Lounge Audio Phono Pre Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

With no switched outlet nearby, I plan on leaving mine on. I can't see myself continually plugging and unplugging the wall wart all the time.

2. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I have mine plugged into a power strip along with the TT and a headphone amp. It's fairly easy to reach the power strip's switch so I've been cutting it off when not in use. I don't think it really matters either way according to what the website says(although they do suggest plugging into a PS and switching on and off). I have over 30 hours on mine now so I'm sure it's as broken in as it will ever be. It definitely sounds very nice for the money and is a nice step up from the Art preII I was using. One of the biggest differences is actually the bass. There is noticeably more pronounced bass with the lounge for sure. Of course the overall sound is better, but the bass is the biggest improvement in my setup.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  3. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Just leave it on, sounds better that way..

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

With all the hum talk, has anybody actually called this guy and discussed it with him ?

5. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

All the hum talk? Most of the talk has been about ABSCENCE of hum. And when someone has mentioned hum, it's been due to close proximity to magnetic fields such as a turntable motor or a transformer.

bluemooze, jriems, Opeth and 3 others like this.
  6. Usually if a call is made it is because I initiate it. Most hum is due to TT cabling. There are not that many cases. If you want to call me then message me and we can set up a time to chat over the phone or come to T.H.E. Show Newport 2016 and we can chat face to face.

7. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Wow! Awesome post. :thumbsup:

Do you ship to Canada? I think you may be getting some of my money one of these days. Whenever my better half okays another hi-fi purchase :help: lol

Actually maybe you could call her and explain to her why I need this :D

8. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

What, 2 out of 50 people have complained about hum? Maybe do some research next time you decide to disparage a quality seller. No offense intended, obviously.

9. Yes we ship to Canada. As for your better half.....:winkgrin::laugh::D

Trapper J likes this.
  10. Waynefi

Hold on. All I said was if you got a problem, contact the guy who built it. I suppose I could have said email, same difference. I am sure you stand behind your product and may have a actual factual suggestion based on all you have sold. While we are at it I have a brand new LCR sitting here delivered 2 days ago. I was going to buy the new WTL Phono pre which is much more expensive, and decided to try yours and buy some other items, who knows maybe it will be all I need.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  11. Waynefi

Whoa Mister Helper ! I don't know how many people had the problem, all I know is I saw several people discussing and suggesting. All I said was contact the guy who makes it to get actual factual info from the guy who builds it and knows what he has seen and heard. Then read what I wrote to Morinix just before this and see if I was disparaging him. No offense intended of course !

QuestionMark? likes this.
  12. Waynefi

Oh Yeah, no hum here either now that I have it up and running .

bluemooze and DigMyGroove like this.
  13. 6DeadWax5

6DeadWax5 Forum Resident

Break-in time is huge with this phono stage. When I first got it, I wasn't sure that it bettered my Cambridge Audio. It took about a full week for it to start to sound better. Soundstage opened up like crazy. Now there is no comparison to the CA, the MKIII is in a different league. The only reason I'd need another phono stage is if I want to go with a MC cart.

bluemooze and ThorensSme like this.
  14. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

The Lounge MKIII handles high output MC carts very well. I have a Denon DL 110 running right now and it sounds fantastic. The only time you'll need a SUT with the MKIII is if you want to use a low-output MC cart.

15. Wild Zero

Wild Zero Well-Known Member

I think Lounge makes a reasonably priced SUT for the MKIII.

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I used the Lounge alone with two different HOMC carts, a Goldring Eroica H and a Denon DL-110 which I used for close to year when the Goldring was out of commission With my Pioneer SX-850 the output was fine. However when I switched to another vintage amp, the Luxman L-85v I found I was having to turn up the volume to 3:00 or 4:00 on the dial, thus significantly raising my noise floor. It was odd since the Luxman actually has 20 watts more power but it was what it was. When I discovered Robert had introduced the Copla I thought that it might be just the solution for my situation. It is indeed and I'm very happy I bought it. The front dial easily lets me zero in on both the best output and sonics for a particular record. I also bought the Copla as I will in future try a LOMC and now I'm well prepared for it.

6DeadWax5 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  17. 6DeadWax5

6DeadWax5 Forum Resident

Yeah, I just misspoke. I wouldn't need another phono pre-amp. The SUT is what I had in mind if I was going to use a LOMC cart.

Dr. Metal MD and Wild Zero like this.
  18. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

If it is the Copla to which you refer, it is an active amplifier, not a passive transformer. It is not a SUT, or Step Up Transformer.

Lounge Audio »

I haven't the Copla, so I can't verify its performance.

jupiterboy likes this.
  19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have it, I like it!

20. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

Threads like this always end up costing me :agree:... Placed my order for a LCR MKIII yesterday. Looking forward to comparing it with the phono pre-amp on my Marantz PM8005.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  21. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

The LCR MKIII was delivered today and promptly put into service. First impression compared to the Marantz PM8005 phono pre, deeper soundstage, 3d imaging (King Crimson's LTIA had me looking over my shoulder), more pronounced yet accurate bass (Wetton was thumping me in the chest), high's less grain, more focused. Have not made my mind up about the mids just yet, too early. This being a quick first listen my general overall impression is highly positive. I look forward to spending more time with the Lounge.

bluemooze, arem and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  22. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I just received my Lounge LCR MKIII today, and while the guy in the video's review is a bit exaggerated, I have to agree with his general sentiments that it sounds closed in, lacking air, and "lo-fi" for lack of a better term.

As of right at this moment, I would easily take my Hagerman Bugle2, Parks Audio Budgie or Phonomena II over the Lounge MKIII (yeah I buy way too many phono pre's). But, it has only been plugged in for a total of about 4 hrs since I received it, so certainly things will improve as burn-in proceeds. I used to be skeptical of burn-in, but my experience with my Schiit BiFrost burn-in was so dramatic that I give every new piece of equipment a minimum of 50 hours of use before I even consider making a judgement. If I had judged the Bifrost by it's performance on the first day of use, and returned it, I would have missed out on one of the best audio buys I've ever made.

So, we shall see. In a couple days, I'll compare the burned-in Lounge to my other phono stages again, and sincerely hope it will crush them all.

I will say though, there is a quality and general tenderness to the sound that is very appealing to my ears, even right out of the box. It's just that the detail and transients are muffled and washed out, as if I'm hearing it playing from the next room over.

23. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

The Lounge is burning in quite nicely. It's been plugged in, but I haven't used it since Thursday. I just decided to hook it up. I was impressed from the first note, the music has clearly moved from the next room and into my listening space. All frequencies are smooth and accurately presented. Not bright, not dull. Transparent would be a good description. I'm cranking my music at a level which would normally be annoying, but it just sounds really GOOD.

Well done Morinix, great piece of gear for a more than fair price.

24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

lol that goofy review was junk. "Strangling the vocalist's neck"?? I see they disabled the comments.

the lounge is a very good phono stage for a few hundred $. I highly doubt it is worse than the schiit mani. Is it a $5K phono pre? No, if you want that go spend $5K.

Dr. Metal MD and Vinyl Addict like this.
  25. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident

My old phono preamp bit the dust this week. I ordered a lounge audio MK3 on Sunday. Should be here in a few days. Looking forward to giving it a try. Does there have to be a LP playing for break in or is just plugin it in. Good enough to get it broke in?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.