Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's a straight-up, unapologetic, action picture. With females as the heroes...

It's that last point, I think, which accounts for 99% of the haters.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some unofficial news has emerged out of Australia about the next film (a prequel), which seems to be already in the works. It could start filming in Australia as soon as this year with George Miller returning at the helm.

The prequel to Fury Road starring Tom Hardy will be filmed in and around Broken Hill. The script is said to focus on the backstory of Furiosa, played by Charlize Theron.

This hasn't been officially confirmed, but I'd love to see more of Charlize Theron's Furiosa.

Ghostworld and Pete Puma like this.
  3. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Thank you for this review^ :righton:

SteveM likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What?!

5. I'm not a hater, I just think it is a very poor film and Max might not as well even be part of it. I couldn't care less if the "heroes" were actually all heroines but the stupid story line and lack of any real plot development or characters make it a king-size borefest. MM2 is so far ahead the best of the series it might just as well be a stand-alone film (as indeed it was originally intended to be).

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Some new developments (legal issues) preventing possible sequels.

Mad Max: will courtroom feuding put the brakes on a Fury Road sequel?

Last week the Sydney Morning Herald revealed the legal spat over Fury Road’s financial splits, with Miller’s production company Kennedy Miller Mitchell having filed a document in the New South Wales supreme court accusing Warner of acting in a “high-handed, insulting or reprehensible” manner by failing to deliver a bonus to Miller for bringing the movie in under its agreed $157m budget and breaching a co-financing agreement.

Warner has countered that Fury Road’s production costs ended up north of $185m due to production delays that put the film’s release back by 14 months. Of course, Kennedy Miller Mitchell has its own counterclaims. Suffice to say it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting a Fury Road sequel any time soon. Warner is even challenged Miller’s right for the case to be heard in Australia rather than California.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

It all sounds like the usual studio trying to screw someone over again story.

Ghostworld and melstapler like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Send in the forensic accountants to work out the numbers, sifting the real from the creative BS....

Ghostworld and melstapler like this.
  10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Just watched Fury Road for the 1st time and it was terrible, and I was expecting so much.. I mean minimal plot, no decent characters, even the action wasn't great. I like a good action movie but this was certainly not one. I'd put all the other Mad Max movies ahead of this one, yes even Thunderdome.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Opinions on the "Black & Chrome" Edition?
    Look grittier and obviously darker. A different experience. I must check it out (by turning down the colour on the TV:D).

melstapler likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've always thought of this one as simply another comicbook movie. Although I've never looked at a Mad Max book, it's easy to imagine the movie on the printed page. I've read a coupla comics in my time and this seems like an old-fashioned, rollicking, nonsensical tale, the likes of which I've read literally more times than I can count! Its not film as high art, but I've enjoyed a bucket of popcorn while watching it!;)

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well it doesn't really tread new ground but it's a visual stunner in terms of art direction and photography and some of the best action direction/choreography/editing that there has ever been.

jeroemba, kouzie and Ghostworld like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Agreed that it was a very poor movie. All style, no substance whatsoever.

twicks, GodShifter, SteveM and 2 others like this.
  15. Shame about the stupendously bad script then. It's got to be one of the dumbest movies released ever.

I'm a big fan of the Mel Gibson movies and have been since 1981 but this one was shockingly poor.

Agreed.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hmm. Check out which film is rated #1 here:
    110 Best Science Fiction Movies of All Time << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

kouzie likes this.
  17. Yeah, I know, bloody ludicrous! All the 5 star reviews in the world can't rationalise the dunderheaded script. Everyone focused on the action sequences which are great but after 30 years I would have hoped for a much more involving and intelligently written film. Sadly this is the best they could come up with.

I personally feel that all the collective minds writing about this film and praising it were either consciously or subconsciously reacting to the desperate state of Hollywood action movies and were hoping for this film to be some kind of game-changer to steer the business in a new direction.

5 years on and it's influence is hardly being felt, is it? By stark contrast, MM2 not only had a major impact on action films but it also influenced music videos and wider pop culture.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  18. And 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't even in the top ten in that poll......I rest my case!

Jack Lord and Bluesman Mark like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well the RT chart is based on the approval of critics and cinema goers alike. Pretty unanimous. You are obviously missing something. Yes, a basic script but what the hell, it's terrific.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Rotten Tomatoes is not a very resource for aggregate ratings, because it doesn't take into account the degree of positivity or negativity. If someone wrote that they loved the film's visuals and action but found that the characters and plot weren't good, this might be interpreted as a "thumbs-up," whereas on a much better aggregator like Metacritic, this comment would get a 50% or 60%, which - if that was the average review number - is not very good overall.

Granted, this film did very well on Metacritic too - I'm just stating the differences between the two main review aggregators.

GodShifter, Bluesman Mark and SteveM like this.
  21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That top ten is horrible.

SteveM likes this.
  22. Probably the worst I've ever seen. I couldn't agree more! ;)

Spitfire and GodShifter like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"MM:FR" is an incoherent mess that would've been panned if Michael Bay directed it.

I'm not sure he didn't! :laugh:

GodShifter, twicks and SteveM like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

25. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

You can't blame a film for not being what you would like it to be. Fury Road is probably the best roller coaster movie ever. Could the script be better? Probably but that's not the point here. This is about adrenaline and feeling, not thinking.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.