LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I love Forever Changes but geez, how many times does this album need to be reissued? :yawn:

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm thinking about 27 times. That's a good number.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Maybe turn it in a different direction, add a black Gospel group...

4. The Elephant Man

Now yer talkin'!

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The gorgeous Rhino LP from a few years ago suits me fine.

6. Steve Hoffman

MoFi SACD.

RiRiIII and brianvargo like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

I thought Bruce just remastered this last year?

8. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Yeah, I picked up a copy and I am uncertain how they could possibly improve upon it. I suppose Bruce could swing by my place with some high end gear in tow and play the mastetape in my living room, just for me. But that's about it.

9. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  10. If there's no unreleased bonus material in addition to what's already out there I'll pass. The 2001 remaster sounds fine to me and so does the LP Rhino did a few years ago. As much as I love the album, enough's enough.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  11. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

Just reading the new Shindig Magazine (Issue #75) and there's an article written by Johnny Echols with the lead in of
    "March sees the release of a special 50th Anniversary edition of Love's Forever Changes. Johnny Echols, lead guitarist and lifelong friend of Arthur Lee, remebers what it was like to be in a mixed race band during a time undergoing change".

I assume that because our gracious host has already commented here, as well as being responsible a few years back for the deluxe edition with alt takes, etc, that this is not the new surprise that he dropped a hint about last week.

Also in the same issue, next page actually, is a story about The Small Faces Autumn Stone being reissued that utilizes original stereo mixes instead of the "inferior mixes and second generation fold downs used on the album" (originally). Could that be what Mr. Hoffman is working on? I really have no idea, but anything and everything is plausible at this point!

By the way, Shindig magazine is one of the best going for 60's underground sounds (and pretty good coverage of current underground sounds). If you haven't given them a try in the past, might want to check them out. A long standing favorite of mine.

12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

All I want is a vinyl mix without the hard panning of bass, drums strings etc.

13. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Yes. It confirms the previous month's Shindig article with Botnick. I am wondering if it is yet another Botnick job. I'd really like to hear a mix by someone else, like Steve...a fresh and minimalistic approach that enhances the mix without doing a Giles/Peppers number on it.

Haven't heard anything about whether it is newly mastered (from the lost tapes....not likely), but wondering what will set this apart from the last several excellent releases. Especially the Deluxe Edition double CD with the alt takes of the complete Forever Changes??

Odd we haven't seen any pre-order promos that give the details. Soon I hope.

heyday2day likes this.
  14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I had the mono LP that I found in the used bin back in the day. I didn't realize that it was mono until I took it out of the sleeve and played it - I didn't look at the label. I wrote "mono?" with a Sharpie on the cover! There was also a skip on The Red Telephone. I'll buy another copy of this albu, if that is how Bruce is packaging it! :)

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

Now MONO would be something! You've hit on it! Do you notice anything better or different in the MONO vs Stereo? Man, a mono vinyl must be very rare and valuable! You say "had" so I'm guessing you lost it! Darn.

I've never heard Forever Changes in MONO, but I have the two previous in MONO and they are fantastic.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't recall what the differences were. I do remember being disappointed, hence me scribbling on the cover! I think that three is a thread here somewhere debating if it was a fold-down. Yes, I no longer have that LP and few hundred others that were lost due to water damage. :cry:

17. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Surely it will be a CD issue of the new Hi-Rez mix that was put out...Was mastered nicely - but I like the original CDs I grew up with...

18. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Great news! Let's hope the sound quality will be the best that it can be. By the way, the news has also been reported here.

19. htom

htom Senior Member

He did, but I'm not aware of that download only version (24/192) being commercially available any more. Same with his remaster of The MC5's Kick Out the Jams that came out shortly after this one.

It does sound more like this may be a CD/Vinyl reissue using his remaster.

20. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I have a mono (UK) one. I don't know what differences there are, I can't really tell.

21. lemonade kid

That sucks. Yes, 1967 was on the edge of fold-downs. It may have been the beginning of fold-downs in earnest when Forever Changes was released in November of 1967.

A true MONO would be something worth seeing AND hearing in this 50th Anniversary release.

auralden and stereoptic like this.
  22. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I got the impression that the UK mono of "Da Capo" was a fold, whereas the US One was a proper mono mix ...

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. The Elephant Man

Agreed. I have a mono in VG condition and I can't hear any striking differences that stand out.
    It could very well be a fold-down.

24. lemonade kid

Yes, the US mono is a proper mono mix. Excellent indeed! I like side two mono mix best. A good listen while working.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Wonder if this is the "project" that Steve hinted at on another thread.

George P likes this.