Lounge Copla impressions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterclean, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that it's still a very new product, but has anybody had a chance to audition one of these?

2. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'd love to know as well. I've had the Lounge Phono Stage since last Winter and like it very much with my Music Hall MMF-7 and high ouput MC Goldring Eroica cartridge. My "new" vintage Luxman L-85v isn't giving me the level volume from the turntable/Loumge the way my Pioneer SX-850 did, so I was wondering the addition of the Copla would make a big difference (on the sonics as well as the volume boost I'd think would happen).

3. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident Thread Starter

Somehow, I suspect that a Lounge preamp + Copla + DL103 combo would be very tough to beat for less than a couple of grand. Still, it would be nice to see some reviews.

4. I sent out units to reviewers earlier this summer. Still waiting. Something must be getting posted on some forum some place because there have been orders lately and I'm getting emailed questions. As for me; it's a gas to adjust the loading impedance on the fly, silently and continuous! It's like a tone knob, but much more subtle. As the loading gets lower the preamp works harder. For me, now I can actually listen to normal digitally sourced LP's and not feel like I'm missing something.

BTW I used the DL103r to design the Copla.

Vintage Luxman, trd, matthewp and 2 others like this.
  5. william rains

william rains New Member

Always searching for vinyl Nirvana my finger is always on the pulse of analog perfection. You can and will go crazy with all the options offered out there. What to do, if your like me your wallet eventually decides... but even then choices? Rarely while in your search for that extra little something you find a promising piece for that analog puzzle. Do to my obsession for that said Nirvana I came across Lounge Audio...I didn't need a preamp which Lounge was offering..... since I just bought what I think is a decent stage ( musical surroundings phonomena 2 ).
    I watched the videos on YouTube and I liked what I heard and saw. So I decided to shoot Robert a email and asked him if his amp would perform better in my system. I told him in addition to the phenomenon 2 I had a vintage SUT with RCA tranny's running my Denon dl 103r in a Paradox aluminum body, Awesome! He said that the tranny's I have although great were made with microphones first in mind . I had to agree with him since I always felt that they were always missing something? He told me that he was coming out with a headamp that would work with LOMC cartridges. Of course my response was tell me more. He explained that his unit (Copla) works on liquid emitting diodes..? I hope I get this right....the lights power the tranny's through photo diodes. Result is clean focused power. I said okay when can I get one? Robert in his gracious manner said they won't be out for a few more weeks but, the one you see in the video you can have. So needless to say I have the first Copla sent out by Lounge Audio.
    Now for the review of this unique little device. First thing I did was obviously disconnect my SUT in turn connected the Copla. Instantly the difference was there not just the volume increased but that extra clarity was pronounced. The knob on front of the unit will give more or less of the punch required for the track your listening to. What I mean is if your listening to easy rock one minute and then the next you want something that requires a little more kick...turn the knob. The build quality of course is what you would expect and the look of the blue LED's...beautifully matches my system to a tee.

Robert states that he made this unit with the Denon 103 in mind, but very recently I purchased a Soundsmith zephyr mimc. I found another piece of that elusive puzzle. Sounds amazing!
    So from a Denon to a Soundsmith no problem. This thing I feel holds its own.
    If you own a LOMC and pay attention to detail your setup needs this headamp, and for less then the cost of a new Denon 103r your Copla will get you one step closer to your Nirvana.

mike catucci and Fritz Fernow like this.
  6. Jay_S

Jay_S Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this review. You reported greater volume and clarity from the Copla. Was the gain significantly different? Do you have any other thoughts about how the SUT compares?

7. DigMyGroove

I just received the COPLA yesterday and am very pleased with it. Although I have a high output MC cart, it just wasn't putting out enough for the KEF LS50 speakers I bought a few months ago, despite using the Lounge MKIII phono stage running into an 85 wpc Luxman integrated amp. For the majority of records I was having to dial up to 1:00-3:00 and beyond, substantially raising my noise floor. The COPLA handily solves that problem, and it's smooth dial let's me quickly play with finding the right setting for a particular LP. I'm looking forward to connecting the COPLA straight into my Luxman L85v's MM phono input and hearing the differences. The amp has a linear equalizer exclusively for use with phono input, I'm looking forward to finally hearing what it does to the sonics. Once I've listen some more and played with the alternate connection I'll post an update.

Hats off to Robert Morin, the COPLA is a welcome addition to my set up, and of course a perfect companion to his excellent Lounge LCR MKIII phono stage.

8. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

Just ordered one of these.

I plan on getting a Denon DL103 in the near future but I'm hoping the Copla will still be useful for my MM cartridges.

I mostly use an AT150MLX and MP-110 with my Technics 1210.

