "Lost" 10/10.
    How do the others rate?

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They could theoretically do that. Some of the first cuts of the episodes I worked on were a good 3-4 minutes longer than what finally got aired.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Would that be the BD deleted scenes ?

13. alexpop

Better the second viewing.
    Time to move on.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

One of my first big problems with the show (other than a totally unrealistic plane crash sequence) was that other than Jack telling people people he was a doctor, they had no reason to believe he was a doctor. Everyone he touched in the early part of the series died and he couldn't diagnose asthma.

I realize that people who like this show feel its about fate and redemption, but anyone who has had any survival training realized that the writers obviously didn't and by extension the characters didn't either

1) If you ever survive a plane crash you never leave the crash site unless there is an imminent threat.
    2) Don't go walking around in the jungle with a bright torch in your hand looking for your enemy (the Others) because they're probably up on a hill with a high powered rifle a pointed 2 feet below the light. These people didn't know how to be tactical to save their butts.

As the first season was coming to an end I don't think anyone had yet guessed that all of this was happening in limboland. But said in a thread on this forum around that time that this program was turning into the most overrated in the history of TV and I still feel that way. These people wouldn't survived simply based on the stupid things they were doing.

Deesky likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

One of my first big problems with the show (other than a totally unrealistic plane crash sequence) was that other than Jack telling people people he was a doctor, they had no reason to believe (other than his word) he was a doctor. Everyone he touched in the early part of the series died and he couldn't diagnose asthma.

I realize that people who like this show feel its about fate and redemption, but anyone who has had any survival training realized that the writers obviously didn't and by extension the characters didn't either

1) If you ever survive a plane crash you never leave the crash site unless there is an imminent threat.
    2) Don't go walking around in the jungle in the middle of the night with a bright torch in your hand looking for your enemy (the Others) because they're probably up on a hill with a high powered rifle pointed 12 inches below the bright light.

As the first season was coming to an end I don't think anyone had yet guessed that all of this was happening in limboland. But I said in a thread on this forum around that time that this program was turning into the most overrated in the history of TV and I still feel that way. These people wouldn't have survived simply based on the stupid things they were doing.

16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Why would the characters have had any specialized survival training? They weren't on a special mission to go live on an island somewhere for an indefinite period of time. Normal people on a normal plane flight.

17. Drew

Drew Senior Member

You missed my point completely. Based on the stupid things they did, they all would've been dead by the end of season 2. And anybody at watching the show at home who did have any survival training would have thrown rocks at their TV at the end of each episodes because of the stupid things the characters were doing.

I wish stayed out of this thread because this program irritated me so much. If I lived in a climate where it didn't get cold in the winter I wouldn't have watched it the first time. I'm not going to waste the time watch it the 2nd.

Have a great day.

18. progrocker71

They went off the beach to find water. By your advise they should have stayed by the crash site and died of thirst.

alexpop and Lonson like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think the show was quite as bad as you say, but you bring up some good points.

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

For me it was unsatisfying every step of the way but I would've taken it in a different direction after the first season. I actually watch less TV since Lost (and I didn't think that was possible) because I'm afraid I'm going to invest a bunch of time into something that doesn't have a payoff.

The one thing people in this thread can legitimately say is "why did you watch it if you feel so strongly about it" and I'm embarrassed that i don't have an answer.

21. progrocker71

"Limboland"? Only someone that didn't watch the series (or misunderstood it) would say that.

If the series had just been a "survival show" I never would have watched it, I tuned in because of the supernatural/fantasy elements and the great characters. I approached it like "Twilight Zone on an island".

JimC and zobalob like this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They weren't in limboland. That's a HUGE misconception. They were in limbo after the fact, after they had all died, either on the island or after they left the island.

They stayed at the crash site for most of the series' run. The crash site was their camp site. They used wreckage from the plane as shelter. They had to occasionally walk away from the camp site for food or, you know, for entertainment purposes. What kind of show would it have been if they were just chillin' on the beach for 6 seasons?

They didn't know how to be tactical, because they weren't tacticians. They were everyday people from all walks of life who just survived a horrible plane crash. You're right that the Others probably could have easily killed them if they wanted to, but they obviously didn't want to. As Tom said to Jack in the season 2 episode The Hunting Party, "This is not your island, this is our island, and the only reason you're living on it is because we let you live on it."

23. progrocker71

I still see people post on Facebook about how "they were all dead" for the entire series, or "the entire show took place in purgatory!". Which just cracks me up since only the flash-sideways sections of season 6 would apply.

Encuentro likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But it pretty much turned out the Island was owned by no one, and was an entity unto itself. People came and went, humans lived and died, but the Island went on. So I think the Others merely had the illusion that they owned the Island.

I never got a clear sense of what The Others' real mission was, aside from murdering all the original Dharma people 20+ years earlier. They certainly weren't picking up on the scientific experiments and doing stuff there... most of those labs were dusty and forgotten, with old 1980s equipment that had never been upgraded.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Weren't the Others just always there as evidenced by Jacob's flashback episode near the end of season 6? I was under the impression that the Others were the ancestors of the inhabitants portrayed in that episode. If that is the case, then their only real mission was to live their lives on the island and follow the word of Jacob, Jacob being their messiah. Jacob's mission was to find his replacement. I think both he and the Others saw the Dharma folk as threat to the island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.