"LUCY" new film by Luc Besson (2014) starring Scarlett Johansson & Morgan Freeman

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dogpile, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You've already seen it? Was it a preview? It only opens next week in Germany.

2. No, it's Fantasy. At heart, it's about a hot girl in revealing clothes being granted magical powers. All it needs is a couple of elves and an enchanted sword - or given the modern setting, perhaps a Handgun of Destiny - to be complete.

Deesky likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And really, not revealing much at all. On a side note, I don't think she does many nude scenes at all which is fine.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Absolutely. I mean the movie opens with a line, ostensibly a scientific statement, which they manage to get totally and utterly wrong.

Johansson's voiceover asks: “Life was given to us a billion years ago...". Setting aside the religious undertones of life being 'given to us', the timeline is utterly wrong. If she means first life, then she's off by 2.8 billion years (ie, there is evidence of life going back 3.8 billion years). If she meant life of the first anatomically modern humans, then she's off by nearly 1 billion years - modern humans evolved some 150 to 200 thousand years ago.

Even a cursory google search would have been enough to prevent this gaffe, but of course Besson (like JJ Abrams) has no interest or understanding of science at all. In fact, this movie is actively anti-science.

5. Jeez it's a ****in movie. That was the premise in that movie's world.

If There were a rule that we'd have to believe the reality or accuracy of every story line or what cones out of the mouth of every actor or narrator in a film, there would be many many films that We'd never get to see. Many films that would never have been made.

It wasn't a documentary.

5th-beatle likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And it wasn't science fiction.

7. shokhead

But as you know, some on here can get bent about that stuff in a movie. That's why I've a few times that many must not enjoys very many movies which is to bad.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sure, I think it was a fantastic premise.

Eh, I can let it slide. I read a good dissertation on the web a week or two ago that pointed out: "if you doubt that you use ALL of your brain, note that if you get a gunshot wound anywhere in your head, you're pretty much going to be incapacitated." I get that, but I just see the movie as a very complex version of Charlie (aka Flowers for Algernon), but without the tragic ending.

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

So then all those silly wonderful science fiction movies from the fifties that I grew up with are not sci fi as well?

10. The Amazing Colossal Man. Bad science

chacha likes this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Religious? :confused: The movie was practically a puff-piece for darwinian evolutionary theory.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was certainly a puff-piece, but it has as much to do with real evolution theory as it does with neuroscience or even basic biology.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hey we get it, you think they shouldn't have built the movie around that old saw of misinformation. Okay okay. Others seem to be able to overlook that and enjoy the movie for what it was tailored to be: a summer actionfest.

I hope to see it soon.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And people wonder why Hollywood keeps making dumb movies...

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hey, I like intelligent movies, and dumb movies. My two favorite movies are Monsoon Wedding (brilliant, moving, smart) and The Fifth Element (dumb, entertaining as all hell).

Apparently you only like movies that are like documentaries in their accuracy and intent. Okay, that's fine, but why keep crapping all over a thread where some are enjoying the movie and talking about it happily? Your point was made pages back.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    5th-beatle and xdawg like this.
  16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's an action flick, with deeper overtones.

I didn't walk in expecting a scientific treatise, I went to see a ****ing movie.

I walked out extremely pleased - two hours well spent, on the edge of my seat the entire time.

5th-beatle and keef00 like this.
  17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes

18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Luc Besson deals in fantasy-oriented science fiction. Look at his other films, like The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec.

The fifth Element is probably as close as he comes to hard Sci-Fi, and it's still fanciful in the extreme.

It's unfair, and a bit tone deaf, to criticize a film for something it's not even trying to be.

It's closer to a Chinese gangster movie than, say, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

19. shokhead

Really? Edge of your seat?? Boy reading what people say is a bit eye opening as to different taste. I was on the edge of my seat to leave. These are the kind of movies I like but this just failed for me all around.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

One hour and 21 minutes actually ;)

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Smile ;)

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gimmie War Of The Colossal Beast and we have a double header! LOVE those 2 movies...

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  23. Michael

so I gathered you really, really hated the movie. you should have demanded a refund!

24. Michael

sure they were...

chacha likes this.
  25. Michael

I agree... once is enough as a negative burns longer than a positive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.