9. DigMyGroove

For a MM cartridge you shouldn't need the Copla, but I've now used it with a HOMC (Goldring Eroica H) and LOMC (Denon DL 301 MK III) and it works quite nicely for both. I also know that Robert Morin the designer of both said he got excellent results using the combo with a Denon DL-110.

10. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

Yes I understand its not intended for MM.

I just wonder if it will be usable with the MM I currently own.

The intent is to use it with a DL103 once I get one from LP gear...

11. I tried a MM cart (Shure M91ed) through Copa. It sounded super muffed. It won't hurt the MM cart or Copla to try it out. Just be ready for no highs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

I might still give it a shot if it doesn't hurt anything.

I'm still looking for a good entry level MC cart for my Technics.

The DL103 seems to be good for its price but it also is reported to need additional weight to work with the technics arms.

13. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

My Copla arrived today and after a quick test, it does not work my MM carts.

I plan to pickup a DL103 in the next few weeks so for now my Copla will go back to its box.

It's a well built piece of gear and the lights are actually brighter than expected. I might look for ways to reduce the light emission from the box so the unit is less distracting when listening in a darkened room.

I would also say that it would have been nice if the unit included a bypass switch to allow the use of MM and MC carts without the hassle of unplugging the Copla. One of the reasons I really enjoy my Technics is the ability to quickly swap the head shells. It would be great to leave the Copla connected and just flip a switch if I wanted to move from MC to MM.

Just some initial thoughts...

14. That's a great idea! Most effects gear (like guitar pedals) that musicians use have bypass switches. I did not consider doing that because none of the similar units (SUT's or MC head amps) have such a feature. It was already enough of a stretch to combine continuous gain and loading in one knob.

arem likes this.
  15. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

You'd be ahead of the game then!

I'm sure there are plenty of folks like me that have both styles of carts in their collection which would benefit from the ability to bypass the SUT. Please keep us informed if this is something you would implement in a new version.

16. tdogzthmn

tdogzthmn Active Member

Finally got my DL103 in the mail and was able to play two records on it.

The cart is heavy enough that the I needed to install the additional weight on the back of my tonearm, but it was pretty easy to get it set up on the technics. The Copla is feeding into the phono input on the back of my Rouge Sphinx and the gain was set at the recommended 100 ohms to start with.

Threw on a Led Zeppelin album and I was off! I wasn't able to devote a lot of attention to critical listening but the sound was powerful and clear. I'll have to give it some more playing time to get it all dialed in but I'm glad it all sounds great from the start!

Gumboo likes this.
  17. Chazzyman

Chazzyman Active Member

Will the copla mate well with Hana el cartridge 0.5mv with 400 ohm load

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Just flip the selector switch on your amp. :)

19. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

So far, for me, yes, in fact the Copla into the MM input beat a well regarded Tubed MC Phono Preamp, which had multiple loading options from 1K - 30 ohms.

Fritz Fernow, morinix and bluemooze like this.
  20. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Does the Copla work with high-output MC carts? I have a DL 101. I eventually want to get a 103, but I still have like 600 hours left on my 101, and I love the 101.

21. DigMyGroove

Yes it does with with HOMC. I first used it with a Denon DL-110 HOMC and it sounded very good, I currently use it with a Denon 301 MK II LOMC.

22. Dr. Metal MD

I think I remember talking with you about this. Are you really happy with the Denon 301 MK II? Is it a significant upgrade over the 110?

23. DigMyGroove

Happier indeed, the 301 MK III is in a much higher league than the DL-110. The 301 MK III comes close to the sound of the Goldring Eroica H MC I've also used, and the Goldring is over twice the cost. I was very impressed at the value the Denon offered in teh 301 MK III. My only issue with the 301 MK III is it's a bit too bass strong, and not as refined in that area as the Goldring Eroica H. It took some time and EQ adjusting until I learned how my tone controls and sub needed to be adjusted for it.

While I enjoyed the DL-110, it has a very strong sound signature, IMO not in any way neutral. I began using it while My Eroica H was out of commission and it took a while to get used to the sound (and a while to break in which helped greatly). All in all I liked it, and it is a good way to get into moving coil on a budget. When I bought mine is was under $150, now of course the price has jumped, but it's still quite affordable.

24. Dr. Metal MD

That's reassuring. the Copla and the 301 MK III are the next 2 items on my upgrade list. Cheers!

25. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I found this interesting observation.

Jerry Raskin Comments on Denon DL-110:
    The owners manual claims in both English and Japanese 1.6mV of output, but when I tested the cartridge it produced 2.2mV.

I have a Soundsmith Otello mounted on my VPI Scout II going to my Lounge LCR MK-III and then to a Rogue Sphinx V2.
    The Soundsmith Otello has an output of 2.12mV. I wonder if the addition of a Copla would be beneficial to the overall sound of my system?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.