LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Just got mine... beautiful! Already listening and reading...

In regards to the mono, interesting that the booklet says, "This mono version of Forever Changes does not precisely echo the original stereo mix of the album, perhaps suggesting that another master stereo mix was utilized to create this mono mix during the CSG conversion process."

2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The problem is that they don't point out where it doesn't echo the original stereo mix and no one has found any spots where it doesn't. Sounds to me like they are trying to avoid admitting it's simply the standard stereo mix processed down to one channel, one way or another.

3. YardByrd

They do write that in the booklet... from said booklet, which is discussing the mono, "This particular mix was originally created by use of the Haeco-CSG system (the Holzer Audio Engineering Company's Compatable Stereo Generator system, named after its inventor Howard Holzer and employed within the recording industry during the late 1960s). This technology facilitated the conversion of a two-channel stereo mix to a single mono channel." They end the paragraph with the quote I excerpted above.

Just ripped the mono to iTunes and loaded it onto my iPhone for my daily walk... I have the 1987 version on there already... the mono doesn't have the goofy panning obviously, but I wasn't thrilled with the EQ... highs a bit too aggressive for me, esp. in comparison to the '87 CD I already have ripped to my phone...

rnranimal likes this.
  4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is this the same thing that famously rendered the LP pressing of The Association's Greatest Hits just about unlistenable?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    YardByrd likes this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They do mention it's a stereo mix collapsed to mono but then add in that part suggesting it could be used from something other than the standard stereo mix, but there's nothing to suggest that. It sounds like they threw that in there to make it sound like it might not be pointless. The trend of padding releases with mono folds to charge more bugs me, but apparently some do like them. I just don't understand the appeal.

I haven't listened to it, but that's a shame about the bright EQ. I doubt I'll bother.

DTK, hallucalation, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Had mine since first day. Not opened it yet. Keeping it for collecting purposes. I have loads of other versions to listen too. Itching to know what the serial number is though.
    Who's got the lowest on the forum?

7. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Bright EQ? On a ‘mono’ recording from the 1960s? Ugh.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  8. YardByrd

They do write that in the booklet, "
    I was A/B'ing the EQ with both the '87 Forever Changes and the Doors Strange Days mono from 2017 that is also on my iPhone... nowhere near as pleasant as the Doors brights...

The Ole' Rocker and rnranimal like this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

My box is on the way but it has not yet arrived.

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I find it interesting that there is such a difference for "A House Is Not a Motel". Will have to look at the waveforms to see why. The bassier sound of the MFSL could certainly explain the small differences in other tracks, but this track is 9 vs 12.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't have the 2018, but the waveforms for the 2015 and MFSL are quite different. The MFSL seems to save the dynamic climax for the end. Does this suggest different tape sources?

Here's the 2015 (normalized):

[​IMG]

And here's the MFSL (normalized):

[​IMG]

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's very interesting. I'm thinking maybe the different EQ - less treble/more bass on MFSL could account for that. But the MFSL also looks like it fades much later, so maybe it is a different tape. I hope I can find time to do some further comparisons of this track from other sources.

George P likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Ha! How can you not open it?! Time to discover the serial number! I saw some here in the #00300-#00400 count I think. The packing inside is what makes it special and sets it apart from all the rest. I view it often...very cool.

To my ears, the vinyl sounds better than the CD. That is only because my new turntable setup out-performs my car stereo. Because it is not brickwalled, thank god, turning the volume up is necessary. The vinyl is bright, crisp, and dynamic sounding at home.

The previous remastered CD (2008 Collector's Edition) seems to be a little better in the car anyway. Haven't set up my home system with a CD player yet, but I am guessing it will sound much better.

The Botnick remastered job is the best in my collection (I don't have the 2-disk 45 RMP release).

Has anyone done a serious comparison between the 50th Anniversary vinyl vs. the 45 RPM 2-disc vinyl (reputedly the best till now)?

And how does the 2018 CD compare to previous releases...I have several. But again, just a modest 6 speaker car stereo system (though my 2016 Mazda3 has a pretty decent system, it is still, very modest I am sure--especially because it only has USB/thumb drive player capability, which is another generation in very reduced audio quality when transferred from CD to flash drive).

