LP12 new to me!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Barr, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barr

Barr Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, I’m new to this forum and I have some questions about a new to me LP12, is a early model pre Valhalla and I would like to know what inexpensive upgrades you might suggest. It has a nice Acos Lustre gst 801 arm fitted with a Supex 900 Mc cartridge. I have a new set of Nivana springs and grommets on order. So any suggestions would be welcome. I’m hoping to be able to afford a Valhalla, maybe used so if you have used one could you let me know. I’m a expat living in California. I’m also ex British military, Royal Air Force radio fitter, so I’m pretty handy with a screwdriver, hammer and a multimeter. I love to build stuff
    Thanks
    Barry

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

As they haven't been made in years, used is all that's going to be available, unless you go to the aftermarket. Unfortunately, most sold in the States are going to be chipped for 50Hz, so it's going to be hard finding an early production 60Hz Valhalla. The easiest option would be to source a late model 50Hz Valhalla, and buy a newer motor with the 50Hz pulley, as your old motor will have the smaller diameter 60Hz pulley mounted.

jeff

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Get the Hercules power supply, which allows for both 33 and 45 and replaces the old Valhalla board. You will need a 50hz motor if your LP12 has the original 60hz motor.

spartree and keef285 like this.
  4. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

@Barr There are a number of cost effective upgrades for an older LP12. What is your budget?

5. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’ll second the Hercules recommendation, assuming you can’t stretch to a used Lingo 1. For other used parts, have a scan through LP12 Bits’ inventory. They usually have a pretty decent selection. I bought a really nice Ekos mk2 and a few other odds and ends from them.

Upgrade Your Hifi

keef285, TarnishedEars and enfield like this.
  6. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I'd skip the Valhalla if I were you and look for a Naim Armageddon power supply at the right price. You could change the arm, the Grace 707 was the classic combination with the LP12 and the Supex. The Naim Aro is a keeper too. Alternatively if you fancy something a bit different, you could try the Funk Firm Vector Link and K-drive modification. These are so good that Linn put their own spin on them with the Keel/Radikal modifications.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Only Valhalla you will get is used (traded in to a dealer). An alternative is third party solution such as the Hercules which sells for around £200 in the UK HERCULES II Linn LP12 NEW 33/45rpm CE WORLDWIDE 50/60Hz 110/230v Easy to Fit | eBay . There is a seperate box version for about double the price. Lots of other upgrades but they aren't cheap (though most 3rd party cheaper than Linn's own) such as the Sole subchassis Linn Sondek LP12 - Sole VIII sub-chassis . For similar money to the Hercules you can pick up the current Majik Power supply (second hand one on Ebay at around £200). Linn LP12 Majik Power Supply & Cross Brace (2009) (Ref 000602) | eBay

8. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I also have an LP12 which has been upgraded throughout the years. Power supply is one of the biggest upgrades you can do. Good luck and enjoy!

9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Used Lingo 1. Then re-cap it/have it recapped.

John likes this.
  10. Derek Acorah

Derek Acorah Active Member

Get it serviced by a reputable dealer.

John and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  11. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Besides the power supply upgrades, I think the Cirkus upgrade is a highly effective option. The bearing is something that should not be over looked, IMO.

audiofool likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If you can find the a phoenix power supply, those will drive a 60 Hz LP 12 as well. The phoenix with a Road-runner is the poor-mans Lingo IMO.

13. Barr

I’ve purchased a good chassis and inner platter with a new bearing along with a new cross member and a new motor with a refurbished Valhalla power supply. Oh, new springs and grommets. So I’m set for the moment, I just have to install it all and set it up. Should be a lot of enjoyment since I love to tinker!
    Barry

Randoms likes this.
  14. Barr

I’ve my LP12 up and going with a NAD amp and a Pair of linn speakers—-fabulous !!!

15. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Pleased that you are enjoying your records, an early LP12, especially given the love you have shown it remains a great way of listening to music.

As yours was an early LP12, the, subchassis, bearing housing, inner platter is a really good call and together with the Valhalla, better quality bolts, springs and locking nuts should give a very worthwhile sonic improvement for a reasonable outlay.

As I think you said your LP12 was pre-Nirvana, I would suggest that you keep all the old bits, so in future it could be returned to original spec. From a sonic and set up point of view, there is no reason to do that, but most of the early power supplies, switch, silver bolts and springs are long gone.

Hope the LP12 brings you as much musical pleasure as mine did over the years, if you want a sonic improvement in the future, the Lingo certainly brings that and ...
    I won't mention the financial rabbit hole of arms and cartridges!!

Happy listening.

16. mrlimbo

mrlimbo Active Member

I would also recommend the Hercules II , ive just upgraded mine from a pre Valhalla board and it's a great reasonable priced upgrade and I'm very envious of you Supex 900 cart I always wanted one for my Grace 707 !! Enjoy !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.