DCC Archive Mac Users: Burning Audio CDs...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pigmode, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigmode

pigmode Active Member Thread Starter

I'm a Mac user with a Windows machine, and I want to migrate back in a year. With Windows, I have EAC and a host of other software for the burning of great quality CDRs. What is available for Macs in this regard? What are the best ripping and burning apps out there?

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

If you decide to go with OSX (which is what I'm on now) you can use the built-in iTunes to both rip and burn. I've had no problems to date.

If you go with OS9, then get Jam.

Also, check out Peak for mastering software - I've been using it for years and it's a great product.

3. pigmode

Oh. I guess I'll be on X. I had the Beta. Don't new machines come with X? So there's no specialty software?

4. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Hi pig; yes, new macs come with OS X AND 9, both of which are still supported and in development. At some point they'll dump 9 altogether, but since imacs won't run X I think they'll have to keep supporting it for a while. It comes with itunes, but that's not really enough. You'll want something like Jam or Waveburner if your CD RW drive will support it.

5. Holy Zoo

Bzzz... wrong answer! Guess what I'm running OSX 10.1 on? :D

Honestly, I've used toast and jam for years, and iTunes is working completely fine on my imac under osx, and I haven't missed jam at all.

If you'd still like to use something else, there's a Toast beta for osx out already.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

6. Holy Zoo

Yes, X came installed on our new imac (got it about 3 months ago - it replaced a first generation imac.

The beta was unusuable, the 10.0 fcs was ok but really sluggish, and the new 10.1 is pretty darn nice.

Here's the link to Toast beta for OSX:
    http://www.roxio.com/toastbeta/

I've tried it, I still like iTunes better.

7. pigmode

I guess EAC is unique then. It's true that Windows is for tweakers. You can push the performance envelope in all categories.

8. Holy Zoo

I dunno... what do you want to tweak?

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

It just so happens that I work for Apple.

iTunes works fine, Toast is a great program as well. Some people like an application called "Disc Burner" too.

With those applications available, do you really need anything else?

10. pigmode

I heard iTunes is SoundJam, correct? Maybe it's hype, but EAC allows you to perform the most accurate rips possible.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My preferred combo is Astarte CD-Copy for ripping and Jam for burning. CD-Copy is the only program on the Mac that I know of that will properly save the pause data. It can/will put the pauses with the following track, unlike Toast Audio Extractor which puts them with the previous track.

Only problem is "Save As Audio Image" doesn't work quite right with Jam, so you have to save each track as a separate file and write down the pauses by hand. A pain, but it works...

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

The best CD burning software is Roxio's Toast Platinium. The final version is available in February or March.

You can do all with this... CD-R, DVD, MP3 etc

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...while I haven't seen it, somehow I think you won't have the same control over things as you do with Jam...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.