Luke's Stones SACD Sampler Review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't have the sampler. I am expecting a complete care package of all the releases though....

Luke phoned in the mix of "Satisfaction" to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing everything though. I'm sure it will all sound great!

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Luke:

I was just curious if you did a comparison of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses against Ludwig's Apogee UV22 Virgin remasters? Or perhaps he just used the copy of the tape of those tracks that was used for original Hot Rocks?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

It does list albums, and Get off of My Cloud claims to come from December's Children.

4. lukpac

I'll let you determine that for yourself soon enough...;)

I've never cared for the song that much, myself.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I'm wondering, BTW, if the sampler will end up accurately reflecting the actual releases...the answer is certainly "probably," but there might be surprises between now and then. Who knows?

-D

6. lukpac

I haven't compared them yet. They make mention in a few places of getting some tapes from the Stones, though, so I'd assume that's in reference to those two songs.

7. lukpac

Yes, that is true. I know when I e-mailed Bob Ludwig a month or two ago he said he was still working on things, but clearly the sampler was made by that point.

Time will tell, I guess. Like I've said, I think the thing is pretty good on the balance, but there are a couple of "why did they do that?" things as well.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I guess i'll have to make a CD-R copy of the mono "Satisfaction"...

9. lukpac

As is my understanding, it *should* be on the Singles Collection.

10. lukpac

Picture Time

Here are a few pictures of the package. Sorry for the quality - this digital camera sucks. At any rate...

...here's the folder everything comes in:

Attached Files:

11. lukpac

More Pics

And here's the spread with copies of some magazine articles, the press releases, some extra notes, glossy photos, and an ABKCO note pad.

Attached Files:

12. lukpac

More Pics

Here's the outside of the digipack.

Attached Files:

13. lukpac

Even More

The inside.

Attached Files:

14. lukpac

Finally

And, finally, the CD/SACD itself.

Hope you enjoyed these...

Attached Files:

• cd.jpg
      cd.jpg
      File size:
      52 KB
      Views:
  15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Abkco is claiming to have used the proper single mixes for the Singles Collection, so "Satisfaction" darn well better be mono on that set.

Luke, just out of curiosity were "You Got The Silver" and "Monkey Man" segued together or anything? I know the plan was to eliminate the silence between tracks on Let It Bleed.

16. lukpac

Nope. You Got The Silver goes away completely, and then Monkey Man comes in.

As I've been saying, I think we'll probably see the tracks together with little or no gaps, but NOT crossfaded.

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It would make good sense to use single/Mono mixes on the Singles set, and try and make as much material available in stereo for the LPs.

Was Jumping Jack Flash mono on the single? I seem to remember it was, even in the UK, but that's where a stereo version of JJF existed. The "singles" box!

All mixed up.

Nice camera efforts, Luke. Thanks!

18. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

19. lukpac

Re: Re: Luke's Stones SACD Sampler Review

20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Luke's Stones SACD Sampler Review

Just like the "Singles Box", No conscience in what they are doing. Fold this in, leave this wide, do this here, do that there. That's what drives me crazy...

Joe :realmad:

21. lukpac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Luke's Stones SACD Sampler Review

Yeah, it drives us all crazy...

But, like I said, at least such "tampering" is pretty minimal - this doesn't even come close to the old ABKCO CDs (thankfully).

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

After hearing "Wild Horses" in SACD at the NYC Hi-Fi Show, I am confident that there will much to like about these Stones releases.

We heard the song on very expensive equipment that tends to be a bit bright (plus I wasn't in the sweet spot) but the tracks should impress everyone on their own home equipment.

August 20th will be a date that lives in infamy.
    Pulp Fiction SE also comes out that day.

23. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Wild Horses on the Stones SACD sampler is very good. Sonically it's probably the best cut on the SACD.

24. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

David said:
    1] Digipaks 2] no liners 3] both mono and stereo versions NOT included on each disc 4] no related singles included 5] no outtakes or alternate versions. Hmmmm. I sure hope the sound kicks as that's gotta be the only reason to pay good money for this go-round of reissues.

Obviously Abco's motivation in choosing to release the CDs the way they have is to maximize dinero input. A truly inspired release campaign would have been to release CDs with the songs in the order in which they were recorded. Especially on the LPs up to "Aftermath," this would fill in a lot of gaps for both collectors and casual fans alike. There shouldn't be anything sacred about the contents of those early LPs as they were a hodgepodge from the git go. Any fans who have just GOT to have the songs on the CD the way they were on the original LPs have had plenty of time to buy them in that configuration. Maybe now the songs could be released in a more sensible sequence. But that'll never happen. So after we mortgage the farm and buy 'um all, including the hits collections, for those of us for whom logical sequencing is . . . well . . . logical, we'll have to burn our own copies and sequence the damn things properly. [Too bad we won't be able to include any unreleased stuff, though.]

25. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree with you more. I can't stand the "box set" mentality many CD collectors have adopted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.