Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Great news! Link please. I can't find it anywhere. I'd love to watch it again.

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I don’t have a link. The reason for my confidence that the show exists is that CBC kept their 1960s productions when others were trashing stuff. By 1981, they were keeping everything. Seeing Things aired in many other countries too. It certainly is not lost. No suggestions as to how you can see it today but it will show up.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. JozefK

Alien Lover (1975)

A teenager moves in with her aunt and uncle after leaving a mental hospital and becomes increasingly preoccupied with a television set in the attic, claiming a man from another dimension communicates with her through it. Dig that final shot! Made for TV, originally aired 11/25/75 on ABC's "Wide World of Mystery"​

Starring Pernell Roberts and in her TV debut, Kate Mulgrew.

Written by George Lefferts who adapted Ray Bradbury's 'Zero Hour' for the NBC Science Fiction Radio Drama series X Minus One. Directed by Lela Swift, who directed many episodes of Dark Shadows (1966 to 1971).

Steve Litos and JohnO like this.
  5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Ronald Coleman and his wife Benita Hume starred in "The Halls of Ivy" for CBS during 1954-55. They previously starred in a radio version. I'm not certain if the TV series is lost or not, but I have never seen an episode, nor a clip, anywhere.
    "Bonino" starring Ezio Pinza on NBC in 1953. I've never seen it anywhere. Coincidentally, Mary Wickes co-starred as a housekeeper in both series.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  6. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I had never seen a B&W episode of both "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie" until the late '80s or early '90s, until they appeared on (I think) Nick at Nite. I never saw them syndicated in the '70s.

7. JozefK

If you're dying to see anything by this pair, a few days ago I watched the live '56 version of "Bang The Drum Slowly" on YT and they popped up in a commercial.

8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Madhouse On Castle Street: broadcast on BBCTV and featuring a specially imported Bob Dylan in a supporting role. Dylan sang several songs that he never recorded and gave the first (ever) broadcast performance of Blowin' In The Wind.

The tape was junked in 1968, by which time Dylan was an international star (and lead actor David Warner had been acclaimed the Hamlet of his generation):

Madhouse on Castle Street - Wikipedia

It's important to remember that, at this time, television was considered an ephemeral medium (as was pop music). Neither was considered 'art'. Videotape was expensive and BBC budgets, then as now, were tight. But it does make you want to bang your head against the wall....

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Not sure if this has been brought up in this thread or not, but "Monty Python's Flying Circus" has some footage from certain episodes which appears to be either lost, or possibly extant only in pre-1980 home tape copies. This has been public knowledge for a long time, but I'm not sure if there is full documentation of what is actually missing. I sure would like to know.

What happened, as I understand it, is the show originated in England and was produced by BBC between 1969 and 1974. By 1974, PBS picked it up in the United States. Also in 1974, some of the shows aired in edited form on the U.S. ABC network. The Python group objected, there was a lawsuit, and Python ended up with ownership of the shows.

But the show was withdrawn from American distribution for a few years. It was first distributed by Time-Life, and they had a different set of master tapes which were more complete and maybe not subject to later BBC edits and censorship. Apparently these versions (which were last seen in 1980) were not archived, and at least one subsequent DVD release has one of the missing skits as an extra, taken from a You Tube download of an American PBS rerun.

RobRoyF and chilinvilin like this.
  10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I have one episode of each. As to whether or not the full series exist or not, I can't say. Halls was I believe ITC produced or distributed and Network DVD has released many ITC series, although ones like this and others that were produced for the U.S. market they haven't put out. If Bonino exists, it would be in the NBC kinescope collection at Library of Congress. I've seen the list but don't remember if that show is in there or not. I can tell you a few other live NBC shows are there, such as Great Ghost Tales and Too Young to Go Steady.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  11. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

More lost Lift Off and Top Of The Pops discovered:

(Watch to the end)

chilinvilin likes this.
  12. James Slattery

Lots of "lost" shows were recorded on half inch reel to reel and are waiting to be discovered. Those machines first hit the market in 1965! Color ones came out around 1969. Just a matter of locating the people who had them before they die and their heirs toss them in the dumpster. Since tape was invented, civilians have always done a better job and cared more about preservation than the entities that broadcast the material.

chilinvilin likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Bill Dana Show...still missing in action after a short lived DVD-r set that just disappeared...really love to have this on BD!

14. James Slattery

Stanley Moger from SFM had plans to do a release but he passed away a few months ago.

15. Michael

that's too bad. : (

16. JozefK

chilinvilin and jtiner like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. I was about to post that I know I've seen various comps with Capt. Kang episodes then I realized I was confusing him with Red Skelton. So close!

18. Michael

didn't miss an episode!

gorangers likes this.
  19. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I love hearing that. It’s a shame that the shows weren’t kept for posterity. Great that they still live on in memories.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

Indeed...so many stored away... great times!

21. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

So many local shows when I grew up in the sixties near New Haven CT....Admiral Jack....Ranger Andy...Mr Goober. All kids shows. Mr Goober was actually Mike Warren. Later in the day he read the news on our local ABC affiliate...too funny.

I was on Admiral Jack. He picked me out of the audience and put me in a kiddie pool...no water...but man did I cry....lol.

22. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Here’s an interesting blog about The Off Show:

Off Show, The/The Of Show | Nostalgia Central

Kind of insane considering how much money is spent on production to just wipe the tape.

The same goes for the ABC’s and BBC’s wiping policy’s in general. The best argument against wiping I’ve heard is:

“It takes tens of thousands to make a TV show, yet it’s all gone when you wipe the tape which is the least expensive thing in the chain”.

chilinvilin, djblaze and Mylene like this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Errol and Neil episode was shot on super 8 if I remember rightly. It had the 'joke' about a baby's arm holding an apple in it.

paulisdead likes this.
  24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

So was The Off Show a pilot or an entrie series that was wiped? I wonder if the filmed segments survived? A lot of film elements were discovered when the ABC moved from the Gore Hill Studios?

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was supposed to be shown on a certain night but when that night came the ABC showed an episode of A Big Country instead (Aunty Jack fans thought the Big Country episode was a fake and it would turn into something funny but it never did). There's a couple of sound bites from the Off Show on the deluxe edition of Aunty Jack Sings Wollongong.

In 2006, the album was re-released on compact disc, as a 2 disc set. Disc one is both sides of the original album, and disc two is a compilation of the Farewell Aunty Jack single, as well as songs used in the Aunty Jack series, Flash Nick From Jindavik, the Off Show, and News Free Zone.

1. "Farewell Aunty Jack" (single version)
    2. "Doin' The Aunty Jack" (B-side to "Farewell Aunty Jack")
    3. "Wollongong On The Mind"
    4. "Pearl Pureheart"
    5. "Be Bop A Lula"
    6. "A Football Opera"
    7. "Dear Scarlett"
    8. "Herman The Brave"
    9. "Teenage Butcher"
    10. "Do The Kev"
    11. "La Kookaracha"
    12. "Honalulu Lulu"
    13. "Norman Gunston's Second Dream"
    14. "You're Ugly"
    15. "Flash Nick From Jindavik"
    16. "Ride Riley Ride"
    17. "Off Show Theme"
    18. "Leave It To Jesus"
    19. "Away In A Major"
    20. "Budgie Pizza"
    21. "Queen Of The Gong"
    22. "Greenhouse Blues"
    23. "News Free Zone"
    24. "Please Respect Me"
    "Leave It To Jesus" is the opening theme to the sketch of the same name, a lampoon of Leave It To Beaver, which was to appear on an early episode of The Off Show - before an ABC-TV executive erased it on the night before it was due to be broadcast. It was this incident that led to Bond and O'Donoghue ending their association with ABC-TV for several years.

paulisdead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.