LP Mailers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peter, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yeah, I just ordered 100 LP-sized cardboard spacers to use for that very purpose.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yes, Peter is up there with Raunchnroll and Geoman as one of the most conscientious sellers here. If you order an LP from them, it will arrive securely packaged, you can count on that. Apologies to anyone whose name I omitted.

3. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I haven't sold LP's in a while, but thought if I ever got back into it I would contact Craig Moerer/Records By Mail to inquire about his source for mailers. (He still charges $4 for a single LP s/h in the US.) They seem far superior to Bags U and other sources I've used. The corners seem indestructible, which is often what arrives damaged via other mailers even with spacers.

4. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

$4 per is pretty steep
    I think you can get good ones from bags unlimited as mentioned or uline
    Just get the fillers and it is easy to fold them correctly
    I get tons of lps and sell some too and they work fine
    The only lps I have ever received with severe shipping damage were ones where the seller used some other kind of packaging
    And not a proper lp mailer

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Yeah Craig moerer has great mailers, very strong cardboard. they get them custom made somewhere
    I asked them before and if I can find the info I will post it, I imagine the place would be happy to sell some to other people

Aftermath likes this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Mike. I think one of the problems may have been that you turned the box inside out and did not tape it up securely. I think by re-folding it, the box was compromised. Also note that this spent over a week at the dreaded "USPS sort facility in Jersey City". The place where packages go to die. :(

Quite surprised to see my grubby fingers in this thread, but just so everyone is aware, we are good on this. I just thought I would share the picture with mikeyt when the item arrived since he PM'd me that it would be delivered. We had a conversation about it and all is cool.

By the way, the record is superb! (See Listening On Vinyl in the Long And Winding threads for more)

mikeyt likes this.
  7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Just to follow up on this, when I asked craig moerer/records by mail about it back in 2012, they told me they get their mailers from:

http://boxandfoam.com/

They don't list the LP mailers there as far as I can tell but I'd imagine they will sell the same ones if you get in touch

8. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I just received two LP's yesterday. One from Craig Moerer/RBM and the other from an eBay seller using Bags U. I did my first side by side comparison and in any given spot the Moerer/RBM cardboard resisted least 4 times as much force before bending than the Bags U cardboard could sustain.

9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I use these
    I have never had any issue, best price I have found.: .51/per
    I sell a ton of ****, no one has ever complained or had an issue as far as I know.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiastâ„¢

I simply re-use the mailers I already have. I keep my collection under the 200 mark by selling off duplicates and albums that accrued value too quickly, and keep all mailers. And use lots of clear packing tape (also handy for preserving shipping addresses on packaging).

11. I contacted boxandfoam.com and they asked what my company name was and said they had to ask Craig Moerer first. Does he have a patent on these mailers? I highly doubt that Craig Moerer designed them. I guess they're not too eager for more business. Oh well.

12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I've bought from Craig, his boxes are damn near bulletproof.

John at Audiophile USA has a more labor intensive method with a pizza style box, foam peanuts, a plastic bag taped around the record with a cardboard stiffener on either side. But I must say, I haven't lost a record sent by him, even when they have spent the afternoon on the porch in the rain by an absent minded postman.

To me, for the more valuable ones, shipped locally, almost more important than the box, is two day priority shipping, if you can get the customer to pay for it. I use two of their supplied boxes, one folded flat on the record and then inserted diagonally in the other constructed properly. Basically using one as a stiffener and the other as an oversized parcel.

And I've actually had some dimwit send me a record in a soft bubble wrap envelope from Europe to the states . Amazingly I made it without damage... A miracle!

Cheap (flimsy) boxes are the devil's playground.

8tracks likes this.
  13. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

The best boxes for shipping records are completely free. you'll have to ship priority though

Sandwich the cover between cardboard. Take a USPS priority box. Fold over the end and tape it together. Do not "build" the box. Keep it flat. Insert record. Tape over other side. You now have about 4 inches of protection around each side.

Perry Cox taught me that. If it's good enough for a 5000 dollar record, it's good enough for my PRT copy of "Face to Face."

8tracks likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know this is a very old thread but....

I sell records all over the world and all price ranges. One thing I have found is that two orders are rarely ever the same thickness. Throw in a 3-LP tri-fold set, or a nice double album with a box set, etc. And they are all different.

I use additional cardboard squares and sometimes an additional sheet or two of bubble wrap and everything is customized.

I can't imagine one box with a single fold line working out for all my buyer's orders.

15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered some plus inserts. 100 + 100 is $56 less than BU.

:edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.