LP to CD burning software?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RDK, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Dither only has a significant effect on going from anywhere from 24-bit on down. If enabled, 16-bit files are indeed dithered everytime a mathmatical calculation is required! There is *almost* no way to escape dither with modern digital audio software.

2. Grant

I have 5.0 loaded up on my machine as well, but it's been a long time since I messed with the direct mode, so I forgot about the fact that you can "go back" by not saving changes. What this could mean is that SF is drawing 16-bit temp files, or saves just the undo history of what you do in direct mode. If the former is the case, we may be dealing with dither again. If the latter is true, you may have more concernes than just dither! We may be talking about increased errors in your file as a result of changing it, then changing it again to put it back the way it was if you don't save the cahnges.

I tried asking the SF techs about what was going on, and I got no response.

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Interesting. The manual and help files say that Direct Mode is exactly the same as standard mode, except for the fact that no temporary file is created in Direct Mode. For either mode, however, there is an Undo function.

I can't find any mention of a change to 16 bit internal processing for Direct Mode. For that matter, I can't find any mention of the bit depth used for internal processing in standard mode, either. I see that the software supports 32 bit floating point files, but that's not the same thing. (Version 6.0 supports 64 bit floating point files, but that's still not the same as saying that the internal processing uses 64 bits.)

I did see the speed benchmark charts--whew. Version 6 looks to be about 60x faster than version 5. What did they do to get THAT kind of speed boost?! Most impressive, quoth Darth V.

Gardo

4. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Surely the Younglove technique doesn't "Astley-ize" the file?! The worst that it's ever done for me was to leave that "rough" sound on portions of a vocal where there was heavy crackle...the same sound that you get if you use a heavy declick setting.

What is SHOULDN'T do is leave Noise Reduction artifacts. I have never heard those scary, spooky NR artifacts (e.g. metallic, underwater or whooshing sounds) on a "Youngloved" file.

Still, I generally only use it as a last resort.

5. Grant

Hmmm, I get them, no matter how hard I try! Maybe I just have some *seriously* messed-up 45s!

6. trilogia

trilogia New Member

i came across this program called wave repair 32 the other day. i havent had the time to work with it much at all yet but it seems like it might be put together fairly well. tons of options on it from what i've seen so far. it can search for clicks and pops and actually take you to each indivudual one which is kind of nice, or you can do it all automatically of course. thats about as far as i've gotten with it but it seems like it might be a pretty good program for like 40 bucks i think. check it out at

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/wavrep.htm

7. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

That's the program I've been using for about three years or so. It was before Cool Edit had the plugins, so I just stuck with it. I remove most of the the pops and clicks manually with this editor. It's tedious, but you never remove music by accident that way. The program is written specifically to clean up files. The author is very receptive to suggestions and questions. Earlier this week he fixed a bug overnight in another one of his programs (Volume Balancer) when I pointed it out.

8. Grant

One question, does Wave repair work with 24 or 32-bit files? That is important to me. I cannot/will not use a program that does not have that option!

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Does this apply to the declicker, or to the other noise reduction modules?

I tend to declick small regions at a time, and if I'm careful, don't hear the difference. (That is to say, if I hear the difference I either go back an tweak the settings or decided whether the disturbance is better than the noise.)

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

That sounds intriguing, what is it?

11. Grant

No.

12. Grant

13. Albertporter

Albertporter New Member

The stand alone ART audio Di/0 at $121.00 is a tube based A to D converter that allows LP's to be fed to the hard drive of any computer. From there editing can be accomplished before burning to CD.

This product also allows guitars, keyboards and other human driven devices to be converted to digital for whatever purpose the user desires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.