Louis Armstrong's Audio Rack (from NYT article)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Subagent, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica Thread Starter

Was just surfing the NYT and ran across an article about Armstrong's home-- now a house museum-- in Corona, Queens. I thought folks might get a kick out of this photo of his gear, as it was left following his death in 1971.

[​IMG]

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Wow, those are some serious classics! A Marantz Model 7 Preamp, a Marantz 10B tuner, a Tandberg model 6X recorder.

I can't help but wonder if an 8B amp might be hidden below as well... I don't recognize the TT or arm though. Is it some model of Garrard changer?

But whoever left both of the Tandberg's transports engaged was not very smart. This will doubtless have created some flat-spots on all of the rubber rollers.

Ilusndweller, Newscot and Rupe33 like this.
  3. Subagent

I wondered about the amp myself. 8B would be fitting, for sure. No idea on the TT. Someone here will likely ID it.

4. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I believe the TT is a Dual 1019.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It’s always great to see musicians that care(d) about how music sounds reproduced in their home. I’ve known many who listened to the worst imaginable systems at home and really wanted great sound at their gigs. I couldn’t reconcile the two.

Louis Armstrong is one of the most important musicians in Jazz history. I’m glad his home is a museum. I have to visit it one day.

6. TarnishedEars

I've known many musicians, and this is a surprisingly common phenomenon. They usually care deeply about the sound of their own instrument, while they are playing it. But when they listen to recordings, they often don't care about the overall sound of the recordings at all. They only seem to care whether they are able to hear their own part playing inside of the recording.

Tone?, Acapella48, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Yep...that exactly what it is.

grbluen likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I dont know that to be true of the musicians for the era of long ago like in Armstrong's day. I remember seeing Frank Sanatra's rig...it was audiophile quality.

Frank Sinatra's Classic Hi-Fi System

Frank even seems to be relaxing in a Eames Louge chair.

9. TarnishedEars

Yes there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. And there are even some audiophile musicians (especially on this forum). But I have much more commonly observed musicians listening to something with fidelity comparable to that of an AM radio than to that of a good stereo.

McLover, Slippers-on and JackG like this.
  10. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I visited the house in 2011 and remember the audio rack - particularly the hand made labels. I can't recall the amp.

I do remember on the opposite wall there is a painting of Louis which was painted by Tony Bennett - pretty good.

Worth visiting the house if you are a Louis fan - although at the time they were talking about building a museum across the street and closing the house to visitors.

11. Subagent

Now I'm curious. The linked article noted the relatively small number of annual visitors-- something like 18,000 I think. Did you get a sense that most of the other visitors were fans, or were there also random tourists?

McLover likes this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The four reels left to right on the two Tandbergs:
    1- a cheaper brand of tape&reel sold under many brand names and not Ampex or Scotch (correct me if wrong)
    2- 3- Scotch reels, 2 is earlier, 3 is later '60s
    4- the type of empty reel supplied with a good new deck, maybe the originally supplied reel from Tandberg
    Also note the four reel holders are different.
    Obviously he used these a lot, and could copy tapes.

What cartridge is that?

I'm glad to know, now, that Mr. Armstrong was an audiophile!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    longdist01 likes this.
  13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The Tandbergs are in Stop or "Free". I don't think there's a problem (other than age now).
    I think that's a model 65 or later variant on the left, playback only.

McLover likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There are a pair of AR4x speakers mounted in the ceiling, one above Satchmo’s desk and one above the seat opposite.

McLover likes this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I believe there is an early solid state Marantz power amp inside. It’s been about 10 years since I visited.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

If those machines are untouched, he certainly wasn't an audiophile listening at 1 and 7/8's!!

Bill Larson and JohnO like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I wonder to what extent this is because, if accustomed to the sound of live instruments, recorded playback at home does not come close on most systems. Maybe a lot of musicians don’t really know what is possible in hi-fi, and/or it’s not where their priorities lie (instruments and the gear that go with them can be very expensive).

Because, yeah, I know other musicians, and as far as I can tell, their playback systems are very modest compared with their instruments and rigs.

Of course, if you’re wealthy like Satchmo or Sinatra, you can afford both...

Fender Relic and Sneaky Pete like this.
  18. TarnishedEars

The Tandberg 6 and the Tandberg 6x both had a top speed of 7.5 ips. Almost nobody ever used the slowest speed for music. Why do you accuse him of listening at 1.875 ips ?

19. Rick Bartlett

Because it would have sounded like really bad Low-Fi AM radio.
    Usually used for spoken word, so maybe it wasn't music he was listening to....

20. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I thought most went out of their way to get there -it isn’t something you would stumble across. We saw an article in a magazine prior to our trip to NYC.

They only allowed small groups of up to 6 at a time on the tour.

clhboa and Subagent like this.
  21. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Stereophile recently had an article about Ron Carter.

Musicians as Audiophiles: Ron Carter

grbluen, BruceS and jeffsab like this.
  22. TarnishedEars

That didn't answer my question. Where do you see the evidence that he listened at 1.875 ips? Nobody listened to music at that speed, except on cassettes.

23. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Both decks are set to 1 7/8 with the speed switch between the two reels toward the top of each deck.
    It could be that with these models the springs and etc. are least stressed when set to 1 7/8, and some conservator knew this or was told this. Could be, just a guess. The decks are set to "Free", so the idler wheels are disengaged.

grbluen and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

JohnO and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

By that article, it would seem those Tanberg's would have little to no wear at all.
    Pristine perhaps.

Radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.