Lydia Lunch

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Lydia and Richard Kern :yikes:

look for yourself.... (hint) gif from Right Side Of My Brain

eskaton likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

[​IMG]

Lydia Lunch and Cypress Grove previously unsettled the conventionally calm and respectful world of the cover song.

Lydia Lunch and Cypress Grove previously unsettled the conventionally calm and respectful world of the cover song with a number of fractured productions. As you might expect, the choice of songs on this collection is a disconcerting array of material ranging from the hugely popular to the wildly obscure; from Jon Bon Jovi to Nashville troubadour Aaron Lee Tasjan, Doors and many others.

Lydia Lunch is both a prodigious collaborator (Nick Cave, Sonic Youth, Rowland S. Howard et al) and remarkable interpreter of other people’s work. It may therefore come as a surprise to learn that “Under The Covers” is her first album to consist entirely of songs by other artists.

This album also marks her third collaborative effort with British guitarist Cypress Grove, building on the success of their previous albums, “A Fistful Of Desert Blues” and “Twin Horses”. Grove is also something of a serial collaborator, having worked with Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan and Jeffrey Lee Pierce, to name but a few.

Lunch and Grove have previously unsettled the conventionally calm and respectful world of the cover song with a number of fractured productions. These include a controversial take on The Eagles frequently reviled ’70s anthem “Hotel California”. Their version of the song so dramatically realigned the central narrative of the song that many listeners were forced to rethink their hostility towards the original composition. Lydia Lunch is a self-confessed contrarian who delights in reinterpreting the songs people (including herself) love to hate.

As you might expect, the choice of songs on this collection is a disconcerting array of material ranging from the hugely popular to the wildly obscure; from the bombast of hair rocker Jon Bon Jovi to the introspection of emerging Nashville troubadour Aaron Lee Tasjan. The roster also includes a harrowing reworking of Bobbie Gentry’s Southern Gothic classic “Ode To Billie Joe” – a thematically obscure tale of love, death, abortion and suicide.

In a typically oblique move, Lunch also decided to cover one of her own compositions. “Won’t Leave You Alone” is a song she co-wrote with James Johnston (Gallon Drunk/ PJ Harvey/ Bad Seeds). Here we see the song mutate from blues rock prophecy to haunting folk lament.

Whether it be original songs penned together or the masterful interpretation of classic material on “Under the Covers”, Lydia Lunch and Cypress Grove continue to delight with the warped beauty of their unconventional coupling.

TRACKING LIST
    1- Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobbie Gentry)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Bass, Keyboards
    Mick Cozens – Harmonica

2 – Breakdown
    (Tom Petty)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Bass
    Suzie Stapleton – Vocals

3 – A Thousand Miles Of Bad Road
    (Aaron Lee Tasjan)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Vocals

4 – Blaze Of Glory
    (John Bon Jovi)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars
    Mick Cozens – Guitars, Bass, Harmonica

5 – Red, White And Pink Slip Blues
    (Mark Stephen Jones/Bud Tower)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Bass, Vocals
    Suzie Stapleton – Vocals
    Danilo Menna – Drums

6 – Midnight Rider
    (Gregg Allman/Robert Payne)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Mick Cozens – Guitars
    Suzie Stapleton – Vocals

7 – The Spy
    (Jim Morrison)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars
    Mick Cozens – Guitars, Bass

8 – I Want You
    (Elvis Costello)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Vocals
    Mick Cozens – Guitars, Bass

9 – Won’t Leave You Alone
    (Lydia Lunch/James Johnston)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Vocals
    Mick Cozens – Harmonica

10 – Do It Again
    (Walter Becker/Donald Fagen)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Mick Cozens – Guitars, Keyboards, Harmonica

11 – Low
    (David Lowery/Johnny Hickman/Davey Faragher)
    Lydia Lunch – Vocals
    Cypress Grove – Guitars, Keyboard, Bass
    Mick Cozens – Guitars
    Suzie Stapleton – Vocal

Under The Covers Limited Vinyl (PREORDER out in June) – Rustblade

That sure is an intriguing batch of tunes!

3. pghmusiclover

No other Lydia fans intrigued by the upcoming covers album and hearing her perform songs by Steely Dan, Tom Petty or Bon Jovi?! I am also curious to hear her take on "Ode To Billie Joe"!

I hate to start another thread for Lydia's new album, but it just seems so interesting! Maybe when there is some music available on Youtube, I'll start a separate thread.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    royzak2000 likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I would've been interested if it was being released on CD.

5. pghmusiclover and LandHorses like this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The Uncensored/Oral Fixation is the only Lydia disc I own, always had a soft spot for the 38'11 Oral Fixation.
    Ode to Billy Joe alone means I have to get the new one.

7. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

the real question is do you have her film "fingered"

8. LandHorses

I'm very intrigued with her covering Elvis Costello's "I Want You."

pghmusiclover likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

10. pghmusiclover

11. pghmusiclover

12. pghmusiclover

13. pghmusiclover

Lydia is going to be in Pittsburgh in July -- I can't decide whether I should go or not! I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little scared LOL

14. pghmusiclover

15. LandHorses

Unless you're hesitant of punk rick type concerts, nothing to be scared of. I've seen here before, and she's great live.

16. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I think is one of the coolest songs ever, and I think Lydia is cool as hell and she takes no BS - a role model for women, especially these days. Some people despise her, but hey - most times that means you're doing something right!

17. pghmusiclover

18. pghmusiclover

New project on Rustblade (it's nice to see Lydia have a stable label situation for a change!).

Lydia Lunch has never concealed her influence for a certain kind of literature. With Marchesa she pays homage to the writing and stories of the Marquis De Sade who has always been a great inspiration for her. With this album Lydia transports us into a world of sadism, perversion and pleasure.

Accompanying her in this literary voyage there is a background of dissonant sounds, distorted orchestration and ambient noises composed by Stefano Rossello (Bahntier, Ketvector) and by Lunch herself.A sensual and perverse homage to sadism, spirituality and fulfilment.

It is certainly one of Lydia Lunch’s most complete and shocking works. An absolute must!

[​IMG]

A1 Cruelty
    A2 Voluptuous Machines
    A3 Poor Pathetic Creatures
    A4 Polyphony
    A5 Nature Herself

B1 Defiant Existence
    B2 Encyclopedia of Disaster
    B3 Cursed Folly
    B4 Predator

ganma likes this.
  19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I really loved her work and was very excited when 13.13 came to play Maxwell's. I was doing sound that night. When she came into the club she quickly figured out who I was and marched up to me with outstretched hand, "Hello, are you the sound man?" she enquired. I nodded and replied, "Yes I am. My name is Guy," as she gave me a firm handshake. "I'm pleased to meet you, my name is Lydia." She continued to be very direct and business-like about the entire enterprise and I remember the soundcheck being quick and simple. She knew what she was looking for and was happy with the best that I could offer given Maxwell's six-channel board (one channel broken, one for the DJ mixer).

Sternodox, fldveloce and ganma like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

Rustblade recently reissued the 13.13 album on vinyl:

13.13 Limited Vinyl – Rustblade

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.