Lyrics you misunderstood as a kid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 28, 2009.

1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I still think it sounds like Michael Jackson is singing "The chair is not my son".

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

As an 8 year old I was confused about what Nikki was doing with her magazine.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Small Faces - "Itchycoo Park"

For the last 30 years I had no idea what Steve Marriott was singing after "I feel inclined to blow my mind...."

Then just the other day while reading the notes to the All or Nothing DVD I ran across these lines:

"Get hung up, feed the ducks with a bun"

But of course!

geo50000 likes this.
  4. petehepple

petehepple Forum Resident

Gladys Knight - Licence to Kill

The percussion in the chorus (some sort of shaker/wooden block/click combo) still makes it sound to me like she's boasting about her licence to kilt

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If this wasn't mentioned already, this is what I sometimes hear in Rush - 2112:

We all the priests,
    of the temples of Syrinx,
    All the gimps of light,
    Aww everything I want

I cannot unhear it. No offense for the word "gimps". I'm pretty sure it is wrong somehow, but I won't google it.

6. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Starbuck's Moonlight Feels Right:

Actual lyrics: You say you came to Baltimore from Ole Miss, A class of '74 gold ring
    What I always heard: You say you came to Baltimore from Ole Miss, Class of '74, Go Rebs.... (which does make sense also)

NJB

7. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Cutting Crew - I Just Died in your arms

As a kid from Germany I didn't know the meaning of any English word so I always heard something funny...

Actual lyrics: "must've been something you said"
    What I heard: "du must besoffen sein" - which is german and means something like "you have to be drunk" :)

Inner ear likes this.
  8. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

I thought Steely Dan was singing "are you really in the east" instead of "reeling in the years."

BuddhaBob likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I like your version much better! :)

liammuc likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

Diller Night would be way more terrifying than a Thriller night!

DigitalPiracy likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

Perfect! That is now the lyric I'm going to sing every time I sing along to that song. :)

12. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

When I first bought Deep Purple's "Machine Head" and heard "Space Truckin'" for the first time I though it was about a girl.
    For years I heard them singing "We danced around with boring Alice" (and I know I am not the only one).
    It was until many years later when I joined a Deep Purple forum that I found out that they sing "We danced around with BOREALIS" which is something different.
    (However, sometime the word was actually printed with the lyrics as 'borealice'....)

Well, it was not as bad as when I listened to Hendrix as a kid: "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy."

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  13. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

K D Lang: Constant Craving
    "Arsholes to the truth"

14. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I think he actually does say "diller" during the song...

So let me hold you tight and share a killer, diller, chiller
    Thriller here tonight

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Steppenwolf's "The Pusher"....

OK, so the protagonist of the song says that if he were the president of this land, he'd declare Total War on The Pusher. He'd cut him if he stands and shoot him if he runs. Then, he'd kill him with his Bible! And if that weren't enough, what would he do? He'd proceed to raise The Pusher's rent. :edthumbs:

Oh well, at least that's what these young ears heard. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I always loved England Dan & John Ford Coley's 1976 hit I'd Really Love To See You Tonight. However, I could never make out the first line of the chorus... I sang it as 'I'm not talking about my linen', which I knew made no sense and couldn't possibly be right. It took me years (the internet era) to find out it's actually 'I'm not talking about movin' in'. It's actually perfectly obvious now I know!

I Love Music likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm with your first interpretation - I thought it was something like "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen" as well.

"I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in" does make sense as a lyric, but it's phrased in such an odd way that it's natural you - and I - wouldn't understand it. They sing it like "move inin" - the phrase doesn't fit the tune at all!

I Love Music likes this.
  18. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

My 3 year old daughter is a huge fan of "Ticket to Ride."

Her interpretation of the chorus? "He's got a chicken to ride..."

PhoffiFozz and goodiesguy like this.
  19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I thought The Tubes were singing "White puffs of dough!...white puffs of dough!..."

I was 7 or 8.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, it doesn't really fit, does it? I loved that song, but everytime I heard it I'd be trying to decipher that line!

21. Oatsdad

I've known it was "movin' in" for so long now that I can no longer remember what I originally thought the line was. I suspect I never quite figured out a possible line - I think I just interpreted it as unintelligible. Your "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen" makes more sense than my "I'm not talkin' 'bout gablinnin"! :laugh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

As a kid most Michael Jackson lyrics were 50% unintelligible to me. As an adult I feel pretty much the same way. Some words just sound like gibberish.

23. As I've said in other threads, I didn't think "The Lady Is a Tramp" made much sense when I was a kid. I wondered, "why is Frankie being so harsh on this free and easy-going woman, calling her a slut and all?" until my Dad clarified exactly what sense of "tramp" was intended - ie, the older sense of a free-spirited adventurer type.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Wow. So it's not "talkin' 'bout the linen".

25. Oatsdad

What, you mean "jmon" and "atcha ooh" aren't valid English phrases??? :eek:

Lost In The Flood likes this.