LP warp question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnT, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member Thread Starter

I won an ebay auction a couple months ago for two LP's. They are both s/t, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66, one is mono and the other is stereo.

When I first got them, it was a busy day and I opened the package and found the contents stunk of mildew. Slid one out of it's jacket (no inner sleeve) and it actually had mold on it :eek:. Freaked out, I just wrapped it up and stuck em' on a shelf in the garage.

Stumbled upon them over the weekend and checked em' out a little more. First, I wiped the jackets down then checked out the mono LP. Hmmm, not as bad as my first impression. I did the disk doctor cleanup and whoa, this vinyl is looking good with minimal surface noise.

Did the same with the stereo LP and this is looking even better than the mono.

Let em' dry, then listen the mono Mais Que Nada. Not bad, the beefy vinyl lay flat and sounded good. Put the stereo LP on to hear the same song and it sounded much better. Crisper, plus the sound separation was nice (going from TT to a receiver to a computer). While it's spinning, I noticed a bit of a warp to it, not bad, but it is there.

Mais Que Nada (first song on outter edge) sounded really, really good. So my question is, what is the deal on warping? Is it always bad and should a LP be tossed if any exists or a minor warp OK?

Hey, is Lani Hall in a class by herself or what? Does anyone else even sound like her?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Minor warping without any damage is fine as long as you can track it. I'm afraid that you would hold any of the numerous experiments at bay until you certainly have a "wild ride" warp.

But it sounds like you can track it. Leave it.

I bought a mono Reprise "Strangers In The Night" by Frankie for next to nothin', and it was warped, and enough to have a "wild ride". I own a coal stove that can get as hot as 7-800 degrees. I literally re-shaped it by holding the record over a vent until it got soft (right before my hands were getting HOT and I brought it back to a semi-level surface without scortching it. It's not easy. Vinyl likes to go right back to the shape it was once in! Even warped!

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/roadhouse/warped.html

Be careful. The problem with THIS idea is, it creates a record that is warped sideways (instead of up and down, the pressing sidewinds, back and forth)

If it tracks, leave it.

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Sckott. I'm using a stock cartridge which is doing OK, at least to my ears. Guess I was just curious if others play or toss em' if their not perfectly flat.

Wish people would list the real condition of ebay items, but I guess that would take the fun out of it.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have a warped copy of Traffic's "ShootOut At The Fantasy Factory". It tracks, but it really lifts off! As long as you don't hear the damage (woosh....wooosh...) or see the vinyl's scortched, it's kosher.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I have found the only safe way to un-warp a record is to place it on a smooth hard surface, with a thin cardboard liner and lp sleeve, and place about 25 - 100 pounds of material on top of it for three to six months (increase the weight gradually the first week). This is to be done at room temperature, never in the cold. If there are no appreciable results after six months, don't count on saving it.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

If you want to hear a good version of this one, there was a Mobile Fidelity pressing of it. I bought it the moment I saw it, and I'm glad I did, as I never saw it again. It is very revealing, and I have yet to hear a CD version that sounds this good! The most recent Japanese CD is good (probably the best CD version thus far), but has some dropouts on it.

Lani's definitely in a class by herself--she has a small but loyal following. In addition to recording on all the Brasil '66 albums, she's had a solo career that spanned everything from L.A. pop to Latin to Brazilian. Can post some discography info if you are interested. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.