Lounge LCR MKIII vs Parks Audio Budgie Tube preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

I know this had a thread back in late 2015/early 2016, and I've just finished reading all that for a second time. I'm looking at both of these very closely. There was only one recommendation for the Budgie in that thread, so now that we're 3 years later, I'm wondering if the overwhelming support for the Lounge is still there, when compared to the Budgie. Only at $99 difference between the two, so I am torn like a cheap pair of canvas sneakers.

Oh btw I'm currently running an Ortofon 2M Blue on a U-Turn 'table through the Marantz PM8005 phono stage.

I wonder if I should have made this a poll with those two preamps the only choices.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

CBackley and H8SLKC like this.
  2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Vote #1 for Parks Budgie. Super quiet and wonderful sound in my experience. :righton:

PBo, H8SLKC and Seafinch like this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've had both. The Budgie is just as quiet but is more musically involving. Plus with tube rolling, you can tailor the sound how you see bit. The Lounge isn't a bad phono stage, the Budgie is just one of the best phono stages you can buy under $1500. Thankfully, it doesn't cost anywhere near that.

Seafinch, PBo, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The Budgie is $100 more than the Lounge.

Also, check first how weak or strong the output of your cart is or you might need to spring for the Hybrid Budgie at 45db but also at $600. The regular version is 38db. Another advantage of the Hybrid model is a higher SNR.

SandAndGlass and Madness like this.
  5. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

Haven’t heard the lounge but I love my budgie! Especially with the gold lion 6922 tubes. I ran it for awhile with a 2m blue as well but am now using a bronze

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Never heard the Budgie but the Lounge was my phono amp for the last 3 + years. It offers performance much higher than its price would indicate. I used mine with an Ort Blue and the sound was dynamic, tight and detailed. It never left me wanting for anything. I heard a few stages above its price point (500.00 area) and the lounge was better in every way. For 300.00 I cannot imagine a better choice.

GKH, CBackley, SandAndGlass and 3 others like this.
  7. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Another vote for the Budgie.....and it has lots of settings for MM cartridges.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. bfoot

bfoot Member

I just upgraded from a Schiit Mani to a Budgie recently. I am very happy with the Budgie even with the stock tubes.

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I too was in your predicament trying to decide between the two. I read every review I could find and both had positive reviews and fervent followers. Can’t go wrong with either. I eventually bought the LCR Mark III, just got it late last week. Why did I choose the Mark III? It eventually came down to my equipment which is all SS and have not regretted my decision.

Also I emailed Lounge Audio before purchase (they responded right away) and asked if the Mark III would pair nicely with with my Sumiko Blue Point 2 and they said yes. They’ve had other customers using the same cart and remarked how well the two paired together. Good customer service.

How’s the Mark III so far? I can’t say enough good things about it. Believe every positive review you see out there. I’m usually skeptical about other folk’s reviews but the Mark III truly blew away all my expectations and then some.

GKH, CBackley, Jvalvano and 7 others like this.
  10. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

I am currently running a Budgie to a VPI Traveler with a 2M Blue. Bought it last summer. Right away I noticed a mid to upper range clarity that wasn't there with my similarly priced Project. I keep hearing this one knock from others, worried about the Bass range. My answer is simple. At the price point (399.00) you are not going to get a better Phono Pre-amp. Most of us are on a budget of some sort. I don't know of any Phono at this price point that is perfect. Go to Amazon and see if they have them currently( they run out from time to time). Check the customer feedback. All 56 feedbacks are 5 Star ratings. People have emailed the Seller/Builder/designer of Lil' Jewels and have received a response within hrs on a Saturday. That is true customer service. Good Luck and enjoy the music.

CBackley, H8SLKC and Madness like this.
  11. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Took delivery of my Hybrid Budgie last week, hand built by Shannon and it sounds amazing.

PBo, 33na3rd, SandAndGlass and 5 others like this.
  12. Madness

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far. I've reached out to both Lounge and Parks.

H8SLKC likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

You're asking both of them the same question? I wonder what they will say .... :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  14. Madness

Just doing my research; more info is better than less lol :wiggle:

honestabe316 and H8SLKC like this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

BTW, old news now, but there was a Parks Budgie on USAM a coupla days ago for $250, looks like it sold pretty fast, as you'd expect based on the good rep you see here... Parks Audio Budgie Tube Phono Stage

H8SLKC and Madness like this.
  16. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I just got my hybrid, I will probably be selling my Budgie soon

H8SLKC likes this.
  17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have to say that that seems like the EXACT reason to add tubes into the mix.

SandAndGlass, H8SLKC and mike catucci like this.
  18. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Would a Budgie really make that much of a difference even tho all my equipment is SS? I was under the impression that I should have at least a tube amp or tube preamp or a tube integrated to fully enjoy the tube experience. I’ve been wrong before and this is a learning experience for me. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Love my Budgie :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

How much better is it and how is it better? I just figured the higher SNR might be worth it for that alone.

21. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

I have and enjoy both of these phono pre amps. To me, they have slightly different signatures. The Lounge seems more "centered" in the bass and lower mids regions. The Budgie more so in the upper mids and treble. The Lounge sounds more "laid back" to me. The Budgie sounds more "forward" and open. (Your mileage may differ).

I tend to use the Lounge with my brighter cartridges like the Denon DL-110. The most surprising thing to me about the Budgie is the way it opened up my Grado Prestige cartridges. They still retain the wonderful Grado mids but with the Budgie, have lost much, if not all, of their "darkness" (set at Mr. Park's recommended Exacta loading of 18.7K).

I've found that the stock EH tubes of the Budgie can be bettered. It's been fun rolling tubes. Recently, I've been using some NOS vintage 6922 Dumonts that I found over at AudioKarma. A very nice sounding tube, especially for their cost.

I don't think one can go wrong with either of these phono pre amps. I'd have a hard time deciding between the two if I could only keep one. I guess I'd lean toward the Budgie, as it does seem like the tubes do add something beneficial to the soundstage.

22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

2M Blue's output is 5.5 mV. 38 db gain would be enough for it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

It was more of a general comment.

Benzion likes this.
  24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I was in same shoes quite recently, trying to decide between Budgie and Lounge. Went with Lounge. Because it is going to play in my bedroom system, with a PrimaLuna tube power amp, so I will have enough tube sound that way. In my living room, where the integrated is SS, both my phono's are tubed so I get tube sound in vinyl, at least.

From my personal experience, and, of course, everyone's mileage may differ, too many tubed components in one system are a bit noisy, so I use SS phono's and preamp's into tube power amps, or the other way around, tube phono's into SS amps.

GKH, H8SLKC, DanBNash and 1 other person like this.
  25. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I find this really interesting. I always thought the Lounge was pretty open and detailed in the mid to upper range and if it lacked anything it was in the bass department. I suppose the rest of the system will offer some influence on that. I'm using a CM2 which is a pretty solid state sounding tube integrated. So maybe that balanced out the sound somewhat. When I added the Ort Blue things definitely opened up at the top.

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.