Low priced A/V Receiver suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GabeL, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got a neighbor looking for a low priced A/V receiver that will have the option for two sets of speakers (A and B) and ideally with an HDMI input/output. The speakers that will be driven by this receiver are likely to be 80 watts rms (at 8 ohms).

The budget is rather on the lower end (about $150-$200) and buying a used one is definitely a possibility.

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Avoid Denon. All models have a power section issue that, while it only crops up in a small percentage of units, is impossible to diagnose and fix. The scumbags know about it (Google it), but it apparently isn't economically feasible to fix. This problem hit me (no kidding) the day after my warranty expired. Terrible engineering and QA. I've now had two Sony ES receivers and both have been fantastic.

GabeL likes this.
  3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Check availability at www.accessories4less.com for new and refurbished gear. Check local craigslist for castaways.

Looking for 5.1 of 7.1? 5.1 can bring the price down.

The option for A/B speakers on the main stereo pair is going to be the kicker here. It's usually a feature reserved for high end devices. Consider using pre-amp outs and a separate amplifier. Something inexpensive like one of the many models from AudioSource could fit the bill, or even if low volumes are expected on speaker B a T-Amp can be used.

StimpyWan and jeffsab like this.
  4. GabeL

Yep, definitely looking at a 5.1 receiver (as you say, could be cheaper).

My neighbor wants this to be as simple as possible, hence why I'm not considering a separate amplifier.

5. GabeL

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they would like to have a front input for an iPod on the receiver.

6. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

I have had great success with the budget pioneer A/V receivers. However, I believe 80 watts will run around $299.00 (US)

7. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

8. irong

irong Forum Resident

Yep, Yamaha is a very good idea.

I owned a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, from the RX-V series, for a few years. Some find them bright sounding, but they are solid and durable.

If you need zone B you'll have to buy the RX-V575, which is a bit over your budget (350$). Although you should be able to find it or some similar older model used for a fraction of the price.

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OK please provide link(s) that discuss this.

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

11. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

This is patently untrue. :shake:

To say that all models of any company's receivers have a unfixable and untraceable flaw doesn't even pass the smell test. If that was the case, Denon would be out of business. Have you tried to buy an Akai, JVC or Sansui receiver lately? It's a really tough market out there right now and the bad stuff has gone away. Only the good stuff has even a chance of surviving.

I sold both Denon and Yamaha receivers for decades. For the most part, both companies made pieces that work wonderfully. They both also made their share of troubled models. So have Pioneer and Sony.

For the record, I own a Denon AVR-3300 receiver, which is in my computer system and has worked flawlessly for almost 15 years. My main home theater receiver is Yamaha RX-V1800. That is maybe 10 years old and also has worked like a charm.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

We shall have to agree to disagree. Google it to see jut how many different models are affected. A lot. But because it doesn't crop often relative to gross sales, they refuse to fix it. It's a nonissue for them. But very much an issue if you happen to be one of the lucky owners who got a lemon. I hope to live long enough to dance on Denon's grave.

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I don't need to Google anything. I sold literally hundreds of Denon receivers, if not over a thousand, through my stereo store from 1985 to 2006. Your idea that I should take Internet gossip and allow it trump my own personal experience is insane.

PhilBiker, Szeppelin75 and gloomrider like this.
  14. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

+1

I have both an AVR-3806 and an AVR-4310ci that are just rock solid. Now, they're both Made In Japan and I notice the latest units are not anymore, so I can't speak to reliability of the current Denon crop.

ggergm likes this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

at the end of the thread that was referenced later:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/denon-receiver-problem.279504/

the OP says
    not that any piece of equipment is perfect, but to make a claim that 'all' units could have this 'unfixable' problem seems absurd to me. Sorry you had a bad experience, and of course you can believe whatever you wish.

I own an older Denon 5.1 AVR and will likely buy another Denon or Marantz AVR or AVP when I get a chance. Denon's AVR-X4000 or Marantz's SR6008 look like good contenders for what I will buy.

16. I had a Denon stereo receiver for years in my office . It worked great for about 12 years. Played about 8 straight hours per weekend.

17. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

ShopOnkyo.com is having a sale right now: 25% off refurbished. You can get a super-cheap TX-SR313 for $108 or a more fully featured TX-NR535 for $262.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The 313 seems to fit all the OP's criteria, and for half the budget! I say GO FOR IT!!!!!

artfromtex, therockman and jeffsab like this.
  19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Do it, man.

20. GabeL

Does one need to be a registered member of their site and if so, where is that link??

Thanks so much!

21. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

The site design is terrible. Go here: https://www.shoponkyo.com/join_clubonkyo.cfm

When you sign up, I think they also give you 10 points to use on purchases, which is a further $10 discount.

GabeL likes this.
  22. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I grabbed some older Onkyo components for a bedroom system at a pawn shop (receiver, cd player and 7 band EQ)... happy with them so far, so I'd encourage you pull the trigger on the 313 for $108.

23. GabeL

Thanks for the sign-up link...now to research a bit :)

24. GabeL

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but even after signing up, I'm not able to locate the TX-SR313??

25. GabeL

Well, I just called Onkyo, and they have sold out of that receiver...but they were quite helpful and suggested I check in daily to see what specials are new :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.