LP bin2 lp storage cabinet

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stump, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stump

Stump Forum Resident Thread Starter

lpbin2 lp storage cabinet
    It looks like this LP Bin 2 model has steel shelving. Is anyone using one and do you have instruction sheet or picture of how the steel shelf's are joined together.It would be nice to modify the bottom shelf into a draw which slides out a bit.
    Stump

LPBIN2 LP Storage Cabinet

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like this bin. I hate records sitting sideways on a shelf, where it is difficult to flip through them (like the way, that mine are not!).

I want to get something like this!

Stump likes this.
  3. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I'm a general building tradesman but I've done some cabinetmaking in my day. (And, as it turns out, I just finished designing an eight drawer unit that will allow "record-store style" storage. It won't be cheap to build.)

In regard to your question, when I look at the image in the link provided I see two things worth pointing out.

1) Yes you could put a drawer down below (you just to get one fabricated to spec, get some heavy duty full extension slides, and (see next and last) modify the opening. That is not a terribly tall order for anyone whose got any cabinetmaking experience and even a fairly primitive shop.

2) When I look at that image, especially at the top portion of the unit, I don't see a lot of extra room between the two rows of LPs and the sides of the rack. The link does not provide dimensions of the unit. LPs are heavy and so you would want to designate a suitably beefy drawer box (say 5/8" sides). If you use outer sleeves on your records you'll want 12 3/4"-13" of space for each of two (front to back) rows. Using Accuride slides requires a drawer box 1 1/32" narrower than the opening. So, minimally I would be thinking 12 3/4" x 2 = 25 1/2" plus 5/8" x 2 (drawer sides) = 1 1/4" plus 1 1/32" (slide spacing). Altogether you would have to have 27 25/32" (or a hair over 27 3/4"). From the image it does not look to me like there is that much room available.

You could still make a narrower drawer sized to maximize the volume and only put one row (front to back) of LPs. You'd have a bit less than half the volume to use for something else. If you wanted you could build two drawers, one sized for the needed LP width and one slightly smaller one alongside. In that instance you'd need to do some modifications to the unit carcass in order to accept two drawers as opposed to one.

Oh yes, then you may want to finish the modified unit (drawers and other component elements) to match.

Personally, I feel that is a lot of effort and expense to put into a unit that is clearly of KD (knock down) manufacture. (Although admittedly would still be cheaper than custom cabinetmaking from scratch.)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Stump and toddrhodes like this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

$330!?
    For that price, I feel I could build about 10 of those from wood.

patient_ot and nm_west like this.
  5. BrokenByAudio

No, not ten, and certainly not out of any decent cabinet grade plywood. Please accept my experience with this sort of thing.

Shoalcove and Vinyl Addict like this.
  6. Yet but your labor is free. What if you added in a real hourly wood building wage ?

ggergm likes this.
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I got a quote for the construction of a similarly shaped record rack. It had one level of flip bins and two shelves but otherwise the design was basically the same. I also used different materials to match my existing cabinets, specifically homemade butcher block out of cheap pine for the visible parts. That bid was about 50% more than the cost of this cabinet.

This is a pretty nice design for the money. I like it a lot and might get one

8. Vinyl Addict

Haha, don't need to. I have nothing better to do!
    :cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Mazzy likes this.
  9. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I've been looking at these for a long time. I'm considering them as replacements for the IKEA shelves I've been using for the last 12 years. They have served me well but I now have 11 boxes of LPs that won't fit the current shelves and they are no longer available so I can't expand. I'm getting ready to move into a new house with a small dedicated listening room and would really like a row of these. I'm also not confident the IKEA shelves are going to survive the move.

Problem is, I need at least 5 or 6 LPbins and that starts to get pricey. I have also considered getting a local cabinet shop to build a knock off but as others have said that may be more expensive than buying the LPbins. I plan to keep an eye on this thread and I'll be back with more on my story as it unfolds.

Stump likes this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

I would think you can store a lot more in the Expedits than you can with these LPBins. (Square footage, I mean)
    You can stack a 2x2 on top of a 2x4 and store about 750 albums in less than 3 square feet of space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta say, I DO like the design of the storage on the top row of those bins, but the bottom is the same as any other shelf. I'd build my own, or have someone custom build some at a comperable price maybe.

11. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I just completed an LP Rack project, its easier to attach a thread from the VPI Forum than to post pictures here.

This was completed for less cost (but not by much) than the Rack in the O.P.'s link.

vpiforum.com • View topic - Winter Project

Dave B and Stump like this.
  12. Stump

Stump Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to point out the shelving on the LPbin2 is folded steel.The design I am looking at is all forward flipping.I do use Ikea Billy at the moment but after 3 weeks record flipping in Japan I would like similar at home.Regarding cost I would look at buying X3 LPbin2 so apart from the cost I will have to add $500Us for shipping to Australia.

BrokenByAudio If I end up making at home ,I could make it wider to accommodate a lower draw.

mreeter Your cabinet looks good.

13. BrokenByAudio

If we custom make it we can do just about anything we want! :cool:

Stump and Vinyl Addict like this.
  14. JohnVinylJames

JohnVinylJames Member

Agreed, $33o does seem a bit pricey for that storage unit. However, these days those are the kind of prices manufacturers are charging for vinyl storage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.