M. Hall Cruise Control to VPI Scout

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by d.r.cook, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member Thread Starter

After confirming that the Music Hall cruise control WILL work on a VPI scout, I'm having trouble getting my new c.c. unit hooked up . . .

i've seen in several places where guys are using this unit effectively with the scout, and the hook-up SEEMS super-easy--BUT i'm missing something basic.

from a thread in 2007 at vinyl asylum, Leland from Music Hall is quoted saying, basically, connect the AC cable to the scout, set the belt to 45rpm, and go.

what i don't get: IF you use the provided AC cable to plug into the scout's motor, and the other end comes back to the cruise control (the 16V/3w OUTPUT female), that leaves nothing hooked up to a source of power. (your manual says the extra cable with non-AC females at both ends isn't needed for table w/o wall wart . . .) and the only place to run power into the scout motor is what's connecting to the cruise control.

the manual specifically says the extra non-AC cable provided with the Cruise Control is for use ONLY with tables using a wall wart (16V motor tables, such as M. Hall, rega, etc.)

???????what am i missing!?

2. mace

mace Forum Resident

You plug the cable from the Scout motor, you will have to remove the ground lug, into the CC , then use the wall wart that came with the CC into the wall outlet. Leave the Scout motor in the on position, and power off with the CC.

3. d.r.cook

OK, thanks, Mace, for your timely reply . . . i'm a little bleary, so i'll get back at it w/your input in the morning.

4. Don't have the VPI table, but have been using the Cruise Control on my P25 for over a year with rock-solid results! Hope you also have the same excellent results!

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

The CC powers from a wall wart. Just plug the table into the CC, and power the CC with the included wall wart.

6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

From the Music Hall page the cruise control 2.0 has a spec that says 3W power consumption max.
    I thought the Scout motor drew more than 3 watts.

7. d.r.cook

All set. Thanks!

McLover likes this.
  8. d.r.cook

WELL . . . my "research" (for better/worse) was not too reliable. altering working ok for a few days, the table began to drag quite severely, even tho the Cruise Control was reading proper speed.

I took it out of the loop, and the table (thank goodness!) went back to working fine! (at this juncture, i should be more technically savvy, but--another story).

Now, my concern is the condition of the "nearly new" Cruise Control.

TWO QUESTIONS--

I do have a friend who has a Music Hall table (entry to mid-level, I think). Can I be reasonably sure it won't risk harm to his table to TEST this unit using his table?

And #2: Is there some other way to check out the functionality of the Cruise Control?

Any help/advice will be much appreciated. I want to sell the unit, but the LAST thing I want to do is pawn off a faulty unit. I'll eat it before I do that.

thanks.

9. Wanted to share my experience with the Cruise Control in case it is of some help. I use mine with a modified Rega P25, so I can't speak directly to the questions above---but there may be something to be learned here. When I first bought my Cruise Control, it would sometimes act just as you describe above. I was about to send it back as a defective unit, but plugged it into a different outlet on a separate circuit
    and it has functioned----solid as a rock----ever since. This includes a move to a different dwelling------works great here too. It has been connected for over 2&1/2 years without a hint of a problem other than the start-up issue I described.

10. d.r.cook

Ok, thanks. Good to know.

11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

As I recall mine was a bit odd out of the gates. I got a counter rotation a few times, then it settled in and when I check it it is spot on.

d.r.cook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.