"Mad Men" -- *Final* Season Official Thread (possible spoilers) (part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter fuller

peter fuller Forum Resident

I dunno. They guy was dead, Dick was ashamed of his past so he reinvented himself. Not exactly the most ethical path but haven't we all wanted to reinvent ourselves at some point?

JimC, Rufus McDufus and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And with the guy's widow's consent, no less.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. True. I'll be the first to admit that Don's identify theft is inexcusable. I don't know of anybody who I've talked to about Mad Men who thinks this act was okay, by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, I wonder how much of today's definition of "identify theft" we impose upon Don's identity theft of 1952-53. Not the moral aspects of it, obviously, but the reprocussions of it, which has changed considerably over these 60 some odd years. Today's identity theft, in a world of 1s and 0s, usually has the intent of robbing the unsuspecting victim blind. I know; it happened to my wife. Don, though, it was all about cowardice. His intent was never malicious. That is no excuse for the law, however. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if somebody ratted him out to Uncle Sam. He would deserve this, sure. It would ruin his career, but not financially. His sentence would probably be light, I'm sure, given his social status, no prior record (I assume) and the amount of positive testimony coming his way. The military probably wouldn't press too hard, but there's always a chance of a civil suit (possibly several).

So, if it goes that route, then Don will certainly suffer for his sins. If it doesn't, though, what else is there to nail Don to the cross for?

MMM and Rufus McDufus like this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

At this point I think that's ancient history. The previous season finale closed the chapter on his former life. Whatever happens in the end, it will probably be about the future.

JimC likes this.
  5. And this is really big when it comes to Don's identify theft. The truth is, Don worked his tail off to supply for Anna Draper. Though Anna is dead, bank statements would reveal this. Another thing to point out, is that Dick Whitman didn't try to pass himself off an engineer, like the real Don Francis Draper (which, let's face it, would have been extremely difficult given Don's background). Instead, he used the real Don's little bump, what little leverage Dick could muster to kick start his career as an Ad Man. Most well-to-do people have relied on a little luck, anyway, to get them over the top. It was no different for Don. Then he ran into Roger Sterling, and this rest is history...

This is the way I lean, as well. It certainly would be a curveball if Weiner and Co. took down Don based upon this past. Or would it be?...because we're talking about it right now! :laugh:

I'm just not eager to see Don taken down, too far. But if it happens, so be it. I just hope it's a satisfying ending.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The point of the "identity theft" wasn't really to assume the identity of the real Don Draper (although it did get him out of the army quicker), it was to bury Dick Whitman. Don wanted his family to think he was dead and have a fresh start.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they go into a large church and walk into the light, I'll throw a different brick at my TV screen.

Although... Matt Weiner has said many times that Don Draper is a terribly flawed human being. And the opening titles do show a man falling off a very tall building. Just sayin'.

Small correction: I think he wanted to get the F out of Korea.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Then why does it play nothing but crap? :sigh:

brew ziggins and Dee Zee like this.
  9. It's Tommy Westphall's dream. It's ALL Tommy Westphall's dream. :)

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think they're gonna make a spin-off series about Lou's cartoon monkey.

sgtmono and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

And you think Weiner is in the business of giving people what they want?

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I think the series hit it's peak at Season 5.

alanb and jriems like this.
  13. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

These last episodes haven't impressed me overall.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Seems to me their trying to cram in as much as possible with many characters making final appearance.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Anyone think this week's episode might have been Sally's final appearance? If so, I think Don's advice to her was fitting.

I have a feeling we'll see her at least once more, though.

JimC likes this.
  16. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Don could also have a massive heart attack and die from all the smoking and drinking which was very typical back then. My Dad had his in 1967 when he was 46.

17. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Or maybe... ;-) - from 52 seconds on...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Of course Michael Corleone paid for his deeds with a fate worse than death, having his daughter die in his arms in a death that was meant for him. The equivalent would be Don watching Sally jump out the window, instead of taking the leap himself.

"It's not far from ad man to mad man." - Felix Unger, 1973

Hard Panner likes this.
  19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

What if in the end, Don goes back to being Dick Whitman; the man he is always running away from?

alanb likes this.
  20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I've been saying that almost from the start....Don Draper will "die" and Dick Whitman will be reborn.

21. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

If Don drops dead then the whole NYC ad community hears via the trades that Draper is really Dick Whitman.

22. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Everything feels very dark.

The last shot of the preview of next week's episode gave me chills....Don standing at his office window looking out.

ssmith3046 and JimC like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So that was the series finale clearly. Now what?

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a feeling Diana killed herself, and Don is thinking about what she did.

JimC likes this.
  25. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

That apartment building was reminiscent of the dump where Adam hung himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.