Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

A thread for the musical side of this discussion:

Great Lost Performances

2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Forum Resident

No problem! That was one of George Pal's Puppetoons. They are certainly not "lost," but have become somewhat obscure and sometimes difficult to see. By the way, a selection of them (including this one) are on Blu-Ray:

The Puppetoon Movie Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Ah, domo arigato gozaimashita!

4. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

GET-TV ran through the series several times over the last few months, although they skipped a few episodes which we have from the USA or HA run.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

L.A. T-Birds roller derby from the early 1970s. Later versions are sprinkled on YooToob, but not those of the episodes I viewed back in the day.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery Picture Member

I wouldn't put the show TOPPER in the "lost" category, but I'd love to see it lovingly restored and released at least on DVD.

Alan G. likes this.
  9. James Slattery

Almost all of the great Roller Games (not Derby) from the heyday of the late 60s to early 70s is gone. Wiped or degaussed by Bill Griffiths. Pity.

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Forum Resident

I looked up Pixanne. I never watched it, but I have heard of it. And like Winchell-Mahoney Time, how sad is it that a show could continue to air in syndicated reruns well after it was out of production, and still at some point become lost forever. It was airing on WFLD-Channel 32 in Chicago as late as 1973. Of course, that's a heck of a long time ago.

Off topic (since these are not lost), it fascinates me that syndicated shows on color videotape from the 1960s could have aired on local stations as late as the 1980s or 1990s. There were two sets of the syndicated Bozo The Clown shows (produced in 1965-66 in Boston) released on DVD. The show itself is no great classic (I say that as a Chicagoan, maybe for obvious reasons) but they are fascinating to see. But the DVD sets are frustrating. One show from Volume 1 is repeated on Volume 2. (130 were produced.) They are in some kind of random sequence with 1966 shows appearing before 1965 shows. They are just listed as "Show 1" through "Show 30" on both sets, with no info about the real original episode numbers, and the Bozo cartoons are mostly unidentified by title.

But they are cool to have.

11. James Slattery

What still survives many times is just random. The kinescopes of games 6 & 7 of the 1952 World Series somehow survived whereas NBC tossed out all of the rest of their baseball kines from the 50s and 60s. Mickey Mantle's 500th HR survives because an engineer at WPIX clipped it off the 2-inch and saved it. There really has never been any planned preservation effort by the networks, the studios or individual stations. 30 Lloyd Thaxton Shows exist randomly out of the 800 or so that were produced, and no, not because of them being important guests. Just blind luck as to which ones made it. The rest were donated for tape stock.