Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I saw it in Read 3D in Gainsville, FL last Friday and I didn't think the 3D added much. Full disclosure - I'm not a big 3D fan and only saw this in 3D because the showtime met our needs.

wayneklein likes this.
  2. CusBlues

I thought the night scenes looked fine. They had a nice, heavy blue tint to them.

3. CusBlues

Did he have a daughter in the first Mad Max? It has been so long since I've seen that movie that I don't remember. Just a thought.

Edit: Oops. I just reread an earlier post. I guess he had a son in the first movie.

4. I agree. It looked fine in 3D. Those complaining probably were at a theater showing it Incorrectly.

5. I agree. It looked fine in 3D. Those complaining probably were at a theater shoes g it I vorrectlwow. I couldnt
    wow. I couldn't disagree more about Tom Hardy. What have you seen him in where he was "bland"? He's been pretty terrific n everything I've seen him with an electrifying presence.

blind_melon1, Cousin It and hi_watt like this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Tom Hardy great in..
    The Drop
    Locke

wayneklein likes this.
  7. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Saw it today.In theory it should have sucked,there was really nothing to it,but it was done really good.the over the top stuff seemed awe inspiring instead of the usual eye rolls I'm prone to.weird but Max was the weakest part of the movie IMO.

8. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

What a superb movie....all the photography...I'm happy they didn't reissue the first movie, it is fine they way it is, the second one wasn't THAT good but this reissue fix that definitely.

9. Well he doesn't wear it at all in thunder dome and was pretty spry in road Warrior with it.

10. really? Like the stunts in the other Max movies were realistic and people could just walk away from them? This is just a hyper version of those films.

It's all fantasy.

As a reboot/sequel to Road Warrior (supposedly Thinderdome takes place after this if I recall correctly), it worked for me?

To each his own.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Saw it tonight and kept thinking it played like a really long Duran Duran video from 1983! :laugh:

DreadPikathulhu and kouzie like this.
  12. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Yes, right when we think Auntie is going to kill Max.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    steveharris likes this.
  13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Miller says in this interview that it takes place after Thunderdome (at the 14:43 mark):

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He had the same expression all through the movie. He just looked cool, that's all. Not entirely his fault though, he wasn't handed much dialogue.

16. Agreed but in The Road Warrior Gibson played it much the same way.

While I Would hardly call Thunderdome a horrible film, it's a schzoid film at best--two films with completely differing plots hammered together. The whole Lord of the Floes meets Peter Pan vibe of the middle section where Max finds and leads these kids just doesn't work. The first 45 minutes of thunderdome is I pressive looking and fits in with the mythology but the tonal shifts are uneven and don't work.

It's certainly not s very good film and clearly was compromised at some point by Hollywood (or Miller, who was very distracted at the time, briefly lost his touch). It's like a kids movie version of TRW. I have to give a Miller props for not remaking the same film but, of all the films, athinderdome feels,the LEAST like a Max film.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Mark Nelson likes this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes but Gibson had stronger visual screen presence. Hardy looks like an ordinary run of the mill tough guy.
    I think I remember Thunderdome as being good until the appearance of Tina Turner.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

All the time....

[​IMG]

20. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Saw it today. Digital (no 3d). Enjoyed it. Thought max and furiosa were good. Liked that they didn't do any gratuitous nudity with the breeders. Also liked that the night rider had a role-that was a good touch...

Recommended.

21. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very different and creative. I love a movie or a book that allows the viewer to fill in the blanks a little. It is a bizarre universe , peopled by strange characters and I thought it was brilliantly presented.
    I went with two 12 year olds (my son and his buddy) I am always a little anxious about content but was pleasantly surprised. Not even quite sure why this got an R. I would see it again tomorrow on the big screen, and that is not typical of my movie going experience these days.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  22. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I watched this again last night, and agree on all points. Seems like it was part of what was going on at the time, to take grown-up content and soften it so kids could see it, too.
    THUNDERDOME was a PG-13, after its two R-rated precursors. It still feels like a Miller MAX film, but feels like it has a thin layer of Hollywood applied to it, with the casting
    of Tina Turner (which kind of takes you out of that world a bit) and her songs, the kid stuff, and the score that feels like it's intended for a much rosier film. Still entertaining,
    though, with some good mayhem here and there.

23. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

He was brilliant in 'Bronson' too!

wayneklein, Mark Nelson and townsend like this.
  24. Well that hardly makes sense though from a continuity perspective (clothing, his car, etc.) or from an emotional continuity perspective. I think that where it takes place is somewhat arbitrary but it certainly doesn't feel like it occurs after Thunderdome and feels more in place (where he begins to rediscover his humanity) before Thunderdome.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. She appears in th first fifteen or twenty minutes of the movie. I kind of feel that, umtil the kids appear, Thunderdome works.

You and I will have to disagree about the screen presence of Hardy. I think he's very much like Gibson on screen as far as his visual presence but he does being a different vibe to the role.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.