LP Sightings in movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pasta, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

"...ya gotta put the R&B with the R&B"

getting back to Cameron Crowe, do I recall correctly a scene in a mall record store in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where you can clearly see a few racks of David Bowie 's Low right next to Roxy Music 's Siren ? or am I mixing my memories again?

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Does a documentary count? Alan Zweig's VINYL probably holds the record viz-a-viz sheer numbers of LP's.

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

There's The Big Lebowski. The record is by a made up group, a sort of Parody of a Kraftwerk LP, i think.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Autobahn! :laugh:

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

In a similar vein, does anybody else amuse themselves by identifying the albums hanging on the walls of the VH1 Classic studio, when they cut to one of their VJs?? :confused: :rolleyes:

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...and Aimee Mann's in it:thumbsup:

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

and Flea :thumbsup:

(although he believes in "nossing")

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

All the time. :agree:

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I believe Mel Gibson spins a record in WHAT WOMEN WANT. I was hoping to identify the turntable but couldn't. Isn't there a Michell turntable in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE? I don't think it's actually used in the scene though.

10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Not only that, but if you remeber he receives the LP in the mail at his office, opens it up and is thrilled to have the original. Then he mentions how it sounds better than the CD. I have to believe that this was not in the script.

In Matchstick Men Cage's character is into LPs and we even see shots of a turntable.

In Ghost World the Steve Buscemi character is an avid collector of 78s. His room has records all over the place.

In the first Tomb Raider, Lady Croft places a record on a spiffy looking turntable before her workout on the bungies.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A movie called "Matchstick Men" had two scenes where a Tijuana Brass LP was playing on a turntable. On one, "The Lonely Bull" (with the tan A&M label), and the other, a white/silver reissue of their "Greatest Hits" album. Reportedly the music in the movie is "Tijuana Taxi" but, in the turntable photo, you can see it's at the end of track three (which is "South Of The Border").

[​IMG]

(Thanks to my pal Harry, aka "HGN2001", for the video capture...I grabbed this from a thread we had a few months ago.)

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Although, in this film he says he paid $600 for a mint original; they're expensive, for sure, but not THAT expensive!!! :laugh:

Evan

13. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Once I started hanging out here, I was pretty disappointed that they didn't feature a UK pressing...

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

How about Charlie Sheen in "Terminal Velocity". While investigating some girls apartment he checks out the Springsteen albums. I remember seeing "The River".

15. IIRC, in one of the first hotel room scenes in A Hard Day's Night the lads and Paul's grandad are sitting around, and someone grabs a copy of a Capitol/EMI George Shearing LP, maybe White Satin.

16. In the 2002, indie film The Slaughter Rule one of the main characters, Gideon 'Gid' Ferguson, played superbly by actor David Morse, has a whole schwack of album jackets on the wall of the seedy residence he lives in, including a Louvin Brothers LP.

17. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Cameron Crowe mentions, in the commentary, that "Blue" was the only album in that group that wasn't time accurate but he put it in anyway.

The spinning Decca label (Tommy) fade in/out is an incredible affect.

Great movie. I love the commentary track with Cameron and his mom on the long version "Untitled" DVD.

Tim

18. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

In Rock N' Roll High School,you see Riff Randle's LPs-Ramones(duh),Who's Next,Sticky Fingers,Highway 61....
    Also in Almost Famous,in the scene where he pulls out his sisters LPs,who else thought "Hey,that's my collection!" :D

19. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

In The Royal Tenenbaums, U.S. London mono pressing of the Rollings Stones' Between the Buttons. They play "She Smiled Sweetly."

Paul

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

"Penn & Teller Get Killed" directed by Arthur Penn ("Bonnie & Clyde," "The Miracle Worker").
    There's a scene where Penn takes out a banana album and plays "Femme Fatale."

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, but then he handles the 45's like so much trash. :shake:

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Rega P25 IIRC.

23. I was watching Clockwork Orange last night and one of the L.P.s that could easily be seen was the Beatles' The Magical Mystery Tour.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This probably doesn't count, but I was watching Indecent Proposal, and when Robert Redford brings Demi Moore to his mansion, he puts on a unidentified Jazz record. However, he plays it on a turntable the likes of which I have never seen before; it looks like a lacquer cutter! :D

Evan

25. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Evan,

I reported the same sighting in post #5. :D I think it's an old VPI TNT with the belt running through two (or three?) pulleys. The linear tracking tonearm could be a Walker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.