Lulu - appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Saw Lulu live last week at a sold out show on the second leg of her UK tour and she was in incredible voice. My favourite period is the Muscle Shoals recordings she did (listening to New Routes as I type this), proving she has a great soul voice which got lost somewhat in the late sixties with the twee pop hits. Thankfully she's been back singing soul and blues for the past 10 years. Interested to know what other people think and what their favourite recordings are

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Lulu is great. I have most of her albums. What a voice. :righton:

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Porkpie

I haven't heard "Don't Take Love For Granted", what's that like? I have the Lulu album with that track on it and "I Could Never Miss You" (which is awesome) but I haven'gt heard this album and am surprised it's on two albums.

4. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

New Routes is a great album, but this tops the lot (classic 1966/67 Neil Diamond songwriting),

5. In my top ten favourite singles from the 60s - always puts me in a good mood when I hear it.

Best Wishes,
    David

6. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

If you have the 1981 album Lulu and you like it then you will really like the 1978 album Don't Take Love For Granted as well. They are very nice companions to each other. They share 3 tracks that are the same between them along with 7 unique tracks to each album. Hopefully one day some re-issue label will have the common sense to release them and maybe throw in the 1982 album Take Me To Your Heart Again as well. Then we can finally have all of Lulu's albums available on CD.

I highly recommend picking it up. You can find it on eBay quite regularly.

Porkpie and bluemooze like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I saw Lulu at Middlesbrough Town Hall a couple of weeks ago and she sounded and looked incredible. Unbelievable energy and voice at 67. I even got my original New Routes LP signed!

I didn't listen to Lulu for years, thinking of her being a great singer, but naff and showbiz. I picked up a cheap copy of her Love Loves To Love Lulu LP and was surprised how much I liked it and played it a lot. Best of Both Worlds is my favourite Lulu vocal. I have since got the Decca, Mickie Most & Atco 2cd sets and there is so much good stuff. I think she's one of the best singers the UK has ever produced. I must admit to being starstruck when she was singing The Man Who Sold The World and To Sir With Love only 4 or 5 feet away. A real privilege. Long Live Lulu!

8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

9. PopMusik

My favorites are all the Atco releases along with Heaven and Earth and The Stars.

Really you can't go wrong with any of Lulu's releases. Her voice is just so unique.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You're probably a bigger/more knowledgeable fan than I am; let me have a listen and I'll get back to you. :)

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I honestly thought that this was a thread for the Lou Reed/Metallica album. Now I feel like I showed up in a costume and it's a formal dinner party. :)

12. Porkpie

I love the Atco recordings and the new album, Making Life Rhyme. A Little Love In Your Heart is also pretty good. There's an album "in the vaults" (Where the Poor Boys Dance) which I hope sees the light of day eventually as the title track is amazing. I haven't heard Take Me To Your Heart Again, what sound does it have?

13. PopMusik

It is along the same lines as the 1981 album Lulu. More of that soft pop sound in the style of "I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do)".

Don't Take Love For Granted (1978) , Lulu (1981) and Take Me To Your Heart Again (1982) were all produced by Mark London and they all flow very nicely together.

14. PopMusik

Don't pass up Back on Track from 2004 either. That one is a rocker.

15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Big fan of her mid-'60s work. Here is Lulu performing "I Saw Him Standing There" on British TV in 1965. It sounds like a studio recording although I don't think the song has ever been released officially:

16. Porkpie

Got that one and was surprised to see a statement from her recently mentioning "Keep Talkin, I'm listenin" and saying it was from an album that never got released??

17. PopMusik

18. PopMusik

19. PopMusik

This one is SOOO cheesy, but I love it!

alexpop, gja586, mlew and 1 other person like this.
  20. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Me too. Not a whole lot of appreciation for that album to be found.

21. PopMusik

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with this...
    From the series of individual documentaries which made up Martin Scorsese
    Presents The Blues: Red, White & Blues
    , directed by Mike Figgis:

"Drown in My Own Tears" - Lulu and Jeff Beck, 2003.

23. Mr_TagoMago

Mr_TagoMago Well-Known Member

Oh Gawd I thought this was about that atrocious Metallica and Lou Reed collaboration lol.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  24. PopMusik

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Currently have the "Don't Take Love For Granted" album on the turntable. "Don't Take Love For Granted" and "I Could Never Miss You" are the first two songs on Side 1. Sounds great.

[​IMG]

JDeanB and PopMusik like this.