Lovin' Spoonful in Mono coming from Sundazed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Did anyone who received these get booklets with them? Mine have none but the digipack design has space for them. Just curious.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I didn't either. I wonder if they were going to and then changed their minds.

3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

No booklets, which is a disappointment. The vinyl is a reproduction of the original jacket, the lp sleeve is audiophile, any extra photos are in the cd packaging only.

I was really hoping for some info on the accessing the Mono tapes, if not photos & liner notes, but nada.

4. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Just ordered the CD's from Sundazed as well. Looking forward to it. I wonder if the other mono albums will be released? Hope so.

BeatleStair likes this.
  5. BeatleStair

Listening to Other Side of This Life right now. There is some slight distortion on this track but it doesnt sound like a needledrop to me. The bass is very smooth. Sounds good to me.

The rest of the CD sounds great! These mono mixes just kill the stereo versions!!! I'm really pleased with these CDs.

D.B. likes this.
  6. BeatleStair

These CDs have a lot more dynamics then the Mamas and Papas Sundazed. love the sound on these!!!

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I only ordering Hums ( I think the band was just an average blues band, so the first two aren't favorites:hide:), and I'm listening now. Wow.
    I had a great nd of a friend's pristine vinyl, but that is getting chucked out. As far as the third one goes, don't hesitate.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can't wait for mine to arrive

9. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

This is definitely a needledrop, as there is vinyl distortion present throughout the track, except for the intro (before the drums) and the last note. It sounds like the same thing that was done to the Mamas & Papas second album. The rest of the tracks do sound like they are completely from tape, though, and I agree that the sound for all of the other tracks is excellent.

Since I don't own an original mono LP, I cannot comment on whether these mixes match the original mono LP mixes; however, the mono mix of "Do You Believe In Magic" does not match the 45 copy I have. My guess is that they possibly made a separate mono 45 mix that differed from the album, assuming the Sundazed CD has the correct mono LP version. The main difference is that the 45 has a lot of reverb added to the vocals on the last ~20 seconds of the song.

IDwithnoE and lukpac like this.
  10. Just curious, could you please post pics of the photos underneath the CD trays of all 3 digipaks? I'm curious to see if Sundazed put their pics of the tape boxes underneath the CD trays (at least for the 2 they posted). But I'm not seeing any tape box underneath the CD for Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful, and that was one of 2 they did post a tape box scan of (the other being Daydream).

If you could also post a pic of the sticker for Hums, that would be great also :D

11. BeatleStair

Not home at the moment but there are no pics of the tape boxes underneath on those two CDs unfortunately!

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I received my package from SUNDAZED and no question, these will be my go-to Lovin' Spoonful discs from here on out.

I'm not obsessive about MONO mixes, but these sound so much more natural to my ears than the stereo BMG Heritage CD's. Both editions were mastered by Bob Irwin at Sundazed Studios so I'm sure the stereo versions are faithful and accurate to the master tapes. But man, they always sounded "juiced" to my ears and the wide s-t-e-r-e-o fragmented the bright 'n shiny ingredients, I had trouble enjoying them. I compiled a 'best of' and radically narrowed the stereo on SoundForge... glad I have the mono mixes now.

SUNDAZED, salude!

Nostalgist, Paul J and GetHappy!! like this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just ordered mine.
    So what is the status of the tapes for You're a Big Boy Now & Everything Playing

So is there any interesting story on how they found the tapes? Steve said they were gone...or was he referring to just the masters[​IMG]

14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

This is a strange comment. When was the last time you heard the first two Lovin' Spoonful albums?

There are a few blues songs on the debut, mixed-in with the wonderful John Sebastian originals, the folk songs and adaptations of traditional material (some of which are blues-based). But the overall flavor of the album is not that of a blues revival outfit. Zal Yanovsky was an outstanding guitarist and with their rock, pop and folk sensibilities they created a very distinct sound. I suppose Fishin' Blues or Wild About My Lovin' would sound too bright and shiny, too airy for a Butterfield Blues Band album, and Zal's playing on Night Owl Blues is more about Duane Eddy than Elmore James. But that's the point... The Lovin' Spoonful weren't a revival outfit. They created pop music from a deep well of tradition.

And then they moved onward...
    Daydream
    is comprised of almost all Sebastian originals and only the dreamy Day Blues nods to the blues genre at all. To my ears, Daydream has always been their best, most cohesive album.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Paul J, Bill and zen like this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Their debut is still my favorite LP....and yet I'm not really big on "the blues" anymore. Maybe it's because they are a bit more quirky with their blues.

I ordered all three Sundazed mono and I can't wait.

Guy E likes this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

You won't be disappointed. All three are great and they sound whole in MONO. There's something nice about spinning an album that clocks-in at 30-minutes or less. All three albums leave me satisfied and hungry for more.

D.B. and zen like this.
  17. And actually those songs are more jug band than blues band. Fantastic records.

D.B. and Guy E like this.
  18. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Hear hear! re Daydream. Monster songs on that record. You Didn't Have To Be So Nice is my all-time favorite song of theirs, Didn't Want To Have To Do It may be the 2nd, There She Is has KILLER guitar, Jug Band Music is great Dylanesque meets WB cartoon whimsy, and It's Not Time Now is totally ace songwriting. And I haven't even mentioned the title track! Would that they could have put together a couple more albums like this.

Paul J likes this.
  19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine arrived today. I played the first one...very well done

20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Mine too and my mono single sounds so much better than the stereo version. You can actually hear the vocal on the mono track.

The Panda likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Cohesive is not a strength to me with this band. I love how Hums skips around, normally that doesn't appeal to me, but I had it in the car today and thought wow what a cool genre hopping exercise. . I find the blues and bluesy songs boring, even the few on Hums. You don't have to convince me of anything about Zal. and yes, I have the first two on cds that I copied from a friend

22. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Just an aside, what was going on just before Magic, there are a couple more versions, all with Zal on guitar.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Agreed. Other Side of This Life has the same issues the sample did. Clean into, fairly noisy/distorted body of the song, clean end. Also interesting to note that the intro and end result in silence when OOPSed, but the body of the song doesn't. One wonders what happened to that song when everything else was apparently from tape.

Brian W. and IDwithnoE like this.
  24. Huck Caton

Huck Caton Well-Known Member

I just received the three records and am pretty impressed. Reasonably heavy, warp-free discs with very little surface noise; nicely reproduced covers… What more could a Spoonful fan ask? And, oh yeah, I can actually hear all the vocals again in these mono mixes.

I hereby award the Sundazed vinyl reissues 4.2 Lenas™ out of a possible 5! ;)

25. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX Thread Starter

We could ask for Everything Playing and the two soundtracks in mono. I don't know if that would be feasible for Sundazed or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.