Loudspeakers I have owned, the list goes on

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nebin, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Single speaker in a wall mounted PA, inherited from my uncle. I thought it sounded damn good. Listened to it through my Panasonic Shortwave which also did FM. Don't know what happened to it.
    A pair of RatShack speakers in real wood cabs. If I remember, they cost C$40 and had rca jacks for inputs. Wish I still had them and could put new drivers in them. Don't know what happened to those either. I was about 11.
    Two Peerless Armature Speakers of Rochester from the 20s, one in a cathedral cab, the other in a sort of open box. These are rather interesting as you can drive them from tube amps sans the output transformer. The 80 year old leather surrounds are still in pretty good supple shape.
    Axiom two ways. Doing rear channel duty at the moment.
    3 Generations of Radio Shack LX5as. Wish I could get some more, because I have blown the tweeters on three units. I think an LX5 5.1 with subwoofer system would be awesome for a bedroom.
    Heybrook HB1s. My first real speaker. My father still uses them.
    TDL Transmission Lines. Great bass, tizzy top, and really nasty vinyl wrap. Blew one up trying to annoy a neighbour who simply wouldn't stop playing Lennon's Imagine. Use it as a mono system upstairs.
    Full Range Tapered Quarter Pipes by Bert Doppenberg. Did one thing amazingly: female weanie Jazz. Holly Cole, Lisa Ekdahl, etc. Nothing comes close, still. But man needs to live on more than weanie jazz.
    Tannoy D700s. Use them in the main system. A highly underated, highly wife acceptable, lovely speaker.
    Single Dominion Radio of Canada Cornerhorn supposedly built to a Klipsch design, though I have never found it. Comprises an EV 12 inch and a University high compression driver. Looks the business, but not really my cup of mono tea.
    15" Dual Concentric Tannoys in Throw Away (but unbelievably heavy cabinets) in the basement. Sound glorious. And do a mean HT.
    Weird Ohms that someone picked up for me in a junk shop. Look kind of nasty--sound great.
    Still looking for a pair of LS3/5as. Jeff

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Jeff, I'd surely love to see a pic of your speakers. Do you think you could indulge us with some??? :D

3. Coffee Jeff

Coffee Jeff Guest

Peerless Speakers

Hi,
    Somehow I blew out my account. I am now Coffee Jeff, but hope to be back to Cafe Jeff soon.

There are some nice pictures of Peerless speakers at:

http://members.aol.com/djadamson4/related.html

If you click on the pictures, it blows them up to a viewable size. Jeff

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Wow. Thanks Jeff! How do they sound, btw¡

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Javier,
    How do they sound?
    Well take the dynamics of a lowther, combine that with the midrange beauty of an ESL--subtract that, add a whistle filter to keep out regenerative birdies, use with state of then art equipment, i.e. TRF Radio of the twenties, and you have it!
    I think it is as Mr. Johnson had it, one should not criticize how the dog walks on two legs, but praise that he walks at all.
    Jeff
    Actually, they really are a lot of fun, and I never thought of trying them in Stereo, but...

6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Re: A/D/S L990

I bought a pair of L990's in 1986 to replace my original 1970 JBL 2 way book shelf speakers (I will have to look up the model number tonight at home). I had to replace the 990's with a pair of Snell bookshelf speakers when we moved in 1993 because the house did not work with the 990's. When we moved again in 2001 to a big place I got my HE system with Audio Physics Virgo's. Try the Audio Physics line of speakers, if you like the 990's you should like AP.

The weird thing is I still have all of the speakers (the JBL and ADS are stored and I use the Snell's with my TV). I guess I get attached to my speakers, my wife hates it.

7. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

JBL L100
    JBL L200
    JBL L100
    DCM Tme Window
    JBL L100
    Rogers LS3/5a
    Galante Rhapsody

the future...
    Something fullsize with PHY or Tannoy drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.