Low Profile Subs (Car audio in the home?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Carrman, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to add a sub to a very small area. I have a space that's about 23"x15"x11" and am hoping to find something that adds some bass to my system. Active preferably.

I've been searching for a low profile sub cabinet and the one thing that keeps popping up is car audio subs, which are very thin!

I'm not expecting the cleanest most detailed bass here, just something to support the low end when I want to crank it up.

Here are some examples of what I've seen.

6 Best Underseat Subwoofers - (Reviews & Buying Guide 2019)

Any recommendations for small subs that pack a punch?

2. Carrman

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That might work for you. There are some rather compact (cube shaped) subs with 8" or dual 8" drivers which perform very well. They won't fit under most furniture, but they do fit into many other tight spaces.
    -Bill

4. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

I have the Kicker in my car and it sounds really good. Though the problem with a sub like this is that you will need a 12V power supply.

Have you looked into bass engines? I use a couple with my surround headphones for movies and it sounds/feels incredible.

5. Chazz

Chazz Music Addict

6. Carrman

Thanks for the replies!

Are you referring to bass shakers or transducers like this?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Aura-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker/dp/B0002ZPTBI

Not familiar with bass engines...

7. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It so happens I worked in that area for many years. Some gleanings of wisdom from that experience:
    - If an enclosure was that size, it's about 1.4-2 cubic feet, depending if you use 3/4" or 1" wood, and if you stuff it or not. That's small for a home sub, but not TOO tiny.
    - Post a PICTURE of the space and we can be more helpful.
    - Because I'm feeling this is a DIY* job, but if you want it active a plate amp needs ventilation.
    - Because maybe a pair of tiny cube subs could fit.
    - The Parts Express piece uses VERY thin enclosure walls, forget that.
    - Ported will be very tough to get tight sound with a big enough port area (which is why some tiny subs use passive radiators). I'd probably go sealed.
    - The bigger the woofer you try and stuff in there, the boomier the system will naturally resonate, so you need big magnets to tighten the sound (by reducing the "Q"). Inevitably physics says you end up with thin bass which is actually quite OK if if IF you have a flexible crossover, and can adjust the lowpass SEPARATELY from the highpass. Or maybe if you have Audyssey or Dirac. (The alternate design is a hugely heavy cone to get a lower resonance frequency, and then a more-huger magnet to tighten the response. By then, the woofer is too big to fit in a small box!
    - Physics dictates small subs will need big power if you want to crank it up in a big room. 100 watts is not enough, even 300 may be marginal with a small box. You'll run out of power surprisingly quickly even at not super loud volumes with a small amp.

*Either by you, or a good car audio dealer that regularly does custom work. Or, they *might* have premade enclosures that would fit in that space. Again, a picture is worth 1084.2 words. ;)

9. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

SVS SB-1000 12" Sub

Dimension | 13.5" (H) 13" (W) 14" (D) (Your dimensions 23"x15"x11" )

Slightly bigger in one dimension. A popular sub on this forum with many.

SB-1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.