LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Not so far. Darn.

2. lemonade kid

Haven't heard either way.

3. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I was just informed that I won a copy of the box set from the contest given by Redbeard! :eek:

I had pretty much forgotten about it. Looking forward to hearing that DVD!

4. Brand_New_Friend

Brand_New_Friend Active Member

tedhead, maybe you (or anybody else) could put the dvd in a blu-ray-player that is part of a 5.1.-system. I did it and was amazed about the, well, great surround sound that was provided (probably through Dolby pro logic II). I'm very interested to hear other opinions about this listening experience (dvd in a 5.1-system).

tedhead, auralden and richierichie like this.
  5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I'm going to give this a go. @lemonade kid has been raving about the Hi-Res version on the DVD and I've no doubt he is correct. So tomorrow I'll play the DVD through the Hi-Res stereo version and Dolby pro logic II.

6. Brand_New_Friend

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to hearing from you. Have fun!

richierichie likes this.
  7. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Cool, will try out in Dolby Pro Logic II this weekend!

Surround sound aside, if you want to hear the highest res stereo versiom of FC available today, get the 2015 Botnick 192/24 remaster downloadable from HDTracks UK. The 50th anniversary (CD, LP and DVD) remaster is derived from this. The DVD btw is slightly lower in resolution (96/24) than the 2015 remaster. I bought the download and played it back on a bluray player via a USB thumb drive and it sounds slightly better than the DVD.

Check this review out for more info - click here.

8. Brand_New_Friend

auralden, thank you very much for the link. there was no mention about any surround effects. I wonder why? That's what's interesting me at the moment concerning the dvd that's delivered with the box.

auralden likes this.
  9. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Hi. The DVD is actually in stereo hence the review did not cover 5.1. However the use of DSP (digital sound processing) like Dolby Pro Logic II can simulate surround sound.

Brand_New_Friend likes this.
  10. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Funny that you would mention this:

I have done this before with the cd from the 2 disc Forever Changes set, and I have to say I was very impressed. The setting on my system was Dolby Pro Logic II-X MS (MS is for music, X is for 6.1 setups). The only problem is I am currently in need of a subwoofer (the old one blew out unfortunately) but I am shopping around for a new one. Currently I am sending the bass to the speakers since they are nice 4 foot high Sharps with subs (good for listening to quad mixes when I can't use the sub). But once I get a new sub, I can't wait to shake the walls!

Both the original mix and the alternate mix that was mastered by our host Mr. Hoffman made for a great listening experience, and this was on the cd that was not as dynamic compared to the other releases! The matrix setting made it sound better than some of my albums that were actually mixed in surround. It wasn't a stereo album that had annoying excessive echo coming from the rear, but I remember being surrounded by the band and orchestra!

As a surround collector (Pink Floyd & King Crimson being among my favorite bands), I admit that I was disappointed when I found out that the FC original master tapes were lost, so there seems to be no official 5.1 mix offered any time soon. I've tried other stereo mixes using DSP settings and they have varied results. But Forever Changes is fantastic.

While waiting for my box set, I'm going to give "A Saucerful of Secrets" a go using DSP...its 50th anniversary is this month, and I have one of the best sounding cd's of that album! I'm looking forward to what others think of FC using Pro Logic.

11. Brand_New_Friend

I've just ordered the MoFi SACD - just to find out if my system will provide me with some kind of surround sound as well...

auralden likes this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Played the DVD today - my system is not Pro-Logic so didn't translate into faux 5.1, but it's just such a joy to hear this album sound this wonderful.

13. lemonade kid

It is wonderful isn't it. Like never before.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I love Love, and this album is fantastic, but it's funny how they let some dangerous, rather blue/off key vocal notes by Arthur on it :)
    Well, still better that than autotuned crap - it's human.

auralden likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

That Arthur. Real vocals. Real.

dkmonroe and The Freedom Man like this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Exactly yeah.

17. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Real trumpets too
    Not to mention the off key trumpets on “You Set the Scene”... ow

auralden and Dodoz like this.
  18. Brand_New_Friend

Got my FC MoFi-SACD today. When played on my Blu-ray player the surround-sound (Pro Logic II Music) occurs. Its characteristics are very similar to the surround sound of the DVD that comes with the 50th anniversary box. Nice surprise!

auralden likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

best part--creates the "scene"...spot on, on purpose. They are not off key...it was the key they wanted to create the great effect--perfect dissonance--genius.

20. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

More likely they just hired some low-budget players and called it good enough.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    apesfan and kwadguy like this.
  21. lemonade kid

Not.

They got the best arranger in David Angel who would not have allowed it...and Jac Holzman was hands-on for this one. Love after all, were his first rock act that he had been searching for for years. They were the ONE. He loved Love. He would never go low budget on an album he ran a huge billboard for in LA...he was all in on this one along with Botnick, and even decided on the track order, which was genius.

[​IMG]

bekayne, Rupe33 and Electric Sydney like this.
  22. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

The box set that I won arrived yesterday, and yes...that DVD sounds phenomenal. I can definitely hear the difference.

I tagged Johnny Echols on Facebook and thanked him (and the rest of the band and Redbeard), and Johnny congratulated me this morning in the comments this morning!

As for Pro Logic surround, I still would like to wait for a new sub before trying it out. I've tried it out before and it sounds great. The eerie hi-hat on Old Man coming out the back speakers is something I'll never forget. If there's one way to describe FC in Pro Logic II X 6.1 surround, its cinematic.

Brand_New_Friend and Rupe33 like this.
  23. Brand_New_Friend

tedhead, thank you for your post and the description of your feelings while listening. I too was surprised about the quality of the "fake" - or maybe better "artificial" - surround sound that comes with the dvd. Users were complaining that there was no "dedicated" 5.1-mix in the 50th anniversary box (well, we all know why it is missing). Maybe they should give this dvd a try nonetheless. I wonder if they wouldn't be satisfied with the 5.1 sound - "fake" or not.

tedhead likes this.
  24. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Well if those crappy off-key Mariachi horns were intentional they were brilliantly done. Kudos to Ollie Mitchell. It takes guts and skill to play that badly after a majestic solo like the one he turned in on Alone Again Or.

apesfan likes this.
  25. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member