Mad Max, l, II, III, love, hate, don't care?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pulled out my metal keepsake boxed blu ray trilogy of Mad Max to start viewing all 3 tonight through tomorrow. Haven't spun em in some time.
    I did the happy dance for sure when that set was released on blu ray last year. :bdance:

I really love the hell out of the first one. Oddly the first time I saw it I was barely impressed. I'm into cars so it caught my eye for that but not much else.

I caught it again some time later and it began to grow on me. It seems I'm going through the same process for 2, Road Warrior and 3 Beyond Thunderdome.

I don't think I'll ever consider 2 or 3 better than 1, but I am warming up to them.

What say you?

Bolero likes this.
  2. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Road Warrior is essential!

3. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

The second one is best followed by 1 and then 3. My issue with 1 is that as a motorcyclist the idea of being intimidated by bikers when you are in a car is just ludicrous. I mean you are in a two ton vehicle with 150 horsepower against people in two wheels holding a chain. Ridiculous. The 3rd one was ruined by commercial aspirations and not really essential. Tina looked really hot though.

4. GuildX700

I always end up yelling at that ***** driving that Chevy to swerve or hit the brakes and take out a few bikes.
    Yeah....that scene does grate on my nerves a bit for sure.:cussing:

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Mad Max II (Road Warrior) is one of my favourites.
    It speaks for itself.
    I had high hopes for III when it came out but it didn't fulfil, and -except for 'Better Be Good To Me'-I've never been a Tina Turner video fan, whether it's 'Hot Legs' or the role she assumes in III.

PennyLanes and GuildX700 like this.
  6. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I really like vI & vII

vI was a real low budget flick though, so taken with a grain of salt. I always laughed at the WWII footage they used, because that's all they could get rights for, & obviously there was no budget to shoot anything new. no pun intended

vIII was a huge box office hype thing, I hardly remember it but it was a bit cheesy. I hope the new one is decent

I have to say, Tina Turner can sing!! wow what a voice. I like her older stuff better though I can't stand '80's drum sounds :D

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Mad Max is my favorite overall. I know The Road Warrior is technically a better film, but I think the first one is more fun. I can't stand Thunderdome.

Hawklord, zen and GuildX700 like this.
  8. GuildX700

I was really turned off to Thunderdome, never watched it all the way through only parts a few times..... until I got the trilogy. I finally gave it a full viewing and now it's growing on me, albeit rather slowly.

Karnak likes this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I love I and II, hated III when i saw it in the theater, haven't seen it since. I'll probably buy this Blu-Ray package.

Hawklord likes this.
  10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Really like them all, though the first is probably my favorite.

There is a new one coming?

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Incredible film.

SteveM and Freedom Rider like this.
  12. townsend

townsend Senior Member

One and done. Should have stopped with the original. A classic.

13. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Yes. Fury Road staring Tom Hardy as Max. It went into development around 2001 and Mel was attached at the time.

14. spewey

spewey Senior Member

The Road Warrior is one of my favorite all time films!!

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Road Warrior is the best. I have a soft spot for the third one, though it isn't that good.

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I remember my first viewing of the 2nd one, we were late to see the movie we had picked, the RW was getting ready to start. Why not, we thought. I was a fan from then on. Love all of them!

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's easily the best of the three. I don't think the first one is all that great. I've seen it a few times but never found it very engaging. I've never made it all the way through the third one.

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ah, that's right, I had forgotten about that. I think I'd seen somewhere not long after the last Batman movie that Hardy was to be Mad Max. He's pretty good. I wonder if he'll get back on the sauce and make himself bigger than The Humungus.

19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Saw I and II once each in the theater when they came out, thought they were good. Never saw three, or watched the others again.

20. I like the first movie, love the second, think the third is OK.

21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I've only seen clips of the first one. Never bothered to pursue any further. I guess I don't care.

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

The second one is the only one you have to have

SteveM likes this.
  23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I've always liked Road Warrior best by a long shot. Like the post above, I fell asleep watching III and never bothered to view it again. Mad Max is good, but, IMO, not nearly as good as Road Warrior.

SteveM and bopdd like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I probably haven't seen these since 1990. I need to revisit them soon. I remember liking all three, but it's been so long.

25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Saw the second one at the drive-in the year it came out and I surprisingly liked it, it wasn't really my kind of film. Saw the first one on TV soon after and didn't enjoy it as much. I've tried to watch 'Thunderdome" several times during the past 29 years and I just can't get into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.