Louis Armstrong 1920's recordings in audiophile quality*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riknbkr330, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A wonderful improvement. Once again indicating that the lowest-generation source has the best quality sound.

It would be a wonderful if these companies dug their archives to produce reissue series sourced from the 78 "mother records". It would be even better if these series were to be released without lots of NR and compression to ruin the great sound. We can only live in hope.

MrRom92, Sneaky Pete and rxcory like this.
  3. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Thanks for that! I have a Lonnie Johnson test pressing (modern manufacture from original parts) that's similarly spooky.

4. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Just heard about these via Open Culture and came on here to post..Amazing, just amazing. Why isn't this a bigger thread?!?!? If those two songs can sound that good thru YouTube, i mean geeze, where's the kickstarter for more of these to come out?!?!?

ruben lopez and qwerty like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

My favorite version of this classic Fats Waller ditty - sounds awesome!

crispi likes this.
  6. Rick McQuiston

Rick McQuiston Active Member

ricknbkr, where did you find that? I'd love to get a download of that. Amazing. Love the Satchmo.

riknbkr330 likes this.
  7. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Mind = Blown.

saturdayboy and applejam101 like this.
  8. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member Thread Starter

It was posted on Facebook

9. Rick McQuiston

Rick McQuiston Active Member

Thanks. I saw it there. But as a video. Was trying to get a clean uncompressed download link. Or news about whether a new album is coming out based on the metal disc. Couldn't find much. Do you know anything? Or anybody?

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

There is a bit more than necessary noise reduction on that transfer, but it still sounds much cleaner and fuller than the same recording on the famous JSP box set. Also, it is a bit slower here than on the JSP.

11. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I hear ya! The answer is there's little interest.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Very silly.

99.999% of old 78 RPM metal parts were scrapped decades ago. Bill Grady (who talked to me about this and was in charge of the process) told me that 1900-45 Columbias (including Okeh, Brunswick, etc.) sold their parts (stampers, mothers, masters) for SCRAP at 5 cents A TON in the 1960s. After all, who needed that old crap lying around?

Of course RCA-Victor didn't sell their stuff for 5 cents a ton, they just blew it all up in 1964.

That's show biz, folks.

13. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

This would make a helluva sweet RSD release.

How about a 10" 45 rpm on a nice thick slab of vinyl, paper sleeve, old label, the works...

SixtiesGuy, aza14782 and Shak Cohen like this.
  14. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Yeah, show biz, as wise and prudent as it's ever been right from the start, eh?!?!?

I remember hearing about those being destroyed before. But there's always some part of me, imagining there being some employee (there had to be at least one working there) working out some deal with a janitor or something to sneak a good chunk of them out. If only to be able to tell the kids/grandkids later on what daddy used to make. Just hanging my hopes on a rabid Armstrong outlier somewheres out there i guess...

...life is but a dream....

15. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very nice , but in terms of performance I think the 1950's recording is better.

Peace and love✌

16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I've had the JSP for 20+ years and will have to dig it out to compare. I remember there was a lot of back-and-forth whether the subsequent (1997?) Sony versions were an improvement over the JSP. I can't recall what their sources were; probably acetates and not this metal disc. Which begs the question: if the metal is indeed better, why was it not used? I'm guessing licensing or unavailability.

17. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I am pretty sure Sony still has many of the metal discs for Louis. The problem is they're probably in worse condition than this copy, sourced out early on to Germany for Odeon Records and probably not as overused as the US copy. Nevertheless, Sony did use better sources for much of the Louis material for their own set. The reason why the John R.T. Davies, sourced from 78s, still sounds better than Sony's is the restoration work and the mastering decisions. Sony used audible noise reduction and didn't make the right decisions restoration-wise. The JSP set still sounds more natural and for that reason people still prefer it.

Take this very example here, the topic of this thread. Sure, the source sounds great. But be sure that Nick Dellow did a lot of thoughtful restoration work and digital clean-up on it. So it all comes down not only to the sources you have, but to the processing you do.

(By the way, liceninsing is not an issue here. Sony owns this Louis material. The question is, are they willing to go the extra length to try to source metal parts not only from their own archives, but from those overseas as well? Which can be a pointless excercise, of course, but sometimes fruitful, as when the UK tape copy of "A Love Supreme" was found, which was highly superior to anything that still existed in the USA.)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    qwerty, pulpo and rxcory like this.
  18. crispi

Here is that glorious video, now properly embedded:

Louis Armstrong - Ain't Misbehavin' (1929) — sourced from Okeh/Odeon metal mother

19. crispi

There's a second one as well:

Louis Armstrong - Knee Drops (1928) — sourced form Okeh/Odeon metal mother

20. John76

John76 Forum Resident

bluemooze, IronWaffle and Robin L like this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Doubtless of interest to our host, these transfers of Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and another of a larger group were transferred from metal mothers sent to Odeon in Germany. Probably the cleanest sounding transfers of this music we'll ever hear:

Hot Five recording of "Knee Drops", Chicago, July 5 1928:

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Here's the Louis Armstrong Orchestra with "Ain't Misbehaving" from NYC, July 19, 1929:

Stone Turntable and ruben lopez like this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And here's the article in "Off Beat" about these recordings:

An astonishingly clear recording of Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra performing “Ain’t Misbehavin'” has surfaced on YouTube. According to the video’s description, the track comes from a metal “mother record” that New York City’s Okeh Records sent to Germany’s Odeon Records for their pressings.

Another similar recording of Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five performing “Knee Drops” in Chicago in 1928 was also posted a few days later. Evidently, both of these new versions were transferred to a digital format by sound engineer Nick Dellow.

Considering the poor quality of most early jazz records, these tracks are a rare treat for any fan of the pioneering New Orleans trumpet master.

Crystal Clear Louis Armstrong Recordings Surface »

MLutthans, ruben lopez and Shak Cohen like this.
  24. violarules

violarules Senior Member

That Hot Five recording sounds awesome.

Robin L likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

FYI, I believe EMI UK has ALL of the metal they were sent from the 1920s on, most of it they don't even own. But still, it's there (or was 20 years ago)

Magnus A., BlueGangsta, willy and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.