LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I can personally attest to converting ten people (including two girlfriends who had little time for non-chart music), all born 1975-1980 to worshippers of Forever Changes after playing it to them, all since the year 2000.

It really is one of those records that people tell each other about and play for friends. Even today.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Maybe this anniversary is the impetus I need to get the album cover tattooed on me as I've often daydreamed about?

ToneLa, lemonade kid and Davido like this.
  3. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Walked into Tower Records in New Orleans in 1992 and heard Forever Changes playing. A little too young to pick up on it when it came out, but when I heard it that day, I was blown away. Bought FC that day and Da Capo a little later and remastered/remixed versions, including our host’s. Another reason I miss B&M stores.

auralden likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

ToneLa likes this.
  5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

When Arthur came to Liverpool in the '90's he was backed by a Liverpool band, Shack. Arthur formed a great friendship with Shack's Michael Head. Michael is himself a very talented musician, his music is no doubt influenced by that of Love but is beautiful and indeed deserves investigation by all fans of Arthur Lee & Love.

'Forever Changes' is IMHO the greatest album ever recorded. I think I've said that before around here.

Guy E, phillyal1, Williamson and 10 others like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of the albums I can listen to indefinitely...

7. lemonade kid

No word as to why the Nov 4th show was canceled and no word on if it will be rescheduled! Darn!

8. lemonade kid

Good to hear, richierichie! I agree wholeheartedly. We are in good company, with the former mayor of London and Parliament agreeing! Nice pic you've chosen for your ID, too!

9. lemonade kid

Because it forever changes....sorry--couldn't resist.

:doh:

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

where's the quad mix?

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm gonna check this out later today...
    Shacknet

I would have to say that, out of the 4-5000 albums in my collection, Forever Changes gets my pick for "favorite album."

richierichie likes this.
  12. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Not just Liverpool; the announcement of Arthur's comeback shows after his release from prison was big news in Glasgow. The enthusiasm of those in my group of friends who listened to Love prior to this encouraged a load more to check them out too. I remember reminiscing about those shows the day he died with a friend whose record collection at that point consisted entirely of techno.

Then there's stuff like the mention in the UK parliament(BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Freed 1960s star meets MPs ), and the story that John Leckie got the job producing The Stone Roses in part because he agreed Forever Changes was the best record ever made, which suggest it may be UK-wide.

The Beefheart thing I think might be Liverpool alone! Sadly.

richierichie and ToneLa like this.
  13. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

Have you never heard of Half Man Half Biscuit? Four lads who shook the Wirral!

14. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Liverpool had no musicians of note?! Cilla Black is rolling in her grave, chuck!

tages likes this.
  15. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Aye, they shook the Wirral, but no-one in Liverpool was gonna be caught listening to woolybacks.

ToneLa likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

A newly remastered anniversary reissue of Forever Changes in the works?!

[​IMG]

This from good friend RW.

In the latest issue of Shindig magazine (December, #74, Doors cover) writer Kris Needs interviews Bruce Botnick (Ojai resident, more than likely burned out of his home by now).

Good piece, revealing, informative interview, BUT (most importantly) that Botnick's "Next project is remastering LoVE's "Forever Changes", which he produced, for its own anniversary reissue." End quote.

I haven't heard of this, anywhere, and what about the long lost missing masters?

Wonder if Steve Hoffman is aware of this, or can shed any light on it? I would think that purely due to his own history with the album, he might at least have some inkling as to what's actually in the works here, and from what source the work is being done. This should at least be interesting to watch develop.....Rick W

Any news that you can confirm, Steve??

Detroit Music Fan and auralden like this.
  17. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

One of my all-time favorites but I hope if they re-re-re-release it yet again they do something extraordinary. Maybe 5.1 or something beyond a remaster to make buying it again worth it.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

Me too. I thought the Mobile Fidelity 45rpm 2 disc set was the last word in audio for this...I can't imagine what could be better. The lost masters??

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I'll sure buy it again, if only to complain how nobody can make those guitars more prominent. It's my religion to complain about this album! Gods and politicians let me down but this album never will.

richierichie and lemonade kid like this.
  20. lemonade kid

LOVE LOVE LOVE this album and that will never CHANGE!

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bruce is safe, his house and studio are safe. Very lucky.

22. lemonade kid

Good to know. Thanks, Steve.

If you get news of the Forever Changes remastering that Bruce spoke of in the interview, please let us know. Anything at all, please.

23. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm hoping they can do something cool with it, but from what I understand, the multi-tracks were MIA.
    Back in 2000 or so, I was keeping in touch with a Rhino VP about the progress of the first deluxe version that eventually was released in 2001. Early on, she let me know that they were going through the vaults to find the multi-tracks and eventually let me know that they couldn't find them. Somebody had checked them out around '71 and they were never returned from what I was told. I really hope they found them!

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why? You have the original mix, you have a very different sounding 1970's rough mix, both released, easy to find, what do you think a "modern" mix would do to the music? Improve it? Some brickwalling compression? Some over-the-top EQ? Hey, maybe they can add some digital reverb to everything and gate the drums. Make a tribute 1980s version.

I'm just saying, find a good version of the original stereo mix and dig it. There are no outtakes other than what has been released..

25. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I was kind of hoping that they could auto-tune all the vocals and maybe get Kendrick to rap over the end of
    'You Set The Scene'. Y'know, kinda modernize it.
    :--P