Mac Users: Anybody Try XLD for secure ripping?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunsetandgower

sunsetandgower Forum Resident

Question about xld - I have all of my CDs ripped in apple lossless, which was done via iTunes. I must did a test in ripping a song with xld in apple lossless and comparing them in audacity. The one I ripped with itunes is very blocky - it almost looks like it is over compressed via the loudness wars, even. Though the cd is from 1988. The version I did with xld seems to have much more in way of highs and lows, does not look blocky at all.

They both play fine, I can't hear a difference on my system. However, for the purpose of having a perfect digital backup of my CDs, is this something I should be concerned about?

I always heard that iTunes wasnt the greatest ripper, but I thought that was more in regards to error correction with hard to rip CDs, not in how it generally imports music.

2. George P

George P Way Down Now

There's a setting in itunes that will compress your files when you rip your CDs. You may want to check your settings.

3. sunsetandgower

My settings are apple lossless/automatic and I have the box checked for error correction. I don't see any other options regarding compression?

4. George P

George P Way Down Now

I think it's called sound check. Make sure it isn't enabled. My friend ran into a similar problem earlier this year.

5. sunsetandgower

I've double checked - I do not have sound check or sound enhancer selected. However I am concerned avoid how "bricky" the file looks in audacity compared to what I tested with xld. Really wish I could figure out what caused this.

I'm fine with the playback quality through apple tv and the iPod, but I am concerned about the archive I have of my cds if I am not getting the true exact copies that I thought I had. If I ever separate myself from iTunes/iPods in the future, this could be quite the issue.

6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I thought soundcheck was just for playback.

7. George P

George P Way Down Now

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

This is why you should only use a program that uses AccurateRip (like XLD) to verify all of your rips.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Sound Check is regarding playback levels only and has nothing to do with importing CDs.

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

They are speaking about burning an audio disc for playback not importing as far as I can see.

Audio CD
    This is the default option, the one you use for burning CDs that you can play in a CD player such as the one attached to your stereo or in your car.

If you’re burning a CD of music that iTunes plays as gapless—The Beatles’ Abbey Road, for example—first select all the tracks in the playlist, press Command-I to produce the Multiple Item Information window, click the Options tab, choose Yes from the Gapless Album pop-up menu, and click OK. Now click Burn Disc at the bottom of the iTunes window.

In the Burn Settings window that appears, ensure that Audio CD is selected and then choose None from the Gap Between Songs pop-up menu. When you do this, songs will play from one to the next without an extra gap. (If the songs include silence at the beginning and/or end, that silence will be maintained, as it’s part of the original track rather than something extra added in the form of a gap.)

Choose None to create a gapless CD.
    If you enable Use Sound Check, the disc will be burned with the Sound Check settings imposed by iTunes. (Sound Check attempts to balance the volume of the various tracks so that they’re more or less equal.)

11. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Quick question... I've been trying to get some info on this, but having a hard time understanding. If you rip a CD in "burst mode" in XLD, and it says "all tracks accurately ripped", does this mean you most likely have a bit perfect rip?

I tried Paranoia mode first, and for every CD, it seriously estimates taking ALL DAY to rip one CD. I then tried "secure XLD rip" and that works well, but still takes awhile. Burst mode is nice and fast, which is great, but am I sacrificing sound quality?

Not sure why I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one.

12. johnnypaddock

Actually after a bit more reading, I'm gathering that using a laptop isn't the best way to go, for ripping CD's... I'm re-building my desktop computer at the moment, so once that's done I should be all set.

I'm using a new Macbook Pro, just the base 13.3' model, and the secure and paranoid modes are absolutely, ridiculously slow. I can't imagine anyone dealing with this on a long-term basis.

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I think using a quality external drive for ripping is the way to go.

14. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

If your ripping software uses AccurateRip it shouldn't matter what type of drive you use, no?

15. johnnypaddock

I don't think it will necessarily bother the quality, but for some reason, if I try secure or paranoid modes, it will estimate 475 minutes to rip one disc! Obviously this would not work for me. I have a brand-new Macbook Pro, so I figured maybe, I don't know, 10 minutes would have been normal?

16. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

I have a new Macbook Pro with 8 GB of RAM. For a typical disc (45 minutes let's say) it can take anywhere between 25-40 minutes including verification. The higher the number of discreet tracks, the longer it takes no matter the length of the disc.

17. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Quick question for XLD enthusiasts that might be able to help:

I've ripped hundreds (if not thousands) of CD's via XLD, and I commonly save a cue sheet via File -> 'Save Cue Sheet As...' and select type 'For separated track files (XLD can't read)'. Thus I typically end up with FLAC files, a log and cue file (no BIN file) for all my rips - is there any way to now burn the FLAC files to an audio CD and make it bit-for-bit identical to the original (by using the cue file)?

Toast wants a BIN file, so generally I end up just dropping the FLAC files into Toast and eliminating the default 2-second pause between tracks. I also tried using Burn (which supposedly can handle cue files without bin?) but it frequently crashes (running 10.6.6 with latest version).

Suggestions or helpful hints appreciated - thanks!

18. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Try updating to the latest version and switching the ripper mode to 'XLD Secure Ripper'. It's both faster and more efficient than CDParanoia (default).

19. So are you using this for ripping to .flac or Apple Lossless? I've been contemplating reburning some of my stuff now that I have a "hi-fi" system. Last time I ripped them all was years ago when 300GB drives were considered big, so I ripped my stuff at 192k.

20. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Sweet! Thanks for this. I'll give it a try when I get home this evening.

21. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Yes! FLAC for my archives; VBR -2 MP3 files for mobile/iTunes use.

22. johnnypaddock

Wow... this post just made me realize something. I've been ripping a million CD's as well, and actually somehow forgot to save CUE sheets. Would I need to reinsert each disc to get CUE sheets for everything? Would I need to actually re-rip everything? (I don't see that happening, by the way)

To answer your question, I think it might be easier to get another burning program... I don't have much experience with my Mac yet, but it's also annoying to me that it can't burn CUE files without the BIN. I'm in the same boat. Just with many, many less CUE files of course. Dammit!

23. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

That sucks. I don't want to burn all my FLAC stuff, just some of it - and it would be nice to be bit-for-bit as opposed to letting Toast, etc. hijack pregap and whatever else.

24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Bumping this thread up because I have one question.

How do you set XLD to create a custom folder automatically when ripping a cd?
    Sorry, but I've forgotten how.
    Anyone?

25. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Create directories automatically by setting the directory in the "Format of filename." Using slashes creates a folder.

An example (customize to your preference): %A/%T/%n - %t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.