LP shelving

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPartyka, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

I don't know if technically this falls under a "hardware" heading, but ... after successfully building a DIY equipment rack some weeks back, I had one last listening-room project to tackle: converting a cavity in the wall (previously covered by doors and taken up by cheap wire shelving I wouldn't have trusted to hold a can of Coke) to recessed shelving for LPs.

I finally did it on Sunday, and here's the result:

[​IMG]

After the picture was taken, I added dowel pieces to support the center of each shelf, to minimize long-term bowing.

This is a MUCH better use of my space, and now I have loads more room for more LPs. (Here's another shot ... previously, most of the LPs were stuffed into the rack in the corner, and -- for shame! -- in bins on the floor.)

[​IMG]

What d'ya think?

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Fantastic!

An excellent, intelligent use of space!

Just goes to show you that every listening room and situation is different! It pays to evaluate where you listen for storage as well as sonics!

Good show, Jeff! :)

3. JPartyka

Thanks, Gary!

The cool thing about building those shelves myself was that I could customize the height of each. You can barely make it out (my digital camera SUCKS out loud), but in the top right-hand corner in the first pic, you can see my blue Beatles Collection UK box set. I never had a good place for that before now ... It's about 14 inches high and doesn't fit in most ordinary record shelves.

And, the way it worked out height-wise, I have an extra little "compartment" down at the bottom where I can keep inner and outer sleeves, and other supplies. It was a very worthwhile project (slightly more taxing than I'd anticipated, but it still only took about three or four hours from the time I came home from Home Depot until it was complete).

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Atta boy, Mr. Partyka. I agree, a, very intelligent, classy use of space. Even if not for Lps, it would work for trinkets and photographs.

Is that Velvet Underground the Scorpio issue with the bananna-colored vinyl? ;) That issue sounded better than my crappy Polydoor/German reissue from 1990.

The cubicles are what I have stacked 2X2. Works great because the living room is all hard wood floors, table and the Acoustats have lots of wood accents.

5. JPartyka

Nah, unfortunately what you see there is the same Polydor/German reissue. Bought it in the early '90s, at a time when I mainly bought LPs for the purpose of hanging the sleeves on the wall! I haven't even bothered to listen to it in years; usually when I want to hear that album I reach for the MoFi CD.

Maybe I'll play it this weekend though, just for the heck of it ...

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Jeff, the shelves look great!

Todd

7. JPartyka

Thanks, Todd! Not as great as they'll look when they're FULL ... but I'm workin' on that. ;)

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Jeff, you did a real nice job on your shelf. Soon, I'm goning to have to make a larger shelf, as I'm running out fo space. what was your cost?

9. JPartyka

The cost came to $36 in materials from Home Depot, and a few hours of time. Well worth it ... Best of luck on your own project!

10. mazort

mazort New Member

For other cat lovers

As someone with three cats, I think your LP storage is a potential break-through. It's not that it's totally impossible for cats to gnaw or pee on albums in such an arrangement, but they're really going to have to work at it.

Mine would still be content with giving me a heart attack by lunging at my ultra-expensive cartridge playing a spinning record,
    anyway...

11. Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson New Member

Looks good Jeff. I have been thinking of doing something similar. I built my stereo components in the wall already but my Lp's are sitting on the floor staked against the wall. It makes sense too because the other side of the wall is the underside of a staircase- unused space.
    Brad

12. JPartyka

Re: For other cat lovers

I have three cats too ... but thankfully they've never gnawed at or soiled my LPs. They liked to smell them (especially when they've just been brought in), and to listen to them ... especially the two boy cats. They're big Everly Bros. and Simon & Garfunkel fans (something about those vocal harmonies makes 'em purr).

Thanks for the comments, Mazort & Brad ...

13. mazort

mazort New Member

Cats are individuals

One of my female cats is definitely into tubes, and loves Ceclilia Bartoli and Ella Fitzgerald. It's a good indicator for the program material or system when Aria stretches out on her back contentedly. She's not into anything loud and raucous - in that case, she tears around the room erratically, with her tail twitching in the air...

Muggie Buggie, the male, loves violins and vinyl. Unfortunately, he likes to mark them as his own...

No gnawers in the house right now.

They're all different, but I find cats and music are generally a good combination and they have their own tastes.

Thank you for your contribution to vinyl preservation and feline compatibility.

14. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Re: For other cat lovers

I don't listen to vinyl as much as I used to, but I remember a couple of times in the past where the music stopped abruptly and I looked over to see that one of the cats had stepped onto the record and stopped it from revolving.

Also, my first CD player had an eject button on the remote. The only good use I could find for it was to to freak the cats out from across the room by opening and closing the drawer quickly. If it's one thing cats don't like it's unexplainable movement.

-Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.