Lulu: Decade 1967-76 Boxed Set (2 November 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sordel, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just noticed a listing for this on Amazon.co.uk who have a limited edition signed exclusive print for the first five hundred to order. No tracklist as yet.

Throughout her career, Lulu has worked with some of the best in the business. In the space of ten exciting years, straddling the 60s and the 70s, her recordings were produced by the stellar list of Mickie Most, Arif Mardin, Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, Giorgio Moroder, Wes Farrell and David Bowie, with arrangements by the likes of John Paul Jones, Johnny Harris and Peter Knight. And the songs included early gems by the Bee Gees, Harry Nilsson, Neil Diamond, Randy Newman, and Elton John & Bernie Taupin, and classics from David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Lennon & McCartney and many more. The hits featured include "To Sir With Love" (a US # 1), "The Boat That I Row", "Love Loves To Love Love", "I'm A Tiger" (written by Ronnie Scott and Marty Wilde), "Boom Bang-A-Bang", "Oh Me Oh My (I'm A Fool For You Baby)", "The Man With The Golden Gun" (John Barry's theme for the Bond film), "The Man Who Sold The World" and "Watch That Man", and "Take Your Mama For A Ride". This annotated 5 CD media book is also extensively illustrated with many archive photos.

The price for five CDs is decent so run (don't walk) to the item page.

2. Sordel

Bump. If there's only one Lulu fan here s/he will be interested in this.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I wonder if they will do a vinyl counterpart at some point...

Liam Adams likes this.
  4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I'll be surprised if the tracklist and mastering of the first 2 CDs is any different from the "Complete Mickie Most" compilation from a few years ago. (Which sadly was not complete.)

5. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. smallworld

When did Lulu's recordings stop getting dedicated mono mixes? Lulu's Album (It's Lulu in the US) from 1969 has a mono edition but was it a fold? There are a few mono mixes from her first Mickie Most album that aren't available on CD: "Rattler", "Day Tripper", "To Love Somebody", and "Take Me In Your Arms and Love Me".

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What track did Giorgio Moroder produce?

8. smallworld

Porkpie likes this.
  9. tages

tages Senior Member

My mono UK “Lulu’s Album” doesn’t sound like a fold to me but I’m not really familiar with the stereo.

smallworld likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I think I have those on another compilation but never played them. Was pretty sure she hadn’t done a 70s disco tune with him!

11. smallworld

Are you thinking of the German language tracks Lulu recorded for Decca? I've never encountered the German language Atlantic tracks on CD.

12. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

What do they mean by "media book"? A CD sized book with the liner notes and disc jackets all assembled together?

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

14. smallworld

I haven't seen the packaging for the 5CD Decade, but I expect it will be akin to the Supremes 70s Albums sets, with the discs housed in pouches at the back of the book.

[​IMG]

15. smallworld

I don't expect the set will include these three tracks, first transmitted in 1972. The "Oh Me Oh My" recording is my favourite version of the song.

JDeanB and kunstwork like this.
  16. smallworld

"Resurrection Shuffle"

SamR likes this.
  17. smallworld

"Eli's Comin'"

Sordel likes this.
  18. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

Thank you for the explanation. I wish they would go back to making the booklets bigger. Not necessarily LP-sized, but large enough that I wouldn't wish one of the pouches contained a magnifying glass. :)

19. Sordel

Not a patch on the original. Nevertheless, fascinating that they chose to cover it at all ... and what did the promo director think it was about?

20. smallworld

Update on packaging:
    [​IMG]

21. Sordel

Thanks. That shows that for the most part the discs are arranged by original album which seems like the most sensible way to do it. The grey-faced disc there is a bit of mystery: the legible part of the title says “Atco Recordings” but New Routes & Melody Fair were also on Atco.

22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve got the Atco Sessions CD compilation which is the 2 albums on one disc and a second disc of outtakes and singles, so it looks like this set is a reissue of those 2 discs, Heaven & Earth, a late Decca singles compilation and a Eurovision disc (which IMO could have been left out and increased the overall quality of the music, might be a bit “revisionist” but those Euro songs are cheesy and without that disc the rest of the material represents her as a much more credible artist).

Sordel likes this.
  23. smallworld

A UK retailer has uploaded a tracklist for The Best of 1967-1975 LP.

1. To Sir With Love
    2. The Boat That I Row
    3. The Man Who Sold The World
    4. Let's Pretend
    5. Love Loves To Love Love
    6. Me, The Peaceful Heart
    7. Boy
    8. I'm A Tiger
    9. Boom Bang-A-Bang
    10. Oh Me Oh My (I'm A Fool For You Baby)
    11. Everybody's Got To Clap
    12. The Man With The Golden Gun
    13. Watch That Man
    14. Take Your Mama For A Ride

Cat no: DEMREC315
    Label: Demon Records

Lulu - The Best Of 1967 - 1975

Porkpie likes this.
  24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s pretty chronological except the Man Who Sold the World being track 3. That must be the first Best of comp of hers ever to not include Shout. Shame they felt compelled to include Boom Bang-A-Bang.

25. smallworld

The box set release date has been changed to November 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.