Low quality of early Pink Floyd albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by central616, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. central616

central616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have all the 2011 remastered albums, and for me they are pretty cool, but not a big difference from what I have previously.

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

What did you have previously?

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't agree that they are "poor quality." The stereo mix on some of the tracks on Piper is not optimal ("Lucifer Sam" has silence in one channel for the first couple of bars), but overall I like the stereo mix of that album. A Saucerful Of Secrets is not quite as good, the stereo mix for that album has always seemed kind of wonky to me. I have no complaints about More or Ummagumma - the Gilmour and Waters portions of Ummagumma are delightful to listen to. Atom Heart Mother is pretty muddy but it's a very ambitious composition.

The mono mixes of the first two LP's are fantastic. I wish they's release them on LP.

Pete Puma and sathvyre like this.
  4. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

Yeah those were early days of stereo, lots of weird mixes from that era

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think a lot of this probably just has to do with Norman Smith's production and mixing technique. The Pretty Things SF Sorrow sounds muddy too. I don't mind it at all. In fact I prefer these records to sound a little dirty. It adds to the spook!

AlienRendel and parman like this.
  6. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I had striped label Towers of the first three back in 1973 and eventually
    replaced them with the UKs. The Columbia 'More' was especially nice.

7. AndyK235

AndyK235 Forum Resident

The stereo mix of "Corporal Clegg" is pretty wonky. A lot of left/right hard panning of instruments and vocals.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I don't think they sound any better or worse than contemporary albums like Surrealistic Pillow, The Who Sell Out, etc.

9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I love that clip of him. When he was still charismatic and full of life.

10. the Atom Heart Mother Suite is a bit dense and muddy, though I never found this objectionable. The udder side of the album sounds very nice.

andrewskyDE and Instant Dharma like this.
  11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Where is this clip from? I don't recognise it.

12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Pink Floyd was a cult band during the period you mention. They didn't have the time or money to perfect things in the studio like the Beatles did. That came after Meddle, and also coincided with a big leap in the quality/clarity of studio equipment in the early 70s. That said, I absolutely love the sound of British recordings from 66-70. Lot's of grit and character. For instance, I don't think the Kinks Pye records would sound any better with super sonics. The tubey goodness and a little hiss adds to the magic. It's like a dusty old book with it's own smell. I think Piper is one of the coolest sounding records ever made. The sonics, the arrangements and the performances. The mono mix is the way to go though, as with Sgt. Pepper. That's what they were still focused on in 1967.

13. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

vudicus likes this.
  14. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

A part of me would love a remix of Piper, much in the same vein as the 2010 remixes; those were great! Sadly, the Piper multi-tracks have been reported to be missing, and are believed to have been wiped by EMI...

15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I think they sound better than today's music.
    Today's ears are less used to music with more variety, instruments, timbre, range.

So what young people think sounds bad is indeed what actual music should sound like.

Thise rythm boxes and electronic drums sure sound cleaner, but also more boring.

Bolero likes this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Why do people denigrate the stereos by saying they are "wonky", it is just stereo effects, it was the time. I wouldn't want to hear early Floyd, Hendrix etc without those panned sounds.

AlienRendel, andrewskyDE and kendo like this.
  17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Some of those stereo effects are great, but having only vocals in one channel and everything else in the other channel just sounds kind of weak. I think that's what people are taking issue with, the extreme panning of elements.

andrewskyDE and Bolero like this.
  18. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

There's a 2xLP version of the SF Sorrow and Parachute on UK Harvest - not muddy at all, in fact the sound is remarkably good.

kendo likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He put the sibilance in rhe first string of Obscurred pressings.

andrewskyDE and vudicus like this.
  20. Marc Perman

The double album A Nice Pair is a nice way to get the first two albums on vinyl, the US copy is very good and the UK is better still. The early compilation Relics has remarkably good sound (UK copy, I haven't heard the US with its different cover).

c-eling likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Saucerful sounds quite muddy. Piper sounds fantastic in stereo.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The US Capitol 'Jay' cut 1975 Relics is surprisingly pretty good Marc. Found one at thrift for a few bucks. Nice sound stage, EQ etc..
    I expected it to sound like garbage :laugh:

Marc Perman likes this.
  23. Marc Perman

Yes the "Jay" cut is really good, I was content with it until I found a UK copy (which unlike the US has the studio version of Astronomy Domine, thus making the 1st LP a complete Piper). Shout out to Flashback Records in Crouch End for pricing my NM copy at 24 UKP.

c-eling likes this.
  24. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

I wish that someday they would release mono Saucerful Of Secrets on CD and reissue the mono-vinyl.

I've never heard the mono mix.

andrewskyDE and Big Pasi like this.
  25. Strange but true; i LOVE the sound of AHM. Dont ask me why

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.