14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Mine arrived yesterday from amazon.uk I cringe every time I get a box from the UK, the box was so beat up, I thought for sure the box set was trashed.
    Even though they only put some brown paper inside the shipping box, my Love box set had no damage. I feel like I dodged another bullet.
    The box set is very nice, the number on mine is 05597 / 15000 gonna spin the vinyl first then check out the CD's later on. :righton:

lemonade kid likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

Good deal yours wasn't beat up. Mine, bought directly from a pre-order at the downtown Bull Moose store is in PERFECT condition.

You will love the vinyl sound I am sure. Quite surprisingly improved, especially since Botnick had the same stuff to work with and not the sadly lost master tapes.

John D. likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I didn't buy the box because the only thing I really was interested in was the mono mix, and if that were pressed on vinyl instead of CD, I'd probably have bought it. Knowing now that it's just a fold, I am even more glad I held off on it. (I already have several stereo versions including the 2CD and MOFI 2x45, so the rest doesn't entice me.)

I'd enjoy looking through the book if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't need to own it.

YardByrd likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

After owning it...I need I need without a doubt.

YardByrd likes this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I totally get that! :righton:

19. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

20. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Just ordered! Been having a "Love" Affair with this album lately... as someone else mentioned a couple pages back it's taken me years to have it finally smack me in the face but now that it has, I can't stop playing it on repeat

21. lemonade kid

Smacked me in the face rolling down Rt. 124 for about the thousandth time--the newly remastered CD is awesome!

nfmboss666 and ThomasL like this.
  22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Question:

I had heard the stories about how "Alone Again Or" had a different main tune, buried underneath Arthur Lee's harmony vocal which became the defacto lead line.

On Saturday, I found the Bryan MacLean CD "ifyoubelievein" which has a selection of his original demos as recorded in his shed/garage/whatever. There are two versions of "Alone Again Or", but the tune is virtually the same as the released version.

So, unless these demos were recorded post "Forever Changes", what gives?

23. I've always felt that a majority of material on that disc was recorded post Forever Changes.

24. lemonade kid

Bryan had complained in the "ifyoubelievein" liner notes that Arthur felt that Bryan's vocals were too weak, so he took over the lead. Bryan said it was the harmony, not the intended lead vocal part. and Bryan's lead vocal part was pushed back with Arthur's secondary harmony part taking the lead. I don't hear it either, but that's Bryan's story, and he felt the solo demo restored his vocal to the proper intention.

Probably the mix he objected to. But also, he might have wished to have no backing vocals, like "Old Man". After all, Bryan was feeling rather downcast with a ton of his material rejected by Arthur for inclusion...
    "not in keeping with the darker mood of the album".

Bryan may have been upset by the fact that Arthur's voice does take center stage. But hey, that was Arthur and his voice was the stronger of the two and would overshadow Bryan in any event. And Forever Changes was his baby--even though I do believe that no other incarnation of musicians could have created that masterpiece. Even Baby Lemonade, god bless them (and I love them for carrying on the LoVE torch so well with their many great talents), even they couldn't have created the uniquely subtle and sublime backing parts of Michael, Johnny, Bryan, and Kenny. Unique in rock history, and one of the greatest albums ever performed... and created.

deanrelax likes this.
  25. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Bryan's (demo) recordings of Alone Again Or are all from the post-Love era, as is most of the material on Ifyoubelievein and Candy's waltz. However, there are a few recordings that allegedly dates from 1966 on ifyoubelivein and a few tracks (Love will be here) that Bryan claims were written for Forever Changes but vetoed by Arthur.

As I understand it and if I remember correctly, Alone Again Or (or Alone Again as it was originally called) was written pre Love but was given a makeover during the Forever Changes sessions. According to Michael Stuart, Arthur, Bryan and Michael jointly sang harmony vocal on the track. No lead vocal from Bryan survives.

auralden, Shawn and lemonade kid like this.