Mad Magazine. Who Loved It As A Kid? (Or An Adult)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Henry the Horse, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yeah....the one right next-door to Titus Oaks in Melville---a.k.a. the one where I coudl easily ride my bike to as it was right around the block!

And Re: the DVD ROM, I read one of the Amazon reviews and it stated that it did NOT contain the Flexi Audio.

So it's NOT such a Super Spectacular Day!

2. Geez, THAT must've been a mastering nightmare! Eight parallel grooves? Wonder what Our Host makes of it?!? :D

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

4. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Titus Oaks~! There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember it , and the bookstore well :)

5. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

I'm thinking of a different article but I just can't remember enough about it to find it, and my DVD-ROM set is on the other side of the world in storage somewhere. I mostly remember it because I actually used a diagram in it to follow the article's advice on stereo speaker placement :)

And the DVD set I have does include the early comic books, with all the Wally Wood and Will Elder and Harvey Kurtzman classics like Mickey Rodent!

I'd read a good amount of the older material already since I bought a lot of the Super Specials, so I was able to breeze past some of it, but it took a while. I have a thing for old magazines, I have the New Yorker and Rolling Stone DVD sets as well, there's a Playboy one too but I'd have to test the old claim with my wife about only getting it for the (ads and) articles :)

6. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I have the 6 disc box set that was issued before the one in the post I quoted. It included EVERYTHING, including the flexis(no change in quality....)

7. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Liked it very much in mid 60s. Didn't get every issue and never had a subscription, but still liked a bunch. I can still remember stuff...first issue I ever saw was in probably 1959ish at a teenage relatives house. I had never seen anything like that before.

There's no Hi-Fi like my Hi-Fi it's the best Hi-Fi in town,
    When you turn the sound up real real far...you can hear the dandruff fall off Ringo Starr :)

8. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

...including a roll of toilet paper. :)

9. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Occasionally read both it and Cracked as a 'kid' in the 90s, though both were likely far beyond their heyday by then.

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

My older cousins put me on to the magazine in the early 70's. I grew to love its style of self-deprecating humor, and its willingness to poke fun at both liberal and conservative ways of thinking.

The Super Specials were lots of fun, and the Bicentennial issue of "Madde" is one I fondly remember.

I guess I lost interest later on, but the final straw for me was when they started running ads and printing the magazine in color.

Got the "Completely Mad" CD-ROM set in 1999. Makes for easy reading, but there are a few articles missing (due to licensing woes).

And in case you're interested, the missing articles are on this site: http://www.madcoversite.com/missing.html

11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Wasn't that actually called Cracked Mazagine?

12. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Do you remember Marvel's Crazy?

13. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Does anybody remember, after the success of "National Lampoon's Animal House" movie, Mad sponsored a movie called "Up the Academy"? It was horrible~!

Ironically, shortly after that a movie was released that truly DID capture the spirit of MAD magazine...."Airplane".

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That didn't last long, did it?

15. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I started reading it in the late '60's, and stayed with it through most of the 70's, although I know I missed a few issues when I was in college (75-79).

True story: My dad was the librarian for my old high school in 1978. I showed him some article that I thought he'd like--he professed to HATE comic books--but he indulged me and actually laughed as he read it. I noticed that he thumbed through the rest of it, and I pointed out a few things to him. He then realized it wasn't a comic book like Superman or Archie. Shortly thereafter, he ordered it for the library at school. He caught some grief for it, but he said "at least the kids are picking it up and reading it--some other magazines sit there for the month and aren't opened at all."

So, for a few years, the students at Havana High School had MAD on their magazine rack each month (or however often it came out).

JcS

16. omom

omom Forum Resident

I think Crazy lasted around 92 or 93 issues. Just a blip compared to MAD but not too shabby.

I can still remember when Obnoxio The Clown replaced The Nebbish as their mascot.

17. omom

omom Forum Resident

Love the MAD toilet paper! I've got a roll residing in my Man Cave.

18. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I loved reading mad and bought it each month back in '89-'90 when I would get my allowance. I don't remember why I lost interest in it. But I do have fond memories of looking forward to picking it up each time at the liquor store down the street from my grandma's house. That's where I bought my first Playboy too when I turned 18. Boy was I nervous. :/

19. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member Thread Starter

Actually, Mad Magazine didn't have anything to do with the "Up The Academy" movie according to Dick DeBartolo. There's a video on youtube of a tour of the Mad offices where he explains this. Sorry I don't have the link handy.
    Just type Dick Debartolos' Mad Mad Magazine tour on youtubes search bar.

20. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I liked "snappy answers to stupid questions". It started me as a pre-teen on an early road to injecting sarcasm into all my comments.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got into Mad in '86 when I was ten. Picked up old issues and paperbacks at yard sales. Learned about society in the 60's and 70's. Bailed out by '88. I still have all my stuff in a box in the closet. I liked Sergio Arogones stuff best.

22. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I grew up reading the MAD paperbacks that collected B&W art from the comic. My older brother had copies of MAD Magazine from the '50s and '60s that I enjoyed reading and looking at; in the '70s, I bought issues when funds would allow. The comic books were reproduced and bound in some issues of the magazine during this period.

Harvey Kurtzman and Wally Wood were huge influences on me. I was thrilled to have Harvey as a teacher in college, but he was pretty sick by then and I didn't get a lot from his class. I learned more about comics studying his work with Art Spiegelman than from the man himself. My caricature teacher and friend, Sam Viviano, is the current art director, but I don't look at the magazine much these days.

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My favorite period of MAD was the original EC comic book, which was the first 24 issues or so, as edited by Harvey Kurtzman.

Evan

24. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I just felt like posting this.

25. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member Thread Starter

Thankyou!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.