Lounge Audio Phono Pre Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The image I posted may be out of date. Let me investigate. :)

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

This pic from 6 Moons shows some blue round things that appear to be translucent in the other pic.

[​IMG]

3. dachada

dachada Senior Member

those blue things are polystyrene capacitors. looking at pictures the printed circuit board needs some revision

bluemooze likes this.
  4. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

There are no trim pots visible on the board of my MKIII. The Lounge Audio Copla MC Step-Up does however have 2 pots on-board according to this pic...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

The trim pots look like the ones in this pic. I think the Lounge has likely gone through some minor revisions that probably didn't justify a new model designation.

Bluemooze,

Was that a pic of your LCR or did you find that online?

6. The picture from 6 Moons was from quite a while ago. That was a bad time because my supplier ran out of the part I was using for the large value inductor. I had to scramble to find two parts that could make the value I needed. That is why you see the red part that looks like a side car. Also this revision has no trimpots.

I added a trimpot to allow me to dial in a forth pole in the circuit.

Here is a picture of the newest revision,
    [​IMG]

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I got it from the internet, but now we have the latest photo from morinix. Thanks for alerting us to the trimpots in the first place. :edthumbs:

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thank you! :righton:

Can you identify which of those trimpots can be used to bring up the treble as Helom referenced in post #168?

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

There's one pot for each channel, so you need to adjust both.

bluemooze and morinix like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

No trimpots in my Mk III. :cry:

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Bummer. Are you unsatisfied with the treble balance?

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now that's an interesting question. I'd like to get a teeny tiny amount more treble. Did you raise or lower the treble when you made your adjustment?

The bass and midrange on my MK III are awesome. The MK III crushes the Schiit Mani and U-Turn Pluto. It has more midrange goodness than the Graham Slee ERA Gold Reflex, which costs over a thousand dollars. It's beautiful to listen to, with zero harshness and no listener fatigue. (I'm repeating myself here; I already posted most of this in another thread somewhere) :)

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was told the trim pots only increase the treble gain by roughly 1db, so I adjusted them to the max setting. I believe he ships them close to the lowest setting. Some report that it opens up over time, but I guess I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for that to occur. I may have to trim it back down in the future.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Helom

Helom Forum member

The LCR's bass and midrange are better than my Z-phono, but I think my system needed some of the Z-phono's bite, which the trim pots enabled.

I'm also using a Jico SAS stylus, which is very sensitive to SRA. I could've likely gotten all the treble I desired by simply adjusting tonearm height.

morinix and bluemooze like this.
  15. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I just ordered a Lounge LCR to replace the Cambridge audio 540p in my office system. I can't wait to try it out! Anyone using it with a 2m bronze?

morinix likes this.
  16. irender

irender Forum Resident

I am using a Ortofon Super OM30. It is nice. You should be well pleased.

morinix and dbsea like this.
  17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

2M Black here. Sounds fabulous.

mike catucci, morinix and dbsea like this.
  18. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

2M Bronze here. Love it!

loudwizard, morinix and dbsea like this.
  19. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I am. It sounds excellent. I've had it 4 days, so I think it's broken in as it has been on the whole time. It was a little analytic sounding at first in the high range but the midrange has been glorious the whole time. Big fan, you will like it.

morinix and dbsea like this.
  20. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Hi guys, I'm very intrigued by the Lounge LCR MkIII. I'm currently using a Musical Fidelity VLPSII. Would this be a huge step forward? Thanks in advance!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

I imagine it would be a substantial upgrade, depending somewhat on the rest of the chain.

c-eling likes this.
  22. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

My Lounge LCR MKIII just arrived today. Even having only played a couple of sides so far, it sounds much, much better than the Cambridge Audio 540P it replaced.

I'm quite grateful to this forum for helping me find this awesome piece of equipment.

23. Bananas&blow

Leave it on. Let us know how you like it on Wednesday. I found mine was eye opening out of the box, but really made my records come alive after two days of being left on. Great excuse to listen to every single one of your records again.

Best get to it.

mike catucci, irender and dbsea like this.
  24. Bananas&blow

The professional and forum reviews would indicate it would be a substantial upgrade for a relatively modest investment.

irender likes this.
  25. mp29k

mp29k Forum Resident

Add me to the list of highly satisfied customers. morinix is amazing to work with, and this piece of gear has no right to sound this good with such a modest price. Run, don't walk.

My system is modest (AT 95VL (LP Gear) --> At LP-120 with pre-amp delete --> Lounge LCR MkIII --> NAD d'3020 --> Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and HSU Research STF-2 Sub), and it sounds like a much more expensive setup. The Lounge made all the difference. I had been using an ART DJ Pre-II with upgraded 12v Linear PS, and this absolutely blows it away.

bluemooze, dbsea and irender like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.