Lydia Lunch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I only have Queen of Siam and the Ternage Jesus And The Jerks CD. I should pick up more stuff.

2. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

3. ganma

ganma Senior Member Thread Starter

Worst and most annoying interviewer ever!

no.nine and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Her Collision Course/ Trust the Witch with Big Sexy Noise was my favorite release of 2013. It's a two-disc set with Collision Course being a live album recorded in Italy and Witch being a reissue of her second LP with BSN after it went OOP when the record label went bankrupt. It's Lydia at her most rockin' and also very accessible. If you enjoy her 13.13 period, this would most likely appeal to you. Retrovirus also put out a storming live LP but it's not easy to find. Should be interesting to see what transpires when Lydia and Retrovirus play Moscow in early 2014!

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

13.13 definitely needs to be put back into circulation with a nice sonic upgrade.

I agree with the OP about Shotgun Wedding. It's her masterpiece and maybe Rowland's also. Those two brought out the best in each other.

6. frozen-beach

You must have never heard of Nardwuar before then. That's his thing, and it can get some really good results, like how that interview shows how terrible of a person Lydia Lunch is. I will never understand what people see in her.

RomanZ and DDTM like this.
  7. ganma

ganma Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought she was pretty patient playing along with his game considering how obnoxious he was. If you don't like her, don't participate in this thread. Simple!

8. I can't watch this right now, but I know Nardwuar's schtick. All his interviews do is demonstrate what an irritating retard he is. If she snidely dismisses him here or kicks him in the crotch...well, good on Lydia.

BlueTrane likes this.
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed that Harry Crews one-off album she did with Kim Gordon. The band only lasted for three weeks and the LP was recorded at their last show to which Lydia says, "You are so f'-ing lucky" . It's a great, unheralded gem of an album and I wish she did more with that line-up.

Sternodox and ralphb like this.
  10. drasil

drasil Former Resident

jeez, I couldn't disagree more. I have an enormous amount of respect for the guy. his intention has always seemed to me to be to act like a child, naive and kind of obnoxious, and to use this to do a better job of revealing the true nature of a person than straight interview questions ever could. rarely does he ever deliberately antagonize the interviewee--he's hardly Stuttering John or something--but he's nevertheless occasionally treated terribly by people who seem to be completely unable to handle how unselfconscious and 'uncool' he is.

exactly how much of his over-the-top personality is constructed and how much of it is 'really him' is debatable, but it's hard to argue with the emotional impact of watching a bunch of 'hip kids' brutally mock a neurotic guy with bad breath while they destroy the present he brought for them, laughing in his face. (sonic youth, I love your music, but holy crow.)

it's also telling that nearly every one of his 'bad' interviewees ends up asking to be on his show again to publicly apologize.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    frozen-beach and DDTM like this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

This is Lydia's most recent release, "Taste Our Voodoo", a project with Phillippe Petit, which came out in late November:

Limited edition vinyl:

[​IMG]

Limited tin box CD:

[​IMG]

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  12. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Supposedly she has an album of acoustic blues recorded with Cypress Grove set for release in 2014. Cypress is the man behind the fabulous Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions tribute albums (another one due next year). They've been working on it off and on for awhile now and hopefully it will see the light of day in 2014. You never know with Lydia though, her plans change from day to day.

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I'm aware of that and have a couple of Petit's other projects. Is it an equal collaboration or is it mostly Petit with Lydia guesting on a few tracks? It's rather pricey and not easy to find which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet.

14. pghmusiclover

One of the reasons that Lydia's discography is such a disaster -- it's on a myriad of labels -- some that disappear without a trace... and it's hard to keep track of what she's releasing, when and where!

The acoustic blues album definitely sounds intriguing!

15. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

My take on the Nardwuar interview... Yep, he can be annoying. But what is personally disappointing to me in this video is how humorless she is shown to be. Look at Exene. She dealt with it much better. Yes, she looks uncomfortable, but in the end, she takes it in her stride. Lydia, on the other hand, reacts like a teenage goth girl would if you insulted Andrew Eldritch in front of her. You'd expect a person who prides herself on being unconventional and outside-of-society to be able to handle such situations differently. Nardwuar's interview with Henry Rollins was similarly revealing. Both Lydia and Henry reacted in the way my grandmother would in the same situation. And my grandmother is no 'alternative icon'. :D

Oh, well, I still like her music. Lydia's, that is, not my granny's. ;)

nightmoves likes this.
  16. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I hear you! It's a thankless task trying to keep up with all her projects, both new and old. Not only because of her label hopping - Lydia doesn't promote her music the way she could and should. She'll release something and then it's up to her fans to find the album. She's already done her part.

ralphb and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. Now that I disagree with. Nardwuar is nothing if not totally self-conscious, and it's reflected in everything he does. Stuttering John is actually a pretty good comparison, although Mr Serviette is so abrasive he hardly needs to ask particularly obnoxious questions. He's a particularly in-your-face example of this unfortunate corner of the alt/indie scene in Canada where it's considered cool to be "wacky" and "zany" and "clever-clever"; the Barenaked Ladies came out of it and had to tone down their "look at me, I'm zany!" schtick before they could get the time of day in the US. Anyway, while Hank and Lydia perhaps shouldn't've let Nardwuar get their goat, all his interviews reveal about their subjects is that some folks have a low tolerance for BS and being a straight man in an unwelcome skit.

ganma likes this.
  18. frozen-beach

I have every right to express my opinion in a thread about her as you do.

More often than not, people actually enjoy being interviewed by Nardwaur. Lydia Lunch is one of the few occurrences where it seems that the interviewee is completely too full of themselves to lighten up to partake. Also, if she really didn't want to partake in the interview, then she could have easily told him no and went upon her business. She didn't do that though. She acted like a complete tool.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    nightmoves and DDTM like this.
  19. Let's get back to the music, please. The OP intended this to be a music discussion, thanks.

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Her album with Cypress Grove is coming out in March. I don't know what label it's on yet but I do know they'll be a collector's edition released as well as the usual formats. I'll post updates when I get them.

ganma and pghmusiclover like this.
  21. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Her new website was just launched with her blessings. She must have seen my griping about how difficult it is keeping track of her releases. La Lunch finally enters the internet age!

http://www.lydia-lunch-official.com/

Frippwire and pghmusiclover like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

Great sounding tracks from that upcoming project:

http://vimeo.com/channels/333213

Jeff K likes this.
  23. pghmusiclover

I just discovered that Lydia does a few tracks on the Glitterhouse tribute albums The Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions, Volumes 1 and 2. Lydia's tracks are very much in the sound of her work with Cypress Grove. All around good stuff on these.

Volume 1, We Are Only Riders:

http://label.glitterhouse.com/releases.php?show=13

Volume 2, The Journey Is Long:

http://label.glitterhouse.com/releases.php?show=152

A third volume is to be released in March 2014, though I'm not sure if Lydia is a part of that one since a final track list has not yet been released.

24. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I've seen the tracklistings and I'm pretty sure Lydia's on it again. I'll try to hunt the listings down and post them here.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Here are the songs on the third JLP Sessions but subject to change.

Nobody's City - Iggy Pop and Nick Cave
    Kisses For My President - The Amber Lights with Debbie Harry
    Just Like A Mexican Love - Black Moth
    Weird Kid Blues - Julie Christensen
    Ain't My Problem, Baby - Slim Cessna's Auto Club
    Constant Limbo - Crippled Black Phoenix and Cypress Grove
    Into the Fire - Nick Cave and Debbie Harry
    Thunderhead - Kris Needs
    Desire By Blue River - Mark Lanegan and Betrand Cantat
    Kitty In a Moonlight - the Amber Lights
    Secret Fires - Ruby Throat
    Kisses For My President - Andrea Schroeder