Lyrics you misunderstood as a kid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 28, 2009.

1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

When I was around 7 or 8, I'd hear The Beach Boys' "Fun, Fun, Fun" on the radio ("...'till her daddy takes her T-Bird away) and having no idea that a T-Bird was a car, I'd wonder why the girl's father would take her pet bird away as a punishment!

I always imagined it being a parrot in particular because those are really cool birds and I'd be disapointed if someone took one away from me!

DooDee, Jimmy B., TommyTremor and 6 others like this.
  2. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

In 'Don't Be Cruel' I thought Elvis sang "please, did I forget my pants?". It does sound like that with the extra sylables he adds to "please lets forget the past". I was nine and had that occasional pantsless dream.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

That's great- I'll never be able to hear the song the same again now. :)

moodyxadi likes this.
  4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

One of my first 45s was Dusty Springfield's You Don't Have to Say You Love Me. Even though it didn't make any sense, I thought the first two lines in the chorus were:

You don't have to say you love me
    Just because of him

I found out years later she was singing:

You don't have to say you love me
    Just be close at hand

JDeanB and goodiesguy like this.
  5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I never had a problem with this lyric. But I've heard from so many friends who had, I'm sure it belongs in this thread.
    "You and me and Leslie" from the Rascals 'Groovin'.
    When it is in reality, 'You and me endlessly'.

SCSpinner, JDeanB, musicarus and 4 others like this.
  6. sugarplumfairy

sugarplumfairy New Member

not as a kid, but Neil Young's "For The Turnstiles," I always thought it said "All the great explorers are now in granite lake," instead of "laid." I still think my interpretation of it is a better lyric.

EndOfTheRainbow, JDeanB and Rich C like this.
  7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

When I was very young I used to hear The Eagles' "Lyin' Eyes" as "Hawaiian Eyes". Made perfect sense to me because I thought Hawaiian women were beautiful (still do).

JDeanB and JonnyKidd like this.
  8. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Elton John's "All the Young Girls Love Alice" and "Sweet Painted Lady." Took a few years to figure those out.

In the end, I learned quite a bit about life from Elton and Bernie's songs.

Alan2, Saint Johnny and musicarus like this.
  9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Of course, I misunderstood the "Revved up like a deuce..." lyric in Blinded by the Light.

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The Beatles song "We Can Work It out" used to confuse me, I always heard something like: While you see it your way, you could be right or right or wrong". I still don't know what Paul is singing to this day!

With The Doors "Soul Kitchen", I always thought Jim was singing "learn to forgive and then learn to forget".

Or Hendrix singing "Scuse me while I kiss this guy" in Purple Haze. It didn't seem weird to me at all.

There were a bunch of Monkees songs where used to hear them wrong too, but I don't recall which ones. I think 'Through The Looking Glass" used to throw me.

HPW and SoundDoctor like this.
  11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I hear lake myself.......

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Misheard rather than misunderstood, but it's humorous enough for inclusion:
    Gunhill Road's "Back When My Hair Was Short"
    I thought the line "Hid Playboy 'neath my bed" was: "If Playboy needs my bed."

13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

When I first starting listening to the Beatles back in the mid 1990s, I always thought that in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" Lennon was saying "the girl with colitis goes by" instead of "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes." I use to think poor gal .....

Morton LaBongo and Rufus McDufus like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

When I first starting listening to the Beatles back in the mid 1990s, I always thought that in "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" Lennon was saying "the girl with colitis goes by" instead of "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes." I use to think poor gal .....

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

16. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

Creedence: "There's a bathroom on the right"
    Lay Down Sally: "Way Down south".

actually, these were requests written on napkins when i was playing the steak house circuit. remember those days? Victoria Station and that kinda thing....

SoundDoctor likes this.
  17. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

OMG. 35 years later, after hearing the Galactic Cowboys cover of Junior's Farm, I realized what Paul was saying, even though I had been slurring the words together without knowing what they were!

"Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go - Down to Junior's Farm WHEN I WANT TO LAY LOW..."

D'0h!

I always sang: "when ah wunna-la-low'

18. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I thought The Beatles were singing "can't Bobby love" instead of "can't buy me love"

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  19. sugarplumfairy

sugarplumfairy New Member

it is laid though, which i don't think is as poetic. I always thought "granite lake" was an amazing metaphor for the dead.

JDeanB likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So did Manfred Mann! :D

Saint Johnny likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I always thought it was "right on and lay low" - doesn't make sense, but that's what it sounds like!

To this day I have no friggin' clue what he sings after that: "whole life, half life, go let's go"???

22. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

Heard a kid asking in the record department of 2 guys departent store for the song-I'm not Joe Pepitone -Instead of -I'm not your steppin stone....

23. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I think it's "Low life, High life"...

I always heard "down to junior's farm and a-rollin' on" :sigh:

MikaelaArsenault and musicarus like this.
  24. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Layla came on the radio the other day and my 16 year old son asked if Layla was a real person. Before I could answer, my 11 year old piped in Layla? I thought he was singing "Gay Love" ...lucky I didn't have to explain "you got me on my knees."

GillyT, moodyxadi, JDeanB and 7 others like this.
  25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

:biglaugh: