Lyle Lovett fans ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeadPhishBlues, Nov 17, 2018.

1. DeadPhishBlues

DeadPhishBlues I just got back from Kill Devil Falls Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Got Lyle ? What’s your favorite album from this Texan musical treasure?
    I tend to love “ Step Inside This House “ and “ Road to Ensenada”, but they’re all so good.

2. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

If I Had A Boat. The only song I know.

bumbletort likes this.
  3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Van Zandt, Clark, Earle, Emmylou yes. Lyle no.

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

The first two. I also like Step Inside This House. This Old Porch and Closing Time are my favorite songs.

frightwigwam and davers like this.
  5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

6. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Pontiac and Joshua,Judges,Ruth are both 5 stars. He started getting a little spotty afterwards most likely due to his unrequited love for America’s sweetheart.

Rockford & Roll, sloaches and Geee! like this.
  7. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Mr. Lovett has consistently delivered through out his career. I find it almost something of misnomer that he was identified with "country" music at the outset of his career given his artistic trajectory. I have to believe is that he signed to Mike Curb's Curb records. I do have a tendency to fall back on his earlier work, but when I have listened to his more recent music I do enjoy it. For me the dynamic period is the Large Band era. I've also enjoyed his forays into acting. Check him out in 1994's Ready to Wear. In the meantime, Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. Dead Phish! Thanks for the reminder of this great artist

stefane, Greenalishi, Davmoco and 2 others like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd say I'm a casual fan. I have his first two albums and have been meaning to get more but I just haven't got around to it. I'd like to see him live but missed his last tour in my area.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Like his music quite a bit.

Saw him live with The Large Band -- probably in early 90's.

Enjoyed it, though I recall he tried a bit too hard to be funny with his banter.

I much like "If I Had a Boat"... and I really love :love: "God Will"

levi likes this.
  10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I Listened to him quite a bit in the 90s.

Pontiac
    Large Band
    Joshua Judges Ruth
    Road To Enseneda
    Step Inside This House

11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Never disappointed with his releases. Can we get a new one sometime soon?!

12. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Big fan of Step Inside This House, the album and the song.

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Seen him twice live. Once with the Large Band and once by himself with Guy Clark, John Hiatt and Joe Ely. They were all sitting in chairs and taking turns singing songs.

14. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Lovett has a stage presence like no other. During a show in the late '90s someone in the audience shouted the final words to a song just before Lovett was to deliver them. Without missing a (literal) beat, he and the band continued with the outro as if the intrusion was planned.

I, too, am hoping for something new.

15. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I was there! Joe Ely's 60th birthday at the Paramount Theater. Wonderful.

I've seen LL at least 10 times. Every time was fantastic and I never thought he tried too hard to be funny. He doesn't have to, he could be a stand-up comedian.

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yep, that was it! The other time was at a Michael Martin Murphey's Westfest.

17. One of my favorites whom I have seen many times (only eclipsed by Phish and Tom Russell). I am a sucker for his quiet songs of sadness & regret.

1. The Road to Ensenada - it was the soundtrack to my 1st road trips to SoCal & through rural Texas. Besides the nostalgia, it is such a remarkable series of heartfelt songs: "It Ought to be Easier", "Christmas Morning", "The Road to Ensenada", Private Conversations"...oh my gosh! Stellar! ...and the best hidden track ever in "The Girl in the Corner"

2. Joshua Judges Ruth - is a close runner up. Recording perfection. "You've Been So Good Up to Now" & "North Dakota" are amazing.

3. Pontiac - "Pontiac" is the only song ever which I would play on repeat 10x over. It's also the song which has eluded me live.

4. Step Inside This House - This is Texas

5. My Baby Don't Tolerate - I thought 5 years was a long wait for this album, little did I know it would increase...

6. Lyle Lovett and His Large Band - I recall this being very popular for non-Americana types. I don't include it among his best though.

7. Live in Texas - is a very suitable live offering.

8. I Love Everybody - Very happy Lyle, and I hate to admit, I dig downer-Lyle more. It does have "Penguins" though.

9. It's Not Big, It's Large - nice performance and recording SQ, but lacking the quality songwriting. It is hear that I heard, perhaps, that LL has run out of things to say...no crime in that. I believe that is why he hasn't recorded in so long.

Natural Forces / Release Me / Lyle Lovett / Dr. T and the Women don't do much for me.

saturdayboy, stefane, Davmoco and 7 others like this.
  18. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I have only had the privilege of seeing him once though I have been a fan since the early 90s. Like others, the first two are large favorites though Joshua Judges Ruth is right up there (had to pay a pretty penny to get that on vinyl). My Baby Don’t Tolerate is decent, though I really love In My Own Mind both for the music and the wonderful lyrics. As my mom used to say, you don’t just like it, you Lyle Lovett. We could be corny on occasion.

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great song and cover

saturdayboy, Geee! and Dan C like this.
  20. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

God Will is hilarious. :agree:

I think Lyle and his Large Band is my favorite. Great voice and lyrics.

john lennonist likes this.
  21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

He’s brilliant. “Pontiac” is a near perfect album.

Also, this song is one of the most heartbreaking things ever. Gut punch in the feels every time. Ouch.

dan c

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. How did I forget that album! It's a nice one, yes, a terrific compilation of songs.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  23. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

...maybe a holiday album? :hide:

24. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I can't think of a songwriter that is better. Maybe Paul Simon, maybe Leonard Cohen. But maybe Lyle is the best.
    I've seen him maybe 5 times.
    Joshua Judges Ruth and The Road to Ensenada are favorites.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is my favorite, followed by Pontiac.