LP Sightings in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pasta, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pasta

pasta New Member Thread Starter

Watched American Beauty tonight, spotted Coltrane Jazz very clearly in the backgroud in two scenes. To boot, they were in the room of this kid who had a bunch of LP's on shelves in his room! Any other LP sightings on film???

2. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Many, many LPs in "High Fidelity"!!! ;)
    A few great albums like "Kind Of Blue" in "Runaway Bride"...
    A few more even greater albums in "Almost Famous"...

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

There's a scene in Cameron Crowe's Singles where Campbell Scott and Kyra Sedgwick are listening to some of his vinyl albums. Among the titles sprawled on the floor are London Calling, Quadrophenia, and Are You Experienced.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Speaking of Cameron Crowe - Almost Famous, the Tommy scene.
    And of course the Vanilla Sky - Freewheelin' Bob Dylan recreation, which blew my mind...

5. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

In the movie Indecent Proposal, the Robert Redford character, IIRC, spins a record on a VPI turntable with a linear tracking arm (Walker?) after the Demi Moore character agrees to dance with him.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sheesh - everyone took all my ideas! :laugh:

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I believe that it is in Play It Again Sam where Woody Allen tries to be real suave and cool in front of Diane Keaton and he proceeds to drag the tone arm across an LP, and then flings it across the room trying to put it back in the sleeve. :laugh:

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

When his sister leaves her younger brother his albums, one is "Pet Sounds" and one is Jimi Hendrix.

JEFF!

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I think it's a CD, not an Lp, we see Clint Eastwood playing in a scene at his pad in IN THE LINE OF FIRE....KIND OF BLUE, of course!:D

And of course don't forget the vinyl in PLAY MISTY FOR ME, wherein Clint(his first directorial gig)plays a Carmel CA jazz DJ and plays Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"....again, can't remember if we see actual covers, but I'm pretty sure we see him handling the vinyl....

:ed:

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Kris Kristofferson's "The Silver Tongued Devil And I" LP gives an oscar winning performance in Taxi Driver :cool:

11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

How about the movie, I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND. We get to see Meet the Beatles and Introducing the Beatles.

12. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

In 10, George Webber (Dudley Moore) tries to make love to Jenny Hanley (Bo Derek) who is aroused by Ravel's Bolero, only to be interrupted by the skipping record. He throws a pillow or something at the record player in frustration and the record skips through.

13. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

In the TV-movie "Helter Skelter" (the mid-70s original, don't know about last night's remake) two characters examine the White Album for possible explanations for ole Charlie's crimes. The producers got it right and had an Apple label pressing on camera!

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Rock-"Meet The Beatles"!...Nick Cage, a true life Beatlemaniac:thumbsup:

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Speaking of Woody, wasn't it in Hannah and Her Sisters where he spots Diane Wiest in the jazz section of a Manhattan record store and they give their relationship a second chance. What was the record she was looking at???

Peace-
    Norm

16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Well, that was my example! :laugh:

17. Ed Bishop

Anyone mention DINER yet? Remember there's a scene where Daniel Stern, I think, gets pissed off because his girlfriend(Ellen Barkin) misfiles a James Brown Lp, or something? Yikes! The guy's as obsessive as we are! :eek:

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

In the first Austin Powers movie, he takes a Byrds CD out of its jewelbox and tries to play it on a turntable. I think it was Younger Than Yesterday.

19. Captain Groovy

Well, this is TV, but on The Simpsons - the one where Homer has to find his soul mate (Johnny Cash guesting), Homer whips out a "Jim Nabors" record and a couple of other really lame LPs and then goes "Look at these albums, Jim Nabors, etc.,... and now look at Marge's - they all suck!"

The joke being, you thought he was naming Marge's albums FIRST - but they were his.

JEFF!

20. Captain Groovy

Oh, and in "Fletch," Chevy Chase ASKS for The Beatle's "White Album" when waking up in the records room, but never gets it...

JEFF!

21. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

22. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

How about "The Shawshank Redemption" when Andy plays "Marriage of Figaro: Duetto-Sul Aria" on a turntable across the prison PA system. Also, one of the prisoners listens to Hank Williams through headphones on a turntable in the library...

23. Ed Bishop

And THIS IS SPINAL TAP, the black album, heh...they reference their own album, which was in the stores when the movie came out!:D

24. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I was quite pleased to see King Crimson's Discipline prominently displayed on the racks in that movie.

25. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Oh yeah, and in Almost Famous, isn't Joni Mitchell's Blue one of the albums featured, even though it hadn't been released yet according to the timeline of the movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.