M&K---Ever hear of Them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doctor Fine, Jul 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain" Thread Starter

I admit it.
    I really dig this hobby and the history that got us to where we are today fascinates me.
    Couple years back I practically stole a pair of M&K micro subs for my desktop nearfield setup.
    One look at what they offered and I jumped at the chance to add them at what seemed an unreal low price (I think it was like $500 for a brand new pair, regularly over a grand, very high build quality...).

They continue to amaze me as micro subs that go deep into the 20s.
    An 8 inch driver that runs tight and subterranean deep these make my S3/5s a complete package.

No kidding---my control room can not develop much bass below 35hZ as it is only a 12X12 cubicle.
    But over at the OTHER end of the house dishes rattle as the longest waves of sub 30 length finally get to stretch their legs and my wife starts complaining .

So I looked them up to see what's up with the brand---I have been hearing about since the 70s.
    Seen more than a few high end recording studios using their larger monitors.
    Steely Dan was the first to embrace their products!

Seems to me these guys INVENTED a ton of stuff we all take for granted:
    Self powered subwoofers.
    Sub-Sat designs---they were the first apparently.
    The very CONCEPT of subwoofers!

Just wondering if any of the Hoffmanites on here have hands on experience with M&K.
    Like I say---my experience is pretty limited.
    But what I know so far has impressed me a fair amount.
    And I loved being impressed by audio gear inventors.
    Anyone else knows anything to add about this legendary brand?

Kreisel Sound Timeline

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

They were a big deal in the late seventies, early eighties. They made a subwoofer they called 'Goliath' and someone, maybe Visonik, made a speaker they called David. They were one of the very first to push the 'small speaker and sub' setup.

33na3rd, chili555 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  3. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

They are now a Danish company called M&K Sound. I previously had a Sat/Sub system comprising their speakers and sub for a 5.1 system. Currently, I still have one of their subwoofer models, the X10 and still run my original M&K CS29 Tripole surround speakers. Always was a great brand and still is.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Not if they weren't doing it before 1959.

[​IMG]

JohnO and PhxJohn like this.
  5. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Around 1978 i had m+k s1a satellites with goliath sub.....great stuff...needed an amp with big grunt though :)

6. Glmoneydawg

They also did some pretty serious recordings...under the name M+K Real Time recording i believe.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  7. Doctor Fine

That doesn't look like a Sub/sat system.
    It seems to embrace early three channel which was an alternative to stereo.

8. Doctor Fine

Yeah.
    Never heard these recordings.
    Anybody heard them?

9. Doctor Fine

According to their site M&K produced the entire David plus Goliath setup.
    Both the speakers AND the sub.
    Came out in 1976.
    I remember looking at it and wondering why it was designed.
    Looked strange.
    Where did the two "boxes" disappear to?

Then a few year later in the 80s and 90s there were hundreds of little satellites with big sub boxes next to them.
    Who knew what was coming?

10. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

They made some killer subwoofers in the 90's too.
    I had one of their lesser expensive models, a V125 if I remember right.
    Excellent subwoofer.

11. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

Great sound. Around the time my father bought Allison 7 speakers the salesman demoed the MK S1 and Sub for us. They sounded amazing.

12. Glmoneydawg

The David was definitely a Visonic product....small metal cabinets

13. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have vinyl from M&K. Good stuff.

14. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

A buddy of mine had a M&K home theater setup back around 2005, the kinda entry-level small satellite/single sub deal. To this day, it's still the only good sounding "small" format 5.1 system I've heard.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  15. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I had an M&K mx200 dual 12'' push pull subwoofer a few years back. The concept seemed like a great idea but it did not work out well. An absolutely terrible sounding sub that did not blend in at all with my mains that went into the low 30hz area.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes. Famous for their subwoofers.

McLover likes this.
  17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'd pay a small fortune for a new pair of Allison Three's.

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

ADS made the 200 and 300 for car speakers (with brackets) and 2.1 setups. Great stuff.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

M&K, yes. Miller & Kreisel sound. They made superb direct to disc records, and excellent speakers, and made a great subwoofer in their time.

20. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

The original M&K was started by Jonas Miller and Ken Kreisel.

Miller and Kreisel were the proprietors of one of the first high end shops in LA on Wilshire Blvd. Going in there when I was younger, was always a special experience*. They then later moved to Santa Monica, on Santa Monica Blvd (there is a medical supply store in the same location today). That was where I first heard the Infiniti IRS.

Ken Kreisel is indeed credited with the first subwoofer in the 60's. At least according to this article.

Miller & Kreisel Loudspeaker Brand Revived

In 1973, Kreisel is the first to equip a recording studio with subwoofers for the recording of Steely Dan's "Prestel Logic".

At the Wilshire store, they had a full size grand piano and their cutting lathe for their direct to disk recordings.

The same article states that they went out of business mostly due to counterfeit products taking too big a chunk out of their business.

*I bought my first pair of Magnaplars there, MGIIc I believe. I think they cost about $700.

21. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

The first sub I bought was a BE-1V (the Bottom End) by M&K in the late 70s. It was one of their early subs. The salesman at the store didn't understand subs and gave me a great deal because they only had one in the store. He thought it was missing it's mate, and no one would buy just one. I didn't correct him.

I used it exclusively for synthesized bass from a dbx 100 Sub Harmonic Synthesizer. It worked quite well in this application.

22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have an M&K V-125 that I bought used around six years ago for $200. I first used it in my stereo system, and later moved it to my home theater where it still does duty today. A fine sounding sub!

23. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

I have two Kresiel DxD12012's stacked up front best subs I've heard still.

24. AvFan

AvFan Forum Resident

I've been using M&K speakers in my family room "theater" setup for a number of years. I run a 5.1 system with LCR 850s for the front, Surround 55 tri-poles for the two surrounds and a MX-70B 8" push-pull subwoofer. The five satellite speakers are driven by an ATI 2005 amp providing 300 watts into the 4ohm M&Ks. The neighbors know when we are watching a movie!

Audiofan1 likes this.
  25. AvFan

AvFan Forum Resident

I forgot to add, I use M&K's full range Bookshelf 75s in my garage system driven by a Pioneer SX-650. I attached a Logitech bluetooth device so I use my phone as the source. Makes for good tunes while woodworking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.