"LUCY" new film by Luc Besson (2014) starring Scarlett Johansson & Morgan Freeman

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dogpile, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I wouldn't do that. BTW, only hate, no really, really. 1-10 and 10 being great, I'd give it a 2-3.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Point taken...

3. shokhead

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Apparently you like to jump to unfounded conclusions.

I didn't realize that expressing an opinion was 'crapping' all over a thread. Perhaps if you brushed up on your critical thinking and reading comprehension skills, you would be able to argue my specific comments rather than making generalizations and personal insults. Calm down.

5. shokhead

Remember, only happy happy.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I did read your comments and was not making a personal insult so no need to insult me. But you are just repeating over and over that you did not like the premise, thought it was a dumb movie, etc. we get it. Expressing the same opinion over and over. It's enough in my opinion.

xdawg, keef00 and chacha like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, I guess "billion" was a nice round figure. But that's some LAZY writing! Hell, as you say the least they could have done was a google search. There's no excuse for that kind of lazy writing in these days of the web. I remember spending months in libraries researching ESP for a screenplay. Jesus. LAZY writer. I'm with you on this one. When you make an effort to put come real facts into your screenplay it helps sell that illusion of reality, which gives it greater weight all-around. Special effects teams spend months animating the glistening of hair on a wet dog so it looks real, but a writer can't even bother to look up the best estimate of when life began on earth for an introductory monologue? Jesus.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Atmospheric and Vidiot like this.
  8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

I don't get why people take movies so seriously, expect them to be 100% true-to-life. When are they gonna realize that it is just a movie?

Did anyone take movies 100% seriously in the past? During the vintage era of Hollywood?

No wonder many movies have been bombing lately. Too many people are caring way too much about whether or not a movie is 100% accurate, instead of just sitting back, enjoying, and realizing that it is just a movie.

xdawg and 5th-beatle like this.
  9. I believe everything was based on true science in the Shaggy Dog and Son of Flubber.

Lownote30, Vidiot and jsayers like this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Son of Flubber was wildly inaccurate but its predecessor,The Absent Minded Professor, was remarkable in its pinpoint accuracy of the science on display as history proves.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Sorry if I appeared to insult you, that was not my intent.

12. shokhead

Hell yes!

13. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

New designer drug for the club goers in Amsterdam. Ah the blue crystals. When your 40 percent (or was it 50? thank god for that percent meter) into your trip you can see lines in the air. And then things get really hairy.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No worries.

15. It's citizen kane with a drug bag inserted underneath the skin.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Under The Skin - a running theme for Scarlett.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there's a happy medium where it's sorta/kinda correct, and then they come up with a fictitious situation that's entertaining and has a decent plot and believable stories. The problem in the case of "we only use 10% of our brains" scenario is that if they had said, "most human beings are relatively stupid, but this drug will make you ten times as smart as Einstein," it wouldn't have been something they could sell on a movie poster.

Shawn, davenav and Deesky like this.
  18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Can't help but notice that the reviews and audience rating moved up in its second week. It's now rated fresh on Rotten Tomatos.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I thought the same thing.... perhaps we'll get an extended cut on DVD. ;)

brew ziggins likes this.
  20. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

You
    You know I did think it was really short- IMDB had it at 90 minutes, but I was only in theater for about hour and a half (including lots of trailers). It might even be slightly shorter than 81 minutes. Has anyone timed it? Not a movie I'd want to see again though.

21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm generally a fan of Luc Besson's work. I left the theatre feeling that this could have been a whole lot better, and yes, longer too. It had a definite thrown together feel. Also, as previously mentioned, the writing could have benefitted with tighter integration to known facts. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone but a hardcore Besson fan.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even though I've enjoyed a bunch of Luc Besson movies, I resisted seeing "Lucy" because it just looked dopey. However, the praise it got encouraged me to give it a shot.

Ugh.

Pseudo-intellectual claptrap + bad exposition + enormous plot holes + ridiculous fantasy notions + bad CG + boring action = Mazzy owes me $10! :laugh:

Deesky and Atmospheric like this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I read a review that said "We don't assume that Besson used more than 10% of his brain's capacity for writing the screenplay for this movie". But it also said that it's good fun with nice visuals. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on blu-ray.

Plan9 likes this.
  24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Maybe they were just rounding out all of earth's "life" with that number. The earth and some cells may have been around 4 billion years ago, but human life has only been around for a tiny fraction of even 1% of that time.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.