LP or CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by krabapple, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nin,

You weren't around here months ago when all of these fights used to break out on this fourm on an almost daily basis. the last thing we really need is more division concerning formats. Steve Hoffman and the other moderators (gorts) want this to be a fun place, and they don't want division. That's why they didn't make seperate forums for vinyl lovers and CD lovers.

Most of us acknowledge that BOTH formats have their positive and negatives. To start coming out and saying that one is better than the other causes dissention on these boards. You may call it childlike behavior, others call it passion. But, you have now seen what issues like this does to people. I expect the Stereo/surround sound thread to get ugly before long.

All,

If you guys think one format sounds better to you, try to find more diplomatic ways of saying it. I think I did try to remain diplomatic on nin's thread of what sounds "better".

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

There might be a couple reasons why this might be useful, but your point is well taken, Alex. Might I suggest, though, that on SOTA equipment, the DIFFERENCES (no value judgment here) would be more audible?

3. nin

nin Forum Resident

You weren't around here months ago when all of these fights used to break out on this fourm on an almost daily basis. the last thing we really need is more division concerning formats.

No, but I am or has been on many boards and this thing happens everywhere. To bad I think.

That's why they didn't make seperate forums for vinyl lovers and CD lovers.

That's great! I agree.

Most of us acknowledge that BOTH formats have their positive and negatives. To start coming out and saying that one is better than the other causes dissention on these boards. You may call it childlike behavior, others call it passion.

Yes, I agree. But as you maybe prefer CD I prefer LP, and the strange thing I see on almost every board is that If I say that I prefer LP, I will get comments direct that CD sound like the master tape and LP is colored, etc.
    I rarely see that any that prefer LP does that in a CD thread. So why is it that some people find it so offensive that I prefer LP over CD? CD as we all know has won the battle over the customers, so why are they so offended by the small batch of people that prefer LP's?

I expect the Stereo/surround sound thread to get ugly before long.

Yes, I agree, and I know what I think already :)

4. krabapple

krabapple New Member Thread Starter

And again: the poll is not about analog vs. digital per se. It's LP vs. CD.

5. krabapple

I belive I did that i the second or third post to the thread.

Far too late now, I see.

6. krabapple

My experience is that vinylphiles almost *never* simply write "I prefer LP to CD".

And therein lies the rub.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And the absolute WORST sounding LPs I ever heard were those early digital atrocities from DGG, Angel, London and RCA.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know if it is still up, but if you do a search, you might find a 13+ page long thread where I *believe* some forum members believe the LP comes closer to the master tape.

9. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Bill Watrous! I've hauled trash for him. He lives in Shadow Hills. In fact he gave me a CD of "Bone-ified" and everyone knows ya gotta be "Bonafide" :)

BTW FWIW I voted for CD and I still dislike acronyms. Geez now I guess I'm a VIP.

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I've not heard this one SGB. Let us know the SACD status so I don't run out and locate a dinosaur copy....

11. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Yeah Bill has played up here in Modesto a couple of times and he remembered me from CSUN, a real nice guy and he plays his ass off!:cool:

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Hey Ron...is Modesto south of San Luis Obispo or is it north of Paso Robles? I can't remember.

13. Ronflugelguy

14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

15. Ronflugelguy

Good to hear from you. i hope this isn't considered crapping.;)

16. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Welll...you know what they say...when you gotta go, you gotta go! :D

17. Ronflugelguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.