Mad Max Timelines - original trilogy and "Fury Road"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeline Man, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Timeline Man

Timeline Man Time Traveler from Naples Thread Starter

Enjoy my hard work if you want:

THE MAD MAX TIMELINE
    http://madmaxtimeline.blogspot.com/

The original trilogy: "Mad Max" (1979), "Mad Max 2" (1981) aka "The Road Warrior" and "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" (1985).

Of course, "Mad Max: Fury Road" (2015) is an alternate universe, so there's a standalone timeline only for it.

I think you will enjoy my timelines and articles, because they truly explain a lot about the two 'Maxes' and their worlds.

Thank you and... have a nice read!

2. Thanks!

-s1m0n-

Timeline Man likes this.
  3. Timeline Man

Glad you liked it, truly!

4. I have this idea, if I had enough free time I would write a novel/movie treatment about the time between the first movie and the second. Lots of potential there EG how he gets/makes his brace, gets his dog, when he sets the booby trap under the car, finds enough fuel to keep going, etc.

-s1m0n-

Ghostworld and Timeline Man like this.
  5. Nice timeline, thanks!

Timeline Man and melstapler like this.
  6. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Why would you not use the Fury Road comics for the timeline? Whether they're 100% canon or not, they're at least more official than a fan's imagination.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Timeline Man

Hello, in all regards... it's not just "fan's imagination". ;) I based my timeline on what I see on-screen (detail by detail), on movie scripts and Miller's interviews throughout the decades.
    Said that, the comic book tried to fuse the original timeline continuity with the Fury Road continuity, so it's a standalone "fantasy" that doesn't match with what we see on-screen.

Thank you everyone for enjoying my work! :)

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Timeline Man

Waiting for some more feedback :)

9. Timeline Man

Thank you for the likes and the reads!

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It is?

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved it.

12. I consider it all part of the same series of films. No alternate timeline.

13. Timeline Man

There are tons of incongruences inbetween the original trilogy and Fury Road.
    Said that, different versions of "Mad Max", "The Road Warrior" and "Beyond Thunderdome" occurred at some point in the Fury Road timeline as well.

14. That’s what happens when you make a movie w/o plann8ng for sequels. I don’t c9msider those to be anything b7t minor glitches between the new, old films.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What if thunderdome comes after Fury Road? I dunno. I hated thunderdome so much I don't include THAT in the Mad Max universe.

16. Timeline Man

I respect your opinion, even if I don't agree. Thunderdome is the most visionary movie of the Eighties.

Said that, there are two universes...
    Well, maybe in the Fury Road timeline, an alternate version of "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" happens some time (years?) after "Fury Road". In the original MMBT, Max was 44 years old.

twicks and hi_watt like this.
  17. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I watched Mad Max recently and was surprised how pre-apocalyptic it was. Functional utilities, people using regular money working at regular jobs, not enough cops to keep up with the biker gangs but there are some cops, etc etc.

Three years later it’s a Fallout game.

altaeria and Timeline Man like this.
  18. Timeline Man

"Mad Max" (1979) is pre-apocalyptic but dystopian. It was a decay process going on increasingly and exponentially, long before the events involving Max Rockatansky and his family. "Mad Max" is indeed a standalone familiar story occurring in a bigger world.

Not 3 years. More like 7 years. Read my timeline.

19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Mads Mikkelsen should have been Mad Max in Fury Road. That just has to be said. Also, could you expound a bit more about the virtues of Thunderdome? It's been years since I watched it.

Timeline Man likes this.
  20. Timeline Man

Tom truly looks like Mel's son. Impressing.

I say that Mads would be a perfect villain in the Mad Max world.

unclefred likes this.
  21. Timeline Man

‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Prequel Reportedly in the Works

How big do grains of salt come these days? A new report from Australia’s Herald Sun states that a Mad Max: Fury Road prequel is not only in the works over at Warner Bros., it could start filming in Australia as soon as this year with George Miller returning at the helm. Now that is the kind of story I would love to believe, but there are a few odd bits that leave a lot of room for questions.

But first, here’s what the Herald Sun is saying:

Quote:
    The prequel to Mad Max: Fury Road starring TOM HARDY will be filmed in and around Broken Hill…

Pre-production is gearing up on the multi-million-dollar action-packed Warner Bros franchise, with NSW’s Broken Hill Studios Miller’s first choice for shooting, which could start as soon as later this year. Mad Max 4 was plagued by delays when extended rain turned the desert green and the uber director had to move location to Namibia…

The script is said to focus on the backstory of Furiosa, played by Oscar winner CHARLIZE THERON.
    While that’s a move that would make complete sense for the studio (Fury Road wasn’t a box office hit on the level of their Superhero films, but it earned the studio 6 Oscars and a huge cultural cache,) I’m still a bit dubious. For one thing, Miller has gone on record a couple times stating that, while he has more Mad Max stories to tell (two more, to be specific), he did not plan to immediately return to the franchise for his next project. Second, the report alleges that the prequel film will focus on the backstory of Charlize Theron‘s Furiosa, which is a move I can totally see the studio making, but would mark a pretty seismic shift from Miller’s previous Mad Max pattern, which have followed our Road Warrior Mad Max Rockatansky from one high-octane wasteland story point to another with very little narrative overlap.

However, as anyone who follows the announced, dropped, and reannounced projects that litter the film trades (like say, Mad Max: Fury Road for example), plans change so Miller may have come around to making another Mad Max film his priority. And considering how popular Furiosa was, it certainly makes sense that the studio would want to return to the character. For her part, Theron has been unequivocally onboard for the idea of returning as Furiosa in a follow-up film. Bunker Hill also makes sense as a filming location, and indeed, was where Fury Road was intended to film before an unexpected rainfall turned the usually barren lands into a fertile, green landscape unfitting for a wasteland.

For my part, I’ll remain a bit dubious until we get official confirmation, but until then, we’ll just have to keep enjoying the glory of Fury Road‘s raw, CGI-free footage and the long-promised black-and-white cut when Mad Max: Fury Road Black and Chrome Edition, which finally arrives later this year.

What do you guys think? Are you buying this story? Is a prequel the right way to go with the franchise? Sound off in the comments.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Timeline Man

Can't wait to put the upcoming FURIOSA spin-off/prequel movie on there as well!

23. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

If Fury Road didn't include the name "Mad Max" in the title, you'd barely see a connection. It's an absolute total reboot- and that's a loose stretch. Max suddenly became a generic video game character who seemed to do an awful lot of sprinting and jumping for a guy who wears a rigid metal brace on his leg. Meh. Get off my barren wasteland.

24. Timeline Man

It's an alternate universe. Miller himself used the word "Reimagining".
    The knee injury of Max 2 has to be considerably different from the one which Max 1 bore. Even Max 1 used a rigid metal brace in "Mad Max 2" and a reinforced bandage in "Thunderdome". By the time in which the events of "Thunderdome" occurred, Max 1 had clearly reacquired a considerable amount of physical athleticism.

Max 2's acrobatic skills are better anyway, and it shows. Nothing wrong with that, it's a parallel world.

25. Timeline Man