LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

You dont really think "Gethesemane" is real, do you?

DTK likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Dunno what you're wagging your finger about.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

It's in the Bible so yeah...

4. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I've always thought it interesting how varied their three "hit singles" were style-wise -- the folk-rock treatment of "My Little Red Book," the proto-punk rush of "7 & 7 Is" and the orchestral pop of "Alone Again Or." The original lineup of the band covered so much musical ground in those three albums with each LP getting better, culminating, of course, in Forever Changes...

5. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

:ignore:

6. lemonade kid

;)

7. Hi,
    rookie member here but long time fan of Love.
    (got the doc and MSW's book as well as all the albums/cds/dvds).
    I just found out about the 50th reissue of FC and the first place I thought to look for an honest, intelligent review was here.
    Thank you for not disappointing me with this epic thread.

8. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Interesting that you consider Love's treatment of "My Little Red Book" to be folk rock. I've always thought of it also as a bit of proto-punk.

9. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I guess since it blends in so well with the rest of the first album which is undoubtably folk rock. But, yeah, I can hear some proto-punk in it as well.

Edmoney likes this.
  10. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Thanks for this tip! I ordered a sample sleeve and it arrived today. It's now on my FC 50th set. Fits perfectly! :righton:

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Sadness and despair! My front cover of the set was scratched/torn when my amplifier accidentally fell on it. It is only an inch long and on the white area around the faces, but I'm pretty bummed. I was hoping to have Johnny and if possible Michael Stuart sign it someday. I wrote an inquiry to Rhino on their website, and hope they have mercy on me. This is one of my most prized possessions...I know accidents happen, but ugh! I hope I can replace it without having to buy an an entire new set!:mudscrying:

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a nice dream by guys deep into heroin.

musicaner likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Listened to this entire set today. What a gift to fans of this great album!

auralden likes this.
  14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Disc 4's backing tracks have really grabbed me. Being able to hear the beautiful instrumental work on these songs without vocals has given me an additional appreciation for the work on this record. Now I wish there had been more such tracks included. Gorgeous stuff.

richierichie, team2 and auralden like this.
  15. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I just picked this up for 50 bucks from Amazon this week. FYI, it is still available at that price. All I've done so far is listen to the Bernie Grundman vinyl cut of the Bruce Botnick remaster and it is pretty spectacular. As far as I can tell, it comes very very close to the Mobile Fidelity double 45 RPM set. The Mobile Fidelity has perhaps just a little bit more detail, but that's only going on memory. I'll have to do a proper shootout soon. The vinyl is also dead flat and Whisper quiet. It's a beautiful pressing. If you have been on the fence about picking up this box set, grab it from Amazon now at this great price while you can! Forever Changes (50th Anniversary Edition)(4CD/1DVD/1LP) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JPP1QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_G3W5BbY6PEAFS

auralden, team2, George P and 2 others like this.
  16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Hey @lemonade kid, just stopping by to say I finally purchased the Love box set. What a nice sentence that was to write. Anyway, I have been reading along here and I want to remind you I think it's great you always have something to say or post about Love and there have been some great comments from Michael Stuart-Ware. He has really been a pleasure and I hope he's enjoying that we're interested in all his comments. I will finally get his book for Christmas and I'm sure it will be great. I may be posting some kind of review for the box on Love thread since I haven't been hosting as prominently as I should. Anyway hope all is well with you and all the Love fans here.

17. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

richierichie and team2 like this.
  18. lemonade kid

Remastered of course....sorry. Misspoke. But a fine remaster by Botnick...he finally got it right after 50 years on.

19. lemonade kid

Hi WilliamWes. Thanks for your fine words. Michael is doing well and just exchanged Happy Thanksgiving wishes. You will love his book. Well worth it and the only Love member personal memoir.

Looking forward to your review.

:tiphat:[​IMG]

Electric Sydney likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

21. lemonade kid

Arthur Lee & Love live on BBC Radio 2 in 2004!

A rare in-studio recording of Alone Again Or by Love with Arthur Lee for BBC Radio 2 in 2004.

Recorded for Janice Long's show on 26 June 2004, the performance was broadcast on 1 July 2004. The performance is by the band only; without orchestral backing, so Alone Again Or's instrumental section is performed on electric guitar!

Also recorded were two other songs; Rainbow In the Storm and All I Want Is You. --courtesy "mikeb" from Torben's Love forum.

richierichie and DTK like this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

did arthur perform rainbow in the storm live? or release it commercially? how about the song "love on earth must be'
    ive heard about it but never actually heard it. were they perfromed in concert?

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks!
    Always though it sad that the only new Athur songs from that era were released on a cd-r sold at gigs only.

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

are they available anywhere?

